Exclamation Machine Gun Spec vs Breath Spec

Has anyone had any success using the MG spec in 7.1.5 . Or is everyone just saying screw it and going with BoS spec. Also if you are using a good MG build would you mind linking it. I really wanna make MG spec work but it's just not happening.

Im doing alrite I guess. Not pushing super high % with it cept for a few niche-bosses (Chromatic Anomoly heroic I landed at 95ish %).
    But I go with the standard OB/RA spec with frozen pulse and Icy Talon. I just pick Ice-cap instead of Avalance based on me having the Leggy-bracers.

I just find it more fun to push constant damage then all the burst ppl are doing now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still running my OB/FSc spec, tried to change to RA, but didn't give me the DPS gain i hoped for, so just went back, and in both M+ and NH I'm not rly underperforming. Might not be the best dps this way in raids, but certainly is more fun to play in my opinion. Frostscythe does have some advantages in the nighthold on certain fights, and i seem to be able to keep up with the RA specced comrades most of the time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by exeetor View Post
    Im doing alrite I guess. Not pushing super high % with it cept for a few niche-bosses (Chromatic Anomoly heroic I landed at 95ish %).
    But I go with the standard OB/RA spec with frozen pulse and Icy Talon. I just pick Ice-cap instead of Avalance based on me having the Leggy-bracers.

I just find it more fun to push constant damage then all the burst ppl are doing now.
    You dont need to play BoS Build, but the MG Build is still not good. You need to play the HW with Freezing Fog Talent and you will be doing more dmg then with MG Build.

If you have the Helm you will be a king in DPS.

If you are playing OBRA with 4 piece you should be absolutely overflowing with resources and making RA expendable. It is honestly difficult to spend resources quickly enough to keep FP uptime high enough to beat out Freezing Fog.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoeth View Post
    If you are playing OBRA with 4 piece you should be absolutely overflowing with resources and making RA expendable. It is honestly difficult to spend resources quickly enough to keep FP uptime high enough to beat out Freezing Fog.
    How much worse would that version of OBRA be with 4p than a breath spec?
    I liked the consistency of it, not a lot of burst but solid dps all the way. With breath we're like a ret paladin that can't have downtime during cd (tunnelvision) which I don't like. And the rotation outside of breath feels awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Woop Woop View Post
    How much worse would that version of OBRA be with 4p than a breath spec?
    I liked the consistency of it, not a lot of burst but solid dps all the way. With breath we're like a ret paladin that can't have downtime during cd (tunnelvision) which I don't like. And the rotation outside of breath feels awkward.
    If you don't like BoS for whatever reason, try 3/1/1/x/x/3/1. It takes advantage of the tier bonuses, more consistent damage than BoS, and more AOE than OBRA. It won't beat BoS on single target (if you know how to maximize BoS; if you don't then its likely this build will be better than BoS for you), but I its a better all around option than OBRA, particularly if you have the legendary helm and/or 4 piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanakk View Post
    You dont need to play BoS Build, but the MG Build is still not good. You need to play the HW with Freezing Fog Talent and you will be doing more dmg then with MG Build.

If you have the Helm you will be a king in DPS.
    What build are you referring to with HW/Freezing Fog?
    Is that the non-BoS GS build that was mentioned pre-7.1.5?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by boz0 View Post
    i can still play the old buid, but if u have the legendary helm you can play freezing fog Buil instead of freezing pulse and do more dmg then with bos

If you don't like BoS for whatever reason, try 3/1/1/x/x/3/1. It takes advantage of the tier bonuses, more consistent damage than BoS, and more AOE than OBRA. It won't beat BoS on single target (if you know how to maximize BoS; if you don't then its likely this build will be better than BoS for you), but I its a better all around option than OBRA, particularly if you have the legendary helm and/or 4 piece.
    That's a nice allrounder build for M+. Works well, even with 2pc bonus.
    A fool with a tool is still a fool.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by boz0 View Post
    like the BoS build but with Freezing Fog and OB or GA

Quote Originally Posted by gixxpunk View Post
    That's a nice allrounder build for M+. Works well, even with 2pc bonus.
    Made some simc changes to improve this build for theorycrafting. Now it's nearly as strong as OBRA on ST, but 10% ahead in AOE (4 targets).
    A fool with a tool is still a fool.

I keep seeing that people don't like BoS because outside of Breath, the rotation feels 'clunky'. What is clunky about it? I have 4pc which really helps smooth out the rotation, but it feels pretty bog standard to me outside of Breath. RW/Rime/OB/FS/Etc...pretty basic. I was one of the few at the beginning that wasn't really looking forward to Breath, but now that I've played with it for a few weeks, I can say that it's verrrryyy strong. I have Helm/Bracers which is helping things in the HB department, but with CoF/4pc/Helm/Freezing Fog it's a very enjoyable (for me) and strong play style.

Not arguing, just curious what people think about the clunkiness of the BoS spec. I'm loving it.

I'm not sure why they are saying it's clunky, either.

Outside of BoS, you have your standard rotation, as well as buffing your remorseless winter. Very rarely are there times with no buttons to press. I find I run out of buttons only once BoS has just faded and I'd done my best to keep it going.

Once those runes regen, and while BoS is on CD, it's a smooth rotation, especially with the two piece. I do have the bracers/belt combo though, which may help smooth things out for me.

I love the BoS build now, and I'm very happy with how it's turned out and how using it at the right time makes all the difference in the world. I look forward to improving as time wears on, too.

Ok don't flame me. I never belonged to a guild and I don't play that often. I play a frost Dk around 905. Hellnette/ Sen'jin if you want to look up. When I use the 4 set my specs are way off like haste is down around 14%. So I gave up on tier set.
    I used BOS rotation but I'm not using it effectively. With running around chasing Elisandra in Nighthold I suck.
    So I tried machine gun. I have helm, arms, belt, pants more but the rest don't help dps.
    I find with pants and arms I can usually maintain 600 k in nighthold. In BOS I struggle for 400k.

Quote Originally Posted by Betjoh58 View Post
    Ok don't flame me. I never belonged to a guild and I don't play that often. I play a frost Dk around 905. Hellnette/ Sen'jin if you want to look up. When I use the 4 set my specs are way off like haste is down around 14%. So I gave up on tier set.
    I used BOS rotation but I'm not using it effectively. With running around chasing Elisandra in Nighthold I suck.
    So I tried machine gun. I have helm, arms, belt, pants more but the rest don't help dps.
    I find with pants and arms I can usually maintain 600 k in nighthold. In BOS I struggle for 400k.
    You necro'd a post over 4 months old. There are better places to look for advice. Try the stickies in this forum.

I don't think it was worth necroing this thread after 5 months.

Concerning your damage: You have bad relics (high ilvl but no Blast Radius), relatively low crit, wrong enchants (crit is a lot more important than haste) and Consort's Cold Core is not the best Legendary. So this somewhat explains your struggle. You should still be able to pull more than 400k in most situations.

Well, this information is pretty much outdated anyway since 7.2.5 changed a lot.