10+ Year Old Account

Inmates at a Delaware prison are taking the guards hostage

A tense standoff is underway at a Delaware maximum-security prison, as inmates have overrun corrections officers and are holding them hostage on Wednesday.

Department of Correction response teams and state police are responding to the hostage situation at James T. Vaughn Correctional Center in Smyrna, according to Wilmington's News Journal. Emergency responders from Pennsylvania are also at the scene, a local NBC affiliate reported.

"The inmates have taken over a building," said Rep. William Carson, a state lawmaker and member of the Delaware House Corrections Committee, according to the News Journal.

Details of the situation were scarce, but Geoff Klopp, President of the Correctional Officers Association of Delaware, reportedly said three to five correctional officers had been taken hostage.

One of the officers, apparently reading from a script, relayed prisoners' demands in a phone call to the News Journal made from inside the prison. The officer, who did not give his name, said "there's a lot of them" and "they got my face covered" before the call was cut off.

The hostage said one guard had been stabbed, although no injuries have officially been reported.

Firefighters rushed to the scene after receiving reports of smoke, and were being held on standby, according to the Associated Press. Helicopters could also be seen over the prison.

Department of Correction spokeswoman Jayme Gravell said the situation provided no threat to the public.

All state prisons have been put on lockdown, per Department of Correction policy, multiple sources reported.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/delaw...ostages-2017-2

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Well that's not good.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I wonder what they think will happen? It is not like they are going to let the inmates go free. If they kill the hostages, they all die as well, if they give up, they are all going to be severely punished.

They are screwed by doing this, I don't see a way out for them. I just hope a lot of people don't die.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    I wonder what they think will happen? It is not like they are going to let the inmates go free. If they kill the hostages, they all die as well, if they give up, they are all going to be severely punished.

They are screwed by doing this, I don't see a way out for them. I just hope a lot of people don't die.
    They aren't inmates in a prison because they were smart or logical....... Most criminals are really dumb.

For example- I was watching a show once in which they were interviewing a guy who was in prison for life since he was 20. He killed a guy over a quarter. Yes, 25 cents. He is spending basically his whole life in prison over 25 cents........ I found a dollar on the floor today, I was going to send it to him.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    They aren't inmates in a prison because they were smart or logical....... Most criminals are really dumb.

For example- I was watching a show once in which they were interviewing a guy who was in prison for life since he was 20. He killed a guy over a quarter. Yes, 25 cents. He is spending basically his whole life in prison over 25 cents........ I found a dollar on the floor today, I was going to send it to him.....
    Hey, maybe he's not as dumb as you think. His business plan is to have people do what you said, with them thinking it's a joke. Little do you know, his piggy bank is up to over 9000 dollars now!

Anyway... if it wasn't for the guard hostages, I'd just say, lol, ok have the prison. /locks doors from outside. Reality show anyone?

...kidding. Kind of.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully they will deal with the situation better than Brazil did.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/08/w...el-temer.html?

10+ Year Old Account
    Man that's shitty. Hopefully the SWAT out there can take those pricks down before the officers get seriously injured.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

When it's found out that the "maximum security" is more like running the place understaffed for maximum profit instead, allowing things like this to happen, the profiteers should get locked up in that prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

They should take the inmates down with flash bangs. Flash bangs don't get enough use these days.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    That's not going to end well.

(and everyone else across the state being on lockdown is just brutal - people rarely realize what that phrase really means - totally sucks, and that's on an "already in prison" totally sucks scale)

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    They should take the inmates down with flash bangs. Flash bangs don't get enough use these days.
    Yeah, they work all the time for me in COD BLOPS

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgasm View Post
    Hopefully they will deal with the situation better than Brazil did.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/08/w...el-temer.html?
    Or new york.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    20$ says that this whole thing started because someone lost their commissary