10+ Year Old Account

[Book] to [Movie] Ready Player One

I did not see a thread for this amazing book being adopted into a movie to be released in 2018.

It is an easy read if you care to pick it up. Any gamer or child of the 80s will love it.

Anyone excited about the movie adaption?
    So far I like the casting.

Just wondering how they will cram all of it into 120 minutes.

15+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't know how well they can adapt the thing to the screen. I mean, if they don't elaborate on the significance of some of the references, could be fine. Just let it fly and the people who get it will get it. I'm afraid though that there's going to beca,lot of exposition and narration for a broader audience. Fingers crossed though
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

Ready Player One isn't good literature. It's on the level of the Divergent series, which I think this forum would more easily pan. But because it references nostalgia and gaming and thus has a built in audience, it's beloved.

I expect it to not be any better than Hunger Games or Divergent, which are pretty mindless movies.

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the OP's comment about cramming the whole book into 120minutes: I don't see how they can do it. I suspect this movie will turn out similar to the film adaptation of Ender's Game.

I definitely would not classify my interest as excited but having really REALLY enjoyed the book, having been a teenager in the 80s, I'll check out the movie once its available.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2017-01-28 at 09:39 PM.

When people speak to me of their favorite book, there are three titles that immediately tell me they have a poor, or rather infantile taste in literature. Ready Player One is one of those titles. It would be cheaper to build a 1980's nostalgia museum than to make a movie. Both would serve the same goal. Hell, the story of your road trip there would probably be better than Ready Player One.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Ready Player One isn't good literature. It's on the level of the Divergent series, which I think this forum would more easily pan. But because it references nostalgia and gaming and thus has a built in audience, it's beloved.

I expect it to not be any better than Hunger Games or Divergent, which are pretty mindless movies.
    A book doesn't have to be high literature to be enjoyable. It's not a great book by any means. It's just an easy, fun read. Nothing wrong with that. I don't really understand why there seem to be so many people that go out of their way to bash the book and people who like it whenever it is brought up.

I enjoyed the book loads. The movie version will be charmless I am betting.

Licensing and specificity will make the film impossible to make as charming as the book. Which is the major draw of RPO.

It's not enough, and largely meaningless, to have the characters in giant robots. Specifically they need to be in Voltron, Mechazilla and the Japanese Spider-Man robots.

Having the hero run through some hallways is not enough. He has to specifically run through Tomb of Horrors, met a lich and play a game of Joust. I doubt we will get those scenes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Having the hero run through some hallways is not enough. He has to specifically run through Tomb of Horrors, met a lich and play a game of Joust. I doubt we will get those scenes.
    I think you've nailed it, really. I was a semi fan of the book but I'm dreading the film... Mostly because the only aspect of the book that I liked is the one you can be almost guarenteed WON'T make it into the movie.

Kinda makes you wonder why they're bothering.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Honestly as long as it's a good movie I'm happy. Ready Player One is easily one of my most favorite books of all time. However I just don't think a movie is a good idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I think you've nailed it, really. I was a semi fan of the book but I'm dreading the film... Mostly because the only aspect of the book that I liked is the one you can be almost guarenteed WON'T make it into the movie.

Kinda makes you wonder why they're bothering.
    This. I have a feeling some of the best elements of the book just won't make it in. But I guess we just have to wait and see.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed the book, but I'm not hopeful about the movie
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    When people speak to me of their favorite book, there are three titles that immediately tell me they have a poor, or rather infantile taste in literature. Ready Player One is one of those titles. It would be cheaper to build a 1980's nostalgia museum than to make a movie. Both would serve the same goal. Hell, the story of your road trip there would probably be better than Ready Player One.
    Never said it was my favorite book.
    Never said it was the best literature america has to offer.
    Seriously get over yourself with the high end literature critic thing.

It is an enjoyable easy read, and has some great nostalgia for those of us over 40.
    I am looking forward to how they will adopt the movie, and if it gets ruined oh well still a book I could read again on a cruise or week at the beach.