Exclamation Trying to make Unholy work but just cant do it.

I decided to give Unholy a chance in this weeks raid and man I failed miserably. I was barely pulling 400k dps. I don't have good legendarys only the healing cloak and ring that gives you haste buff when you cc something. How can I make this spec work. I really enjoy it but the dps is so bad.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a little discouraged but I'm more inclined to believe my item level and patchwerk gear is largely to blame.

Still hurts when I feel like I'm doing a lot of work and see that I'm only slightly above the tank on ST fights. We're not bursty but the sustain doesn't feel right either but, again, this is likely due to the above issues. There's potential but it's locked behind specific legendary items in order to really reach it so it might be better to go Frost with your loot set to Unholy until the bracers drop.

I just spent about 12 hours grinding for The Bonereaper's Hook and am totally in love with it enough to play the spec. I'd rather go back to Enhancement or bump my Ret alt to raider than play Frost even though I like the animations.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I'm a little discouraged but I'm more inclined to believe my item level and patchwerk gear is largely to blame.

Still hurts when I feel like I'm doing a lot of work and see that I'm only slightly above the tank on ST fights. We're not bursty but the sustain doesn't feel right either but, again, this is likely due to the above issues. There's potential but it's locked behind specific legendary items in order to really reach it so it might be better to go Frost with your loot set to Unholy until the bracers drop.

I just spent about 12 hours grinding for The Bonereaper's Hook and am totally in love with it enough to play the spec. I'd rather go back to Enhancement or bump my Ret alt to raider than play Frost even though I like the animations.
    Yup. I feel like in order to make Unholy work im going to need the bracers for sure and maybe the belt. Otherwise, i'll have to go back to frost or risk losing my raid spot because of underperformance. feelsbad. I really enjoy unholy but the dps just isnt there.

10+ Year Old Account
    You need to give us more info. What spec do you play, and what is your stat balance? What is your ilvl? 400k may be low, high or average depening on gear.

I personally do perfectly fine with UH without bracers, or any good DPS legendary really.
    Cerunnir - Frost/Blood Death Knight

Deleted
    I thought I was having the same problem, but now I think it's not the spec. It's me being a clicker. But having been a clicker for 12 years I think I'm too rusted to change.
    Anyone got any pointers on how I could make the transition?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    I decided to give Unholy a chance in this weeks raid and man I failed miserably. I was barely pulling 400k dps. I don't have good legendarys only the healing cloak and ring that gives you haste buff when you cc something. How can I make this spec work. I really enjoy it but the dps is so bad.
    Do you pull 400K DPS as ilvl 900 or 400K DPS as 840? I mean, you have to provide some more info, it really should be obvious.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup. I feel like in order to make Unholy work im going to need the bracers for sure and maybe the belt. Otherwise, i'll have to go back to frost or risk losing my raid spot because of underperformance. feelsbad. I really enjoy unholy but the dps just isnt there.
    No, you don't need the bracers. You are MISINFORMED. Stop right there.

UH and Frost are both specs that requires soft caps. Reach that first. You gotta have enough haste/crit and reach certain level of mastery. And then, you actually have to practice a lot(tadaaa). UH got the most complex rotation of any(personally I love it as well).

The last thing you should look at is legendaries(while they are nice bonus to have, your playstyle stays the same).

Ive been outperformed UH's with bracers(while i didnt have any)same with my current spec Frost(running with the sephuz and boots).

My best advice is configure your OWN Tell me When(do NOT copy paste). Track stuff that matters for you(yet keep it simple and only the important stuff).
    Last edited by mmocd6fe3ee806; 2017-02-03 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    Do you pull 400K DPS as ilvl 900 or 400K DPS as 840? I mean, you have to provide some more info, it really should be obvious.

- - - Updated - - -

No, you don't need the bracers. You are MISINFORMED. Stop right there.

UH and Frost are both specs that requires soft caps. Reach that first. You gotta have enough haste/crit and reach certain level of mastery.

And then, you actually have to practice a lot(tadaaa). UH got the most complex rotation of any(personally I love it as well).

The last thing you should look at is legendaries(while they are nice bonus to have, your playstyle stays the same).

Ive been outperformed UH's with bracers(while i didnt have any)same with my current spec Frost(running with the sephuz and boots).

I am 884 ilvl. my stats are 34% crit, 23% haste and about 24% mastery. Can I ask how much dps your pulling on most boss fights as unholy?

The high crit Castigator build isn't the popular build anymore after the 7.1.5 tuning. The new hotness is the super high mastery Clawing Shadows build. If you can keep decent levels of crit and haste and also push 67%+ mastery you can do some pretty solid burst and sustain damage. If you don't have the mastery gear you're probably better off staying frost for now, your stats are ideal for either of the popular frost builds. If you enjoy the playstyle and can handle the rotation, the BoS frost build is great for just about every fight in Nighthold.

Deleted
    I am 884 ilvl. my stats are 34% crit, 23% haste and about 24% mastery. Can I ask how much dps your pulling on most boss fights as unholy?
    Im on atleast 98% parse in EN with less gear and stats and I could deal atleast 400K and 700K on Cenarious(without bracers). All this before the patch and buffs.

I did swap to Frost after patch thou.

Your numbers are not too bad. I think when you learn the fights in NH, you can easyli do 200K more with current gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    Im on atleast 98% parse in EN with less gear and stats and I could deal atleast 400K and 700K on Cenarious(without bracers). All this before the patch and buffs.

I did swap to Frost after patch thou.

Your numbers are not too bad. I think when you learn the fights in NH, you can easyli do 200K more with current gear.
    What about on Heroic Ursoc? how much dps you doing there?

Deleted
    What about on Heroic Ursoc? how much dps you doing there?
    Why do you ask? Im not UH anylonger.

Just go to warcraftlogs.com and compare yourself.

I am 88% mastery with food buff now, I don't have the legendary bracers, but I have the belt, and I am doing rather well on pretty much all the fights in Nighthold. I am not able to keep up with the fury warriors, hunters or assassination rogues on single target fights, but as soon as some cleave is introduced, I am in top 3 most of the time.

It really comes down to having a shit ton of mastery, while maintaining a decent amount of haste and crit at the same time.

Deleted
    First off, never listen to Strifeload.
    Yes unholy is still dependent on the legendary bracers, even though they where nerfed, the mastery build buffed them back up. They are still miles ahead of every other unholy legendary. Especially if we are talking single target.

If we are talking multi target its all about learning to maximize cs cleave. Drop dnd 1 secobd before the incomming adds and have enough runes ready to push your dps in that tiny window (you have do stay in dnd for the cleave, not the adds).

God these words. UH is not DEPENDENT on the bracers. Is fury DEPENDENT on the helm? No. They are simply very powerful binuses, akin to a.really good trinket. They are impactful, they are not necessary.

UH is fine without bracers now. They were nerfed, the were not "buffed by the patch, the proc rate is now very low. It is a rathwr challenging rotation though. It is something requires constant global to global attention and planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Khlavkalash View Post
    First off, never listen to Strifeload.
    Yes unholy is still dependent on the legendary bracers, even though they where nerfed, the mastery build buffed them back up. They are still miles ahead of every other unholy legendary. Especially if we are talking single target.

If we are talking multi target its all about learning to maximize cs cleave. Drop dnd 1 secobd before the incomming adds and have enough runes ready to push your dps in that tiny window (you have do stay in dnd for the cleave, not the adds).
    Strifeload may be a little biased, but more importantly he's tired of hearing the community saying that UH isn't viable. It is, be it bracers or not. I agree with him in the sense that Unholy is simply harder to play. Strifeload probably knew how to play his class. I don't care if he showed heroic parse or not, because it wouldn't have mattered if he was playing mythic or heroic. The most important part is he probably knew how to DPS as much as he could.

What this community fails to understand is how to play this class.

For single target fights, it's pretty obvious bracers gives a nice buff. But I fear people are overestimating the bracers. Like if they got them, they'd magically see their DPS go up to 50% more.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    For single target fights, it's pretty obvious bracers gives a nice buff. But I fear people are overestimating the bracers. Like if they got them, they'd magically see their DPS go up to 50% more.
    There are very few items in the game where you're going to a minimum 20kdps buff just by equipping them (after they were nerfed).

The fact is we're back to where we were in EN, sort of ok in week one but once everyone got their 4pc and NH trinkets we returned to the dumpster fire.
    Without the bracers you have to move heaven and earth to try and stay viable, people like to use a really specific version of viable on the wow forums which means 'meets the very minimum dps requirement to kill a boss' take at guess which is the only spec yet to meet the minimum requirement on mythic Krosus (you need 650k averaged across all the dps to beat enrage)? That is the actual definition of being carried.
    'Why do you care about MKrosus only *made up number* of the population has even seen it you can clear heroic as unholy that's all that matters.'
    I'm 4/10 and at this point unholy being hot ass might cost me a riad spot so yeas I care.

I love unholy and I'm not going back to BoS frost because it plays like ass but at this point our ST damage is meh and the limitations of our aoe being tied to a 30sCD planted to the ground when compared to everyone else's are becoming pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Burningdark View Post
    The high crit Castigator build isn't the popular build anymore after the 7.1.5 tuning. The new hotness is the super high mastery Clawing Shadows build. If you can keep decent levels of crit and haste and also push 67%+ mastery you can do some pretty solid burst and sustain damage. If you don't have the mastery gear you're probably better off staying frost for now, your stats are ideal for either of the popular frost builds. If you enjoy the playstyle and can handle the rotation, the BoS frost build is great for just about every fight in Nighthold.
    67% Mastery is not some magic number you need for CS builds, which people continually misremember from the guide :P
    That's simply a number where the ghoul mastery scaling isn't a reduction in damage, and anything above that is a gain in damage.