Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account

Demonology 7.2 Revamp?

Hey all,
    I remember some WoW dev stating that Demonology warlocks need a revamp (because of the massive amount of feedback given), but it would not happen with 7.1.5, due to not having enough time.
    So far, I have not seen any notes for the 7.2 PTR concerning this spec. Does anyone have any more news on that or is actively playing on the PTR?

I'm thinking about raising this question in the US battle net forums (I'm from the EU, it seems that feedback is better given directly in the US forums).
    Some of the points they should look at for Demonology:

- Long ramp-up time
    - Clunkyness of Demonic Empowerment
    - Massive DPS loss when forced to move
    - Summoned imps should stay a little longer, to make the build-up for Thalkiel a little smoother

Thanks for reading!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharybdis View Post
    Hey all,
    I remember some WoW dev stating that Demonology warlocks need a revamp (because of the massive amount of feedback given), but it would not happen with 7.1.5, due to not having enough time.
    So far, I have not seen any notes for the 7.2 PTR concerning this spec. Does anyone have any more news on that or is actively playing on the PTR?

I'm thinking about raising this question in the US battle net forums (I'm from the EU, it seems that feedback is better given directly in the US forums).
    Some of the points they should look at for Demonology:

- Long ramp-up time
    - Clunkyness of Demonic Empowerment
    - Massive DPS loss when forced to move
    - Summoned imps should stay a little longer, to make the build-up for Thalkiel a little smoother

Thanks for reading!
    Actually, I think that dev statement was made concerning destruction (mainly embers instead of shards). Don't remember demo being also looked at. I personally don't believe that anything about the Demonic Empowerment will change as they have even done additional traits for it in the Artifact.

Ramp up time is long-ish, but that won't change. If you need more burst (like in normal heroics), you need to go implosion.
    Demonic Empowerment as I said is probably here to stay.
    DPS loss when moving was somewhat addressed by demonwrath being able to proc the enrage arti trait.
    You just need more haste for your last point, that solves that problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharybdis View Post
    Hey all,
    I remember some WoW dev stating that Demonology warlocks need a revamp (because of the massive amount of feedback given), but it would not happen with 7.1.5, due to not having enough time
    They have also stated that no spec in legion will get (major) changes on how they play. But they keep changing their stances almost every week seeing how hotfixes go in all the time. Your best bet is next expansion or keep fingers crossed for miracle in 7.2. tho

Deleted
    Major spec/class changes go in at the start of a patch. Not least because if you make big changes they need lots of testing, and also because it makes no sense to have a class play the "old way" until late in the cycle, as obviously invalidates all of the previous data (such as class balance)

If they were going to revamp demo, it would already be there.So they aren't. It's going to stay like it is. Maybe in 7.2.5....

Personally I don't think they actually know quite what to do with it.

"Pet army" as a concept is pretty tough to implement, for example, you either have a ton of ramp whilst summoning your army, or you let that army be permanent in which case demolocks have crazy burst and dont; have to do much other than let the pet AI dps for them.

Which is why we have demonic empowerment

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post

Personally I don't think they actually know quite what to do with it.
    Actually this is my feeling as well. With the massive changes to Demo in Legion, it somehow feels that the devs need the whole lifespan of an addon to actually make a new spec work. It was the same when they introduced Death Knights back in the day. But since it is only one spec of many classes in the game, I do get why they de-prioritize that spec over other pressing issues.
    Generally speaking, I do like the concept of Demonology. Get pets out, get more pets out and have a "culmination" of the whole ramp-up with a massive Thalkiel's consumption right between the eyes. I'm at 40% Haste right now, so I can actually get the whole rotation flowing kinda smoothly.
    But this does not mean that the spec in general feels well thought-out and round. One boss ability during the opener will still destroy an optimal Thalkiel's consumption – we are talking about 2 missing seconds where I need to move and that results in either dogs or imps dying before I can get the artifact off.

Additionally, without weak auras or similar addons (demon lifespan and Demonic Empowerment monitoring of some sort) the spec is performing sub par.
    I do not think that the players should need to rely on addons to perform decently, but without those Demo is a bucket of garbage and no wonder that other players have the perception that they are better off when grouping up with different classes.

On a sidenote, I've been playing my warlock since Vanilla in all aspects of the game, but I had to relearn Demonology for Legion. This involved lots of research on the interwebz, lots of theorycrafting, a complete revamp of my addons and testing to actually make it work. Should it be like that? I can't say.

Deleted
    I sure hope not, and specially no to making it easier to.play, it's part of its charm

They said they knew there are issues with DE and the short lived demons.

May be for the next expansion.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    From what I remember Watcher saying during that last broadcast with lore was that:

1) they didn't have enough time to make major changes to locks in 7.1.5 because Spriests/others needed more immediate help
    2) they will only make major changes during the x.5 patches and that locks won't be looked at until 7.2.5
    3) Affliction received some immediate fixes (Malefic grasp/haunt) but talent issues, Destro embers and Demo DE would not be looked at until then.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    From what I remember Watcher saying during that last broadcast with lore was that:

1) they didn't have enough time to make major changes to locks in 7.1.5 because Spriests/others needed more immediate help
    2) they will only make major changes during the x.5 patches and that locks won't be looked at until 7.2.5
    3) Affliction received some immediate fixes (Malefic grasp/haunt) but talent issues, Destro embers and Demo DE would not be looked at until then.
    Pretty much this except I don't remember / want to hold my breath for 7.2.5. That would actually be a blessing... honestly I'm managing my expectation down and can only hope for next expansion (which hopefully gets announced this November?)