Fact or Fiction. Gear for ilvl or stats

Hi all.

So my question is the above. I have people saying "just equip the higher ilvl item, its better" but sim tools like Mr Robot keep downgrading my gear for lower ilvl to grab certain stats.

I think i remember Blizz saying the design philosophy was for the higher item to nearly always be better. To make it easier to know what is and isnt an upgrade.

any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks for all the replies thus far. Im interested primarily for protection spec
    Last edited by zeekphreak; 2017-01-29 at 04:01 PM. Reason: to specify Spec
    Vote with your wallet if you don't like something. Otherwise just keep your mouth shut.

Honestly dude, use the search function.

Gear for dps. Some stats weigh heavier depending on your class, so gear with low priority stats won't do good. Search up on your class forms/guides to get your priority and aproximate weights, then use the weights to calculate gear. To be fair though any piece 15-20 il above seem to be an automatic upgrade for me ( due to primary stats catching up).Also be aware of hard caps on stats.

First of all tell us the spec you're talking about. Ilvl for tanks is almost always would be better than the stat distribution, but it is much more wider choice for dps classes (more for arms and slightly less for fury).

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    First of all tell us the spec you're talking about. Ilvl for tanks is almost always would be better than the stat distribution, but it is much more wider choice for dps classes (more for arms and slightly less for fury).
    sorry. I was looking at the main prot thread and honestly forgot. Im talking primarily Protection Spec
    Vote with your wallet if you don't like something. Otherwise just keep your mouth shut.

Stats matter more when you have "soft/hard caps" on your stats. Currently Fury Warrior have a 30% haste cap, to make the rotation better. So I believe MrRobot is trying to get that cap over the item lvl currently. But if with less haste you feel comfortable in your rotation, you shouldn't bother and go with the +Str on better ilvl gear.

Quote Originally Posted by zeekphreak View Post
    sorry. I was looking at the main prot thread and honestly forgot. Im talking primarily Protection Spec
    There are a lot of little things besides secondary stats that can affect your decision (like slot weight (chest>bracers etc), armor), but in general you should be preferring ilvl over stats, unless its like +5 ilvl heavy crit against -5 heavy haste.

Also, sims can't really understand the importance of buffer hp and event extremes. The most important thing for them is pure mitigation/heal/absorb of the damage.
    Last edited by ReD-EyeD; 2017-01-29 at 04:41 PM.

Deleted
    Also worth mentioning is that some pieces have more stats on them.

Helmet, Chest and Legs provide more primary stats than other pieces. Getting a 15+ ilvl piece can provide a DPS/Surv boost even if the secondaries are less preferable.

I just basically said what ReD_EyeD did .. I guess i'm tired
    Last edited by mmoc75936d2629; 2017-01-29 at 11:22 PM.