Thread: Superhero Guilt

10+ Year Old Account

Superhero Guilt

Whether it's in comic books or in comic book films, I'm getting really sick of "superhero guilt." It's fine to add a little drama to a story here-and-there, but superhero media lately has been inundated with it... even the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which is typically optimistic and bright, have had to deal with it lately, but over on the DC movie camp, it's made Superman a moping sad sack. Comic books have been dealing with this cancer for a lot longer.

Among those of you who watch and read this material, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Whether it's in comic books or in comic book films, I'm getting really sick of "superhero guilt." It's fine to add a little drama to a story here-and-there, but superhero media lately has been inundated with it... even the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which is typically optimistic and bright, have had to deal with it lately, but over on the DC movie camp, it's made Superman a moping sad sack. Comic books have been dealing with this cancer for a lot longer.

Among those of you who watch and read this material, what do you think?
    I'm furious that they let Cyclops come back to life in Days of future past. They had to have felt guilty to make this happen.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I'm furious that they let Cyclops come back to life in Days of future past. They had to have felt guilty to make this happen.
    Thanks for your input. Has nothing to do with what I was talking about, but at least you got to post something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, with so much power you need to find ways to challenge characters other than throwing a bigger bad guy at them.

That happens to be why I'm not a fan of superhero stories.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy it.
    Aside from in/non-humans, it's nice to see a human side to the characters.
    As much as Civil War sucked (both on paper and film), marvel did a good job of the "guilt" with/between Cap and Iron Man

It's a part of characterization. While it's true it's sometimes used more than maybe necessary, characterization is also something needed. If you want nothing but 2 people fighting each other with super powers or martial arts, go watch some streamers playing fighting games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    It's a part of characterization.
    Oh I'm not disputing that a little guilt once-in-a-while is fine. Spider-Man in particular was known for that... or rather, he was known for overcoming that. I don't see too many stories in which a superhero actually works past the guilt and eliminates it.

The only superhero guilt I see is people like Singer refusing to touch a color other than black for their costumes because they're too embarrassed by the source material to try and stay true to it. Something similar happened with Nolan's movies. Strip all the fantastical stuff out of Batman and it's just a crazy guy with too much money who likes punching people.

Other than that, I fail to see what's wrong with people behaving like people would in crazy situations and in the aftermath of terrible events. Even if those people can shoot lasers from their eyes.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2017-02-03 at 09:38 PM.