Poll: Should the "mentally ill" be able to purchase firearms?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    In USA, yes because constitution and guns for lyfe
    Rest of the world, propably no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

I recall actually having gotten myself disqualified from the draft by alternating anxious and trigger-happy in my "interview". I'll take that as an implication my government does not trust unstable people with guns. I support them on this one.

Should toddlers have chainsaws? Argue the pros and cons, if you please.

The question is pretty vague.
    I'm pretty sure every single person in the world suffered some sort of mental illness at some point in their lives.
    Do you mean institutionalized patients?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Well considering that he is referring to a specific event in the US the question is, should people who have ever been prescribed medication that is primarily used for mental health issues be allowed to have guns.
    That would disqualify so many people from owning a gun. And it would also make so gun owners suffering from depression would not seek help or they would take illegal drugs/black market pills (or even worse they would shot themselves).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/02/politi...ses/index.html

Should the "mentally ill" be allowed to buy guns?
    There is already a thread where this was discussed that the term mentally ill was too broad.

Which I understand is what happened (and why it was repealed). I am all for harsher gun control but that particular measure was just stupidly done and allowed for far more overreach. Things should be done properly or not at all
    Well harsher gun control would require some kind of test so you would have gun licence right? That would automatically remove all mental sick people from it or disabled (that cannot carry gun in hand and be safe about it). Well in my opinion America gun problem is still not coming from legal gun sales, but from illegal ones. Dealers will not ask for your ID/gun licence/criminal record, no matter what they illegally sell. I think that firearms like shotguns and rifles should be acquired easier, as it is almost impossible to conceal them (and those are weapons which are extremely useful for self defense at home).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The mentally ill should not be allowed to buy guns of course. But it is already the law on the books here in Ohio. What Obama tried to do was bullshit however. Even the mentally ill have the right to due process. And that can only be determined by the right qualified people.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but how is mental illness determined? E.g. for open or concealed carry required for security personnel, in Greece we require written testimony by a licensed psychiatrist after at least three recorded sessions for said physician to attest that the individual is suitable to carry a weapon. This certainly requires a far greater commitment and carries more cost than simply parsing through prescribed medication.
    Which makes sense. Only here in the US the private citizens have the right to purchase and own certain types of firearms. In a lot of states, even open/conceal carry is a right. But regulations do exist on when/how and where.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-03-22 at 12:12 PM.

Deleted
    Yes. How can a good mentally ill person protect themselves against a bad mentally ill person otherwise?

Why shouldnt Asperger’s kids have guns? And the schizophrenia suffers? What about those with depression? All would be safer with some guns.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And you know even that isn't infallible. Some people who are desperate for a security job might find a psychiatrist to pay off and good luck proving that it happened. But at least it parses some people out.
    We do not live in a world where everything is perfect and no one makes mistakes. But as you say, it is still effective to a degree. I am opposed to just gun grabbing or denying the right of buying or owning firearms here in the US based on some family members opinion however. There has to be proven records on file for it to happen here, as it should be.

If you ask me, there should be psychological evaluation for every potentional gun owner. If it's determined you're clearly disturbed/mental/depressed/etc. then you are unfit to use it. Then you can take the test again next year or whatever.
    They should also include a physical aspect: learning to shoot properly and how to maintain a gun.

I'm sorry if my opinion triggers someone. That's just how I feel about it, if I ever decide I want a gun, I actually want to be trained and talk to professionals to determine if I'm doing it for the right reasons / with a clear head.

10+ Year Old Account
    This solves some of the mental health issues in the US.

The suicidal people can now end their lives via firearms they've acquired legally, even after a failed attempt via hanging, overdose, or other various means. This reducing the number of people with mental health issues in the US.

And if a person mows down a school full of kids, the kids were probably going to vote democrat as adults anyway, so it's a win there. #MAGA
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

The fact people voted yes amazes me

Quote Originally Posted by W1sp View Post
    The fact people voted yes amazes me
    They both seem like a no-brain answer, for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    And if a person mows down a school full of kids
    You know, I fear the day when this degree of rampage actually happens because you fools got your way, so the perpetrators of these school massacres start bringing axes and machetes instead, and no longer need to lug around two mags per classroom and an extra rifle in case the first one jams, so they just keep going until their bloodlust runs out.

Gun laws don't remove the source of the problem, which is people. People kill people. The weapon isn't relevant. What are you going to do, restrict edged implements to licensed horticulturists? Ban the sale of steel and whetstones to the general public? What do you think this is, the Meiji Era?
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"