Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Whispers in the Dark vs Erratic Metronome

So guys, I got whispers in the dark from timewalking chest (warforged 885) and I was so hyped about it as some sims showed that its a bis by a mile. I also got 890 erratic metronome but will talk more about it later.

So basically I was rather disappointed Whispers of the Dark (WitD in future) because it's just not fun to play with at least for me. You have 3 possible outcomes:
    a) it procs while outside of void form (even with lotv) - this happened to me most of the times and it kinda helps u get in next void form faster you dont get much dps boost from it,and then slow kicks in when you are high on insanity so you are ok in terms of voidform duration but the trinket is just dead until next proc
    b)it procs in early/ mid voidform (1-10 seconds) - this is kinda tricky one, the earlier it procs, the less dps boost,and sh*t part is that if it procs at 1-5 stacks, it will last for 12 seconds so until 13-18 stacks and you get a nice dps boost till that point and then slow part kicks in and your voidform is gonna fade alot quicker and you lose kinda alot dps at this part as you get less lingering insanity and stuff
    c) it procs in late voidform 13-25 seconds/stacks) - this is where this trinket shines,the dps boost is insane,but for a week that i have it and i cleared 8/10 hc and had a couple of shots on elisande and 10/10 normal, this scenario happned to me ONLY 3 times, and 0 times when i had PI up. (PI + trinket proc happaned to me like twice in a m+ dungeon and dps was isnane because key was pretty high,and it was week with fortified).

And thats not even the worst part, on average it proced me ONCE every 2 MINUTES, and that's the absurd part. I was just looking at logs, and for example our fight vs Star Augur (kill) lasted for 7 minutes and 12 seconds, and for that duration it only proced TWICE, so basically from it I had a flat 1700 intellect boost and that's it was just dead.

On the other side I have Erratic Metronome that procs constantly, on average it had 75-80% UPTIME. Ofcourse the proc isn't nearly as powerful as WitD,and it has it's own downsides as sometimes it just wont stack further from 2-3 stacks,but you dont get punished after the proc has gone, and I guess it isn't as ''clunky'' as WitD.

Keep in mind that I don't have 2set and 4set bonuses,and my gear levels are currently at 11k haste,5k crit, ~9k mastery.
    what are your experiences and what do you think about these two?

P.s. is it just me or shadow single target damage feels a bit underwhelming at the moment?

There are new sims out on howtopriest for after the nerf to it, and while it's still one of the best trinkets we can use theoretically, it's a lot closer to the other options now (though it scales really well with ilvls) instead of being overwhelming one of the best trinkets we can get.

However, I personally think it's not worth using. It's not consistent enough and since you can't control the proc, getting the few procs you do get during bad times just downright sucks. While sims say on average, the trinket should be slightly better than other trinkets around it's ilvl, I think when put to practice, it really falls short most of the time.

They changed the way RPPM trinkets work at some point in Legion on boss encounters. In WoD, you used to get a guaranteed proc on pull, and a proc every other minute or so based on the RPPM if you had bad luck. Now though, it's randomized for boss fights for some reason. You don't always get procs on pull, and there's no bad luck protection either if you fail to get a proc in a certain amount of time. If the trinket was a guaranteed proc at some point with it's 0.7 RPPM (so around 1:30 proc), it would be a lot better, but I had a Tichondrius pull where I got 2 procs over 6 minutes (one about 3 minutes in, and then another 30~ seconds after that proc). That's pretty horrible. The proc is not good enough to warrant that at all.

That feels like a theme with these RPPM trinkets in Legion, and while I like that RPPM trinkets tend to be more "fun" than regular stat sticks, I feel the pendulum has swung too far to the side of RNG (as is the theme with everything in Legion) and is not worth using over pure stat sticks which you know will never fail you, and also happen to be extremely good.

Don't have Erratic Metronome so I can't comment on it, and yes, shadow has horrible single target if the fight isn't short enough that we can make use of S2M. Mythic Krosus looks like a tough check, so hopefully I'm not going to get benched for it.
    Last edited by Dawnrage; 2017-01-26 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrage View Post
    That feels like a theme with these RPPM trinkets in Legion, and while I like that RPPM trinkets tend to be more "fun" than regular stat sticks, I feel the pendulum has swung too far to the side of RNG (as is the theme with everything in Legion) and is not worth using over pure stat sticks which you know will never fail you, and also happen to be extremely good.

Exactly this. If I could get helya trinket with haste or even int mastery from nightbane that would be so much better than RNG, i've had it enough for expansion. And as for the damage, it feels exactly like pre wod (im not sure about wod because i didnt play it because i didnt like cop play style), the difference is that we have a bit higher aoe,a bit weaker single target (well since 7.1.5) and the strong side is again council type of fights which is a bummer for me because i liked more shadow orbs type of gameplay rather than insanity. (this is subjecitve tho)

damn you guys are gonna kill all my excitement for getting whispers. still haven't seen it drop yet

I have both Whispers and Metronome. I can say that I'm not really a fan of Whispers yet. But that could be because I'm still in gear transition to more mastery.
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

Deleted
    So i rolled an 890 titan forged whispers from guldan in LFR on my Ele. Excitement needless to say was like a legendary dropped for me!!!

2 Weeks later using this trinket through 2 hc NH clears and various mythics and i have to say i pretty much fucking hate this trinket the adjusted random proc rate makes it feel horrible 90% of the time as it always seems to proc when you don't want it or when you have movement coming up.

Its all down it it no being a guaranteed proc on pull, if it was then it would be far far better and actually not feel like its fucking you over the majority of the time with the debuff phase.

Such an anti climax to what should have been a great trinket but now just feels like an RNG awkward fuckfest

Quote Originally Posted by Osanger View Post
    So i rolled an 890 titan forged whispers from guldan in LFR on my Ele. Excitement needless to say was like a legendary dropped for me!!!

2 Weeks later using this trinket through 2 hc NH clears and various mythics and i have to say i pretty much fucking hate this trinket the adjusted random proc rate makes it feel horrible 90% of the time as it always seems to proc when you don't want it or when you have movement coming up.

Its all down it it no being a guaranteed proc on pull, if it was then it would be far far better and actually not feel like its fucking you over the majority of the time with the debuff phase.

Such an anti climax to what should have been a great trinket but now just feels like an RNG awkward fuckfest
    If it proced on pull it would actually be a terrible shadow priest trinket, and as this is a priest forum I'll say I'm happy it doesn't do that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    If it proced on pull it would actually be a terrible shadow priest trinket, and as this is a priest forum I'll say I'm happy it doesn't do that.
    You do realise not proccing on pull or basically when you want it too are pretty much the same thing??

Anyway, it still doesn't detract from how crap it is because it is far far too random and punishing with so many heavy movement encounters in NH.

And also as the OP said the only time it is actually really good is at the end of void form which is a stars align type moment so its still too random.

Yes i am aware that this is a priest forum(i used to post in here regularly in WOD as my main was a SP) but i was just giving some insight from another class perspective that you are not alone in being disappointed with the randomness of this trinket over a more static stat stick basically, which is the whole discussion point of this thread, no need to get all passive aggressive because i posted in your precious forum.
    Last edited by mmoc6c2e0bc3b9; 2017-05-12 at 12:39 PM.

Deleted
    seeing as most seems to think its crap or not good atleast. what trinket beside erratic is recomended to use. highe stat stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqira91 View Post
    seeing as most seems to think its crap or not good atleast. what trinket beside erratic is recomended to use. highe stat stick?
    Kil'jaden legendary according to sims. I don't have one so can't say. ArcanoCrystal is still one of the best as well. And Fury for grouped multi target. I find myself swapping between Arcano/Metro/Fury based on fight. Sometimes I even use Grimoire in dungeons just for funsies with it's huge splash dmg. Too bad it has the 30s CD.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    KJ trinket sims highest, but take into account you lose a trinket and another leggo, so it is generally a bad choice outside of some gimmicky fight.

Deleted
    To be honest with the new paragon trait being a proc also, currently for pure reliability since the PPM system is totally fucked atm, i would just go with a plain old stat stick to combat huge deltas in damage from bad luck on procs.

For instance my 885 Int/Crit stat stick with 200int gem in it is simming literally 4k below my 890 whispers. So factor in the terrible rng occurrences and the movement heavy mechanics of most of the fights in NH, its a no brainer to just run the stat stick because of its sheer consistency, the only fight i even consider whispers now is Krosus.

Still waiting on that Arcano Crystal and hoping the TOS trinkets are better designed

Quote Originally Posted by Osanger View Post
    Still waiting on that Arcano Crystal and hoping the TOS trinkets are better designed
    Spoiler: They're not.

Whispers in the Dark is incredible for world questing, especially Wardens single-target mini-bosses. It procs on pull and by the time the proc is gone the world quest is complete and it's recharge is taken care of by the travel time to the next WQ. It's boosted my WQ DPS tremendously (playing as Discipline).

10+ Year Old Account
    That's something I guess. End-boss raid trinket helps with world quests a little.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailyara View Post
    That's something I guess. End-boss raid trinket helps with world quests a little.
    I'd lol, if it wasn't so tragic........

Deleted
    so with other words if i find a decent stat stick i should run with that instead ? atm using guldan trinket(880) and erratic(890)

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I managed to gain favour with the rng god's and got a relinqushed 885 arcano with socket, now I'm torn between 900 whispers or 885 metronome. I'm not a fan of whispers in a raid setting as it rarely procs when you want it most (but when it does, you know about it) whereas the metronome is just a nice somewhat-reliable trinket. They sim the same for me, but whispers has the potential to do more, even if it is somewhat unreliable :S

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    I managed to gain favour with the rng god's and got a relinqushed 885 arcano with socket, now I'm torn between 900 whispers or 885 metronome. I'm not a fan of whispers in a raid setting as it rarely procs when you want it most (but when it does, you know about it) whereas the metronome is just a nice somewhat-reliable trinket. They sim the same for me, but whispers has the potential to do more, even if it is somewhat unreliable :S
    Look at it this way, it has potential to do more, but also potential to totally fuck you over and make you do less. Metronome is always a flat(ish) increase regardless, so if you are having no problems dowing bosses and you are not bothered about the dps swings whispers will incure(and it will big time) then run it.

For me its a no go purely in terms of the fact that i like to pride myself on try to play with no errors in my priority list so i do not like wild rng swings in already quite a rng damage spec as ele. Even when you execute your rotation/priority list perfectly with wispers it still has the potential to totally fuck your cycle up big style, something that when i experienced it literally made me want to unequip it straight away, it just feels toxic.

From a Sp perspective i can see it will be insanely good in certain situations, i guess you just gotta as yourself "do you feel lucky punk" with regards to proc trinkets in the current state of rppm, if not then i'd avoid avoid avoid!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, my 905 WiD and 910 Metronome let me hit 300% haste sometimes so the downsides dont matter cuz 300% haste!!!!!!!!

Strictly dps speaking I'd rather be using two 900+ stat stick trinkets, but this is what i got and its hella fun.