Deleted

Wow legion new GPU 1440p

Hello Mmo guys

I am thinking of upgrading my build atm.

Budget: 1300-1500 €
    Resolution: 1440p 90hz 27"
    Games / Settings Desired: Ultra maxed 90hz
    Parts that can be reused:
    Got I7-4770k 4.2 Ghz CPU. 16gb 1600Mhz memory, 256gb SSD.
    I play on the main 1440p 27" 90hz IPS monitor, but I also have 2 24" 60hz 1080p for other stuff. So a total of 3 monitors.

I currently have 780 SLI. I have the settings an 7 medium. I really wants to play it maxed with 90hz consistently.

I am thinking of 1080ti IF it comes. But is that an overkill?

Best regards Mufufu
    Last edited by mmoc2816262d41; 2017-02-03 at 08:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mufufu View Post
    Hello Mmo guys

I am thinking of upgrading my build atm.

Budget: 1300-1500 €
    Resolution: 1440p 90hz 27"
    Games / Settings Desired: Ultra maxed 90hz
    Parts that can be reused:
    Got I7-4770k 4.2 Ghz CPU. 16gb 1600Mhz memory, 256gb SSD.
    I play on the main 1440p 27" 90hz IPS monitor, but I also have 2 24" 60hz 1080p for other stuff. So a total of 3 monitors.

I currently have 780 SLI. I have the settings an 7 medium. I really wants to play it maxed with 90hz consistently.

I am thinking of 1080ti IF it comes. But is that an overkill?

Best regards Mufufu
    Is this for WOW only?

Deleted
    Pretty much. Wow, Fallout and maybe some future MMO.

Deleted
    All I would do is sell those 780's and get a better single card solution then. The rest is fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpoolie View Post
    All I would do is sell those 780's and get a better single card solution then. The rest is fine.
    That is also my plan but which GPU.
    Is 1080 enough or 1080ti for 1440p 90hz 27"?

Deleted
    For Wow a 1070 would do the job (all will struggle at some points to hit 90hz due to the game being CPU dependant) but if you're playing other stuff and you have cash to burn go higher. Myself I'd go 1070 and have a nice week somewhere warm with plenty of beer with the rest of your budget .

Deleted
    Will the 1080 Max out settings with 90hz even with 3 monitors? Like I only play on the main but the two others will be used for streams youtube etc.

Now and then also stream myself. Would it be worth offering some more money on 1080/1080ti?

And thank alot for you help. I really appreciate that!
    Last edited by mmoc2816262d41; 2017-02-04 at 01:00 PM.

You will not stay at 90 fps no matter what in wow at max settings, I'm using an i7 6700k and a gtx 1080 at 1440p and drop back to 50-60fps in certain area's , that's more on the CPU then the GPU though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    You will not stay at 90 fps no matter what in wow at max settings, I'm using an i7 6700k and a gtx 1080 at 1440p and drop back to 50-60fps in certain area's , that's more on the CPU then the GPU though.
    Hmm but my CPU is never above 50%?

Quote Originally Posted by Mufufu View Post
    Hmm but my CPU is never above 50%?
    that's for all cores, there should be 1 core that is more or less maxed out. There are dozens and dozens of threads on this forum explaining how wow works on CPU's.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    that's for all cores, there should be 1 core that is more or less maxed out. There are dozens and dozens of threads on this forum explaining how wow works on CPU's.
    Don't work like that. There is tech in place that splits the load of otherwise a single threaded program to all available CPU threads. But the total workload can't exceed 1 thread's 100% performance. So on an i7, it splits the 100% load of Thread#1 to 12.5% on all threads.

This is done to avoid heat issues, as it's much more sustainable to run 8 threads at 12.5% than 1 thread at 100%.

yeah except that wow's main thread can't be split up and is what is limiting the game, most if not all MMO's have this problem. like I said, this is a well known fact on these boards and as such wow's performance is mostly tied to a single cores IPC, that's also the reason wow is playable on high ghz dual core modern CPU's.

Everywhere in the game where a lot is going on you will see drops in performance.mostly 20+ mand raids (not lfr where people just go trough the motions), main cities and places like suramar.

You cant multi-thread things that require serial processing.

WoW is terrible to play at 1440. As any other competitive online video game. Although maybe it's just me, but I just never got used to playing games like dota2, lol, WoW, overwatch at 2560x1440 resolution. Now I'm stuck always using 1080 or less windowed mode.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    WoW is terrible to play at 1440. As any other competitive online video game. Although maybe it's just me, but I just never got used to playing games like dota2, lol, WoW, overwatch at 2560x1440 resolution. Now I'm stuck always using 1080 or less windowed mode.
    The only problem I have with 1440 resolution is the games with lots of text and a non-scaling interface. Text is so damn small I have to lean in and squint to read shit. Civ 5/6, and the Europa Universalis games are the primary culprits that I've run in to with this problem. I have no idea why you wouldn't want to play WoW, Dota or Overwatch in 1440. They run great and the interfaces and text scale just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    The only problem I have with 1440 resolution is the games with lots of text and a non-scaling interface. Text is so damn small I have to lean in and squint to read shit. Civ 5/6, and the Europa Universalis games are the primary culprits that I've run in to with this problem. I have no idea why you wouldn't want to play WoW, Dota or Overwatch in 1440. They run great and the interfaces and text scale just fine.
    I have to move my mouse too much to view everything. If I could adjust the FOV further in Overwatch or scroll the view back a bit in mobas, as well as WoW, then there wouldn't be a problem. At 2560x1440 (this problem is especially apparent for me while playing at full resolution) I have to move my hand/arm too much to see stuff. It's just uncomfortable. They can't scale the view for your monitor because that would be a disadvantage for those who play at smaller resolutions, so you're stuck with a 1440 but now you have to move your head/eyes too much, as well as your hand/arm.

This is not a problem for single player games as they usually don't have such scaling problems. I just sit back, plug in my gamepad and roll with it. Multiplayer games on the other hand are very restrictive in this regard.