MM Marked Shot build

A Marked Shot focused build has been discussed on the WoW hunter forum and I've seen some tests by Az. So I'm wondering if anyone is using this alternate build instead of an Aimed Shot focused build, and if so, how are the results?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...c=Marksmanship

Can see the results there, lots of people are using it. It has a lot of burst/cleave potential. Especially Explosive Shot+Piercing Shot.

All of these builds rely heavily on Aimed Shot. The builds are the standard Lock and Load/Trick Shot build with Explosive Shot instead of Patient Sniper and in some cases True Aim. To minimize the use of Aimed Shot the build includes Black Arrow instead of Lock and Load and Piercing Shot instead of Trick Shot. Anyone running this type of build with any success?

AFAIK no build actually uses BA and stops using AiS. You use it less, sure... But you still use it. Those logs I linked show people using Piercing Shot as well if you look through them. Depends on what you need in your raid though. Check the Discord.

I currently use this build and love it a lot more then the standard Aimed Shot/Arcane Shot spam build. I don't use Black Arrow though as I use Lock N Load so I can utilize the procs when vulnerable is up.

I've been running the marked shot build without any use of aimed shot for the start of Nighthold (full normal, few in hc). It works great in heavy multi target situations like Skorpyron (especially if people mess up and get extras with the knockback), but it's pretty garbage in pure single target. It's been way, way, wayyyy more fun to play with than the normal trick shot build with aimed, but I think I'll have to go back to that in coming weeks. The tier bonuses, the trinkets, almost everything that could buff your dps doesn't really help with the marked shot build, but they benefit the trick shot build.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

That's my concern, I have the leg belt, so I hate to lose the added dps when using Aimed Shot/Trick Shot. But it would be nice if a more mobile build provided similar results, being a turret is not my style.

Deleted
    Why would you even do something as not using AiS... How do you even spend all that focus. Why not use AiS if and when you can and be done with it?

It's like saying "I'm playing without a focus generator". Patient Sniper is what's stopping you and your movement, if you don't spec it, you are extremely mobile. Not speccing Patient Sniper means your goal changes from "using 1-2x AiS <4s of vulnerable" (which is extremely limiting) to "just don't cap focus and try to have vulnerable up whenever possible and don't lose procs"

Due to the amount of Procs and Windburst, this is basically done naturally.

A "no AiS" build doesn't exist. You can't really call that a "build", unless you'd call the spec of an MM hunter that's currently only using Arcane Shots a build too.

The ES+Piercing Shot build works, is mobile and is being used, but it uses AiS too because - why the hell not. MS has a higher priority than AiS and you cast it whenever it's up.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-01-25 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teos74 View Post
    I've been running the marked shot build without any use of aimed shot for the start of Nighthold (full normal, few in hc). It works great in heavy multi target situations like Skorpyron (especially if people mess up and get extras with the knockback), but it's pretty garbage in pure single target. It's been way, way, wayyyy more fun to play with than the normal trick shot build with aimed, but I think I'll have to go back to that in coming weeks. The tier bonuses, the trinkets, almost everything that could buff your dps doesn't really help with the marked shot build, but they benefit the trick shot build.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
    Doesn't the trinket/2 piece bonus increase the uptime on Trueshot? Surely that would benefit the 'marked shot' build since it allows you to spam Arcane>Marked significantly more.

The 4 piece bonus does play against it though, since you'll be focus capped more often if you don't cast Aimed Shot. And I'm curious how the effect even works with Piercing Shot, since the damage done depends on the focus used, and since the 4 piece bonus reduces the focus 'cost' by 15%, would that also reduce the damage? (Assuming you used it at exactly 100 focus)

Deleted
    Hahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Turtel View Post
    Doesn't the trinket/2 piece bonus increase the uptime on Trueshot? Surely that would benefit the 'marked shot' build since it allows you to spam Arcane>Marked significantly more.

The 4 piece bonus does play against it though, since you'll be focus capped more often if you don't cast Aimed Shot. And I'm curious how the effect even works with Piercing Shot, since the damage done depends on the focus used, and since the 4 piece bonus reduces the focus 'cost' by 15%, would that also reduce the damage? (Assuming you used it at exactly 100 focus)
    Without running Patient sniper Marked shot becomes better than aimed on ST and Multi target, But when you run Patient sniper marked shot only becomes better on 3 target cleave or more. So on any cleave heavy fight where during trueshot you would be spamming marked shot anyway it is best to just got piercing and explosive shot with LNL. There are very few fights that you will go full on true aim/Patient/Tick shot. The only exception to this is that if you have the Belt it improves Trickshot damage according to Azortharion so if you own the belt you just stay Trickshot for majority of cleave fights.

Pounced#1519

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    Why would you even do something as not using AiS... How do you even spend all that focus. Why not use AiS if and when you can and be done with it?

It's like saying "I'm playing without a focus generator". Patient Sniper is what's stopping you and your movement, if you don't spec it, you are extremely mobile. Not speccing Patient Sniper means your goal changes from "using 1-2x AiS <4s of vulnerable" (which is extremely limiting) to "just don't cap focus and try to have vulnerable up whenever possible and don't lose procs"

Due to the amount of Procs and Windburst, this is basically done naturally.

A "no AiS" build doesn't exist. You can't really call that a "build", unless you'd call the spec of an MM hunter that's currently only using Arcane Shots a build too.

The ES+Piercing Shot build works, is mobile and is being used, but it uses AiS too because - why the hell not. MS has a higher priority than AiS and you cast it whenever it's up.
    It's called a build because the talents are built around not using AiS. As others have said it works well in high movement high add style fights, but fails on pure ST. I've used it before as well and it does really well in m+ where you are constantly moving and have high mob pulls, and does very well on fights like Skorpyron and Chrono Anomaly, and other later fights. I've stated before as people get used to the fights and how they work the standard builds that use AiS will overtake this other build, but until then the non AiS build works pretty well and has no learning curve/timing issues to really min/max dps.
    Last edited by Eapoe; 2017-01-26 at 02:28 AM.

I absolutely love this build in Mythic+. On trash i am always top, and with most fights lasting roughly 1 minute I usually end 1st with its insane burst.

#Meterwhore

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    It's called a build because the talents are built around not using AiS. As others have said it works well in high movement high add style fights, but fails on pure ST. I've used it before as well and it does really well in m+ where you are constantly moving and have high mob pulls, and does very well on fights like Skorpyron and Chrono Anomaly, and other later fights. I've stated before as people get used to the fights and how they work the standard builds that use AiS will overtake this other build, but until then the non AiS build works pretty well and has no learning curve/timing issues to really min/max dps.
    As I said, there is absolutely no reason to ignore AiS with that "build".
    (BA+)ES+Piercing doesn't mean you don't have to use AiS, it just means that you don't have to time your focus dumps.

So
    I've been running the marked shot build without any use of aimed shot
    is just stupid.

And if you want to get rid of the timing and or shift the priority of MS above AiS, you just spec out of Patient Sniper, it's as simple as that.
    If you have the Legendary Belt for example, you can still make use of trickshot just fine. If you are looking for burst AoE though (adds/group of mobs that won't survive more than, let's say, 3 AiS), you will use Piercing Shot, even with the belt.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-01-26 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    As I said, there is absolutely no reason to ignore AiS with that "build".
    (BA+)ES+Piercing doesn't mean you don't have to use AiS, it just means that you don't have to time your focus dumps.

So

is just stupid.

And if you want to get rid of the timing and or shift the priority of MS above AiS, you just spec out of Patient Sniper, it's as simple as that.
    If you have the Legendary Belt for example, you can still make use of trickshot just fine. If you are looking for burst AoE though (adds/group of mobs that won't survive more than, let's say, 3 AiS), you will use Piercing Shot, even with the belt.
    Gee, you'd make a great soldier, you seem very good at taking orders without question. The rest of us who enjoy trying different builds will use a little creativity to see if there are non-AiS focused builds that perform well. Maybe there are, maybe there aren't, but it's worth playing with the talents to see what works. If you don't like standing still for extended periods of time while you turret 2-3 AiS, then an alternate build may work better. Open your mind, we're not bots.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanis-Hellscream View Post
    Gee, you'd make a great soldier, you seem very good at taking orders without question. The rest of us who enjoy trying different builds will use a little creativity to see if there are non-AiS focused builds that perform well. Maybe there are, maybe there aren't, but it's worth playing with the talents to see what works. If you don't like standing still for extended periods of time while you turret 2-3 AiS, then an alternate build may work better. Open your mind, we're not bots.
    The thing is, a lot of it has been tried and discussed before, you can feel free to try it again yourself, nobody is going to stop you - but then there's no point discussing it here if you're just going to reply to people like that, is there?

The MS build still uses Aimed Shot, just less, like has been said. If you really don't want to stand around then you always have the derp mobility spec in BM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    The thing is, a lot of it has been tried and discussed before, you can feel free to try it again yourself, nobody is going to stop you - but then there's no point discussing it here if you're just going to reply to people like that, is there?

The MS build still uses Aimed Shot, just less, like has been said. If you really don't want to stand around then you always have the derp mobility spec in BM.
    I appreciate your response, but I wasn't the one calling people stupid for trying other builds. And with the changes made to talents over the last two patches, it's worth revisiting this topic. I'm asking if people have tried different builds and have some insights to share. I'm not locked into any one build, no one should be, since they vary in effectiveness depending on what content you're doing. And yes, BM is much more mobile.

Deleted
    I appreciate your response, but I wasn't the one calling people stupid for trying other builds. And with the changes made to talents over the last two patches, it's worth revisiting this topic. I'm asking if people have tried different builds and have some insights to share. I'm not locked into any one build, no one should be, since they vary in effectiveness depending on what content you're doing. And yes, BM is much more mobile.
    Krayzee just said that it is stupid not to use AiS in this build which is a fact, because it's a pure dmg loss. As long as u don't use PS there's no need to time your Aimed Shots and u just use them as focus dump when Vulnerability is up, while u can always make full use of MS.
    But it's a waste of dmg to overcap focus and not use AiS just because u don't like the skill or something like that.

Deleted
    This has nothing to do with trying other builds, I'm using the build myself, but just like it'd be wrong to not use MS with that build, it's wrong not to use AiS.
    You made a thread and asked about that build, and that build uses AiS. There is no build that doesn't use it, because it's our main focus-spender as MM, no matter what you spec into.
    If you see someone not using it, it just means he's not even trying and you might as well use a random castsequence macro that chooses a skill at random (concussive shot, silence shot, icetrap etc. included)
    You can play Patient Sniper, True Aim and Trick shot without AiS too... but it's obviously wrong. As I said, something like that is not a "build" but more like a "decision to play poorly (on purpose)".
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-01-26 at 04:52 PM.