7+ Year Old Account

I'm almost certain I'm doing something really wrong

Hello forum friends,

I'm an 890 fire mage, doing DPS that puts me around the 20th percentile for my item level. I've been going over my logs with other mages as much as I can, but I can't seem to figure out how to maximize my DPS, despite making the changes they've suggested. I know I need to move some talents around for ST, but I really am not certain what is going on, and why I'm so low for my ilevel.

I can't link my logs because my account here is pretty new, but if you search "Slapfight" on Garona, I'm Søeth, one of two mages.

Please let me know if anything jumps out at you, even if it's just a little bit off. I'm not super smooth on my rotation, but I don't think that's the entire problem.

Many thanks,

Søeth

EDIT: I should mention I have Prydaz and Koralon's Burning Touch for legendaries.
    Last edited by s0eth; 2017-02-01 at 03:50 PM.

I got the same problem, 886 GS now. Doing my rota right, switching talents/gear/legendarys for each boss if needed, pre-pot, timing my second/third burst right and i never reach 500k dps at the end of a singeltarget fight but other mages with more or less the same gear doing 600-700k dps and dont switch gear/talents.
    Using as ST trinkets the Urn/Metronom and for AoE Arans Ruby/BoC/Eye of Skovald.
    Also i prefer Prolonged Power over Deadly Grace only because Deadly Grace pots are overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by s0eth View Post
    Hello forum friends,

I'm an 890 fire mage, doing DPS that puts me around the 20th percentile for my item level. I've been going over my logs with other mages as much as I can, but I can't seem to figure out how to maximize my DPS, despite making the changes they've suggested. I know I need to move some talents around for ST, but I really am not certain what is going on, and why I'm so low for my ilevel.

I can't link my logs because my account here is pretty new, but if you search "Slapfight" on Garona, I'm Søeth, one of two mages.

Please let me know if anything jumps out at you, even if it's just a little bit off. I'm not super smooth on my rotation, but I don't think that's the entire problem.

Many thanks,

Søeth

EDIT: I should mention I have Prydaz and Koralon's Burning Touch for legendaries.
    For starters one of your trinkets is strait Garbage, you also have 3-5k more mastery then you need to have.

Replace Wriggling Sinew with any stat stick pretty much

Ring of Twisted Webbing - Should be replaced with a ring with Crit on it.

Ignore fire mage parses for the most part. Right now they are padded to hell with aoe and if you don't have certain legendarys you're not even going to make it in the top 60%.

i feel the pain too, there some fights that i cant seem to rank higher, but when i look the logs i can see that top 200 players they have the bracers and belt, and that really fuck anyone who dont get those legendarys, of course some times you see some unicorn ranking without those, but again, they are unicorns, with RNGjesus on their side..

Fuck blizzard for making this class so LEGENDARY dependant to rank in this xpac... is not even funny

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yarafx1 View Post
    For starters one of your trinkets is strait Garbage, you also have 3-5k more mastery then you need to have.

Replace Wriggling Sinew with any stat stick pretty much

Ring of Twisted Webbing - Should be replaced with a ring with Crit on it.
    So, gear aside, is anything going really wrong with my rotation? I don't feel like sinew and a ring not having crit is going to account for that much DPS loss. I could be entirely wrong. Would that much more mastery make a big difference in DPS? I know ignite would hit that much harder.
    Last edited by s0eth; 2017-02-01 at 05:28 PM.

So, gear aside, is anything going really wrong with my rotation? I don't feel like sinew and a ring not having crit is going to account for that much DPS loss. I could be entirely wrong. Would that much more mastery make a big difference in DPS? I know ignite would hit that much harder.
    Ignite is "Extra" its fluff, you're set up currently would be great for Mythic +'s but not for raids.

Wriggling Sinew only has crit it needs to be replaced with a Trinket that has INT + something else on it. You also have to look at your kills times Not the greatest for your CD's to line up.

Also you use scorch quite a bit during the start of the fight and it looks like not enough at the end. *this referencing the H Krosus kill.

It is also worth noting that Fire mage are very middle of the pack on Single target so there is that.
    Last edited by yarafx1; 2017-02-01 at 06:21 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ignite is "Extra" its fluff, you're set up currently would be great for Mythic +'s but not for raids.

Wriggling Sinew only has crit it needs to be replaced with a Trinket that has INT + something else on it. You also have to look at your kills times Not the greatest for your CD's to line up.

Also you use scorch quite a bit during the start of the fight and it looks like not enough at the end. *this referencing the H Krosus kill.

It is also worth noting that Fire mage are very middle of the pack on Single target so there is that.
    Thank you for the feedback. I am working on getting new trinkets, just slow getting drops. Wasting a lot of bonus rolls on Chronomatic Anomaly.

As far as Scorch during the beginning of the fight, that's so I don't need to stop casting when I shift positions, to avoid beam or when I'm running back from soaking fire patches. I use it in conjunction with PF and FB at the end of the fight to proc as many Pyro's as fast as I can.

Any suggestions for my CD's on the kill time, or is that something I can't really control?

If you manage to find out what you did wrong and go close to other top mages, do let us know.

I started another thread asking the same thing, why my dps is lower compared to 1) simc 2) other players with similar legendaries. It seems like i'm not alone in that. It could be mechanics, maybe they do a strat that groups up the adds for easy cleave or living bomb... maybe only range do adds on their raid grps, inflating their numbers.

So i tried switching it up. For example, Heroic Tichondrius, i did 540k the previous week. This week i switched to LB/CiS and RoP to use with the 30% buff from the bats, managed to pull 603k. I'm not used to using RoP post patch so I was abit wonky with it and panicked quite a bit but 60k more is still nice.

Until I went to wowlogs and see others doing 1mil. LOL *shrug*

Just going over ur Krosus fight on 1/31.
    Sinew usages 2 out 3 usages. Looks like u didn't use it on pull.
    You don't cast ur second meteor till 1m7s into fight. You would have got 7 cast instead of 6 meteor cast if used on cd.
    Ur cast per minute seem a little low. 43.7. Most mages with belt are around 50+cpm.
    Nothing really seems that bad. Just small tweaks.

Thank you for the feedback. I am working on getting new trinkets, just slow getting drops. Wasting a lot of bonus rolls on Chronomatic Anomaly.

As far as Scorch during the beginning of the fight, that's so I don't need to stop casting when I shift positions, to avoid beam or when I'm running back from soaking fire patches. I use it in conjunction with PF and FB at the end of the fight to proc as many Pyro's as fast as I can.

Any suggestions for my CD's on the kill time, or is that something I can't really control?
    You have shimmer, there's no need to scorch that much, banking a PF or FB or so for movement makes everything easy. This is one of the least intensive fights for moving tbh. Unless ive been lucky it appears he always felbeams the same side on Heroic to start so just position yourself opposite that side then simply Shimmer to other side when he switchs, scorch can be used if shimmer is on CD to get the far back adds but it shouldn't be used that much for you until the end of the fight.

7+ Year Old Account
    You have shimmer, there's no need to scorch that much, banking a PF or FB or so for movement makes everything easy. This is one of the least intensive fights for moving tbh. Unless ive been lucky it appears he always felbeams the same side on Heroic to start so just position yourself opposite that side then simply Shimmer to other side when he switchs, scorch can be used if shimmer is on CD to get the far back adds but it shouldn't be used that much for you until the end of the fight.
    Yeah, I've been using scorch to move from side to side so that I have both charges of shimmer for the ads, as the mages in our group were assigned to the puddles in the very back. I'll try to minimize it, but I'm just trying to keep some DPS going while I'm moving, when I don't have a proc.

I think maximizing our dps is more about knowing the mechanics and when you NEED to move vs when you can just cheese it and blink at the very last minute.

My guild did some H Elisande pulls, first pull i watched the spirals instead of dps'ing to see where i needed to move, the wipe ended with me doing about 400k dps. By the 4th wipe, i was doing 450k, knowing when i need to move to soak the orbs, turning the camera to see spirals while dps'ing. There was a lot of stuff i needed to monitor since i was the soaking grp + running to get in range of adds so i missed out combust+MI timing.

Also my meteors were missing their targets since the tank pulls the boss to the add before my meteor lands so i adjusted by using it on the add and by the time the boss gets there, meteor will land.

By no means is that good, but i think that's a start. Krosus however, i'm stumped, can't get above 500k even when i am lucky enough to not get orb of destruction on me.