What Diablo 4 can learn from Diablo 1-3

Hey guys,
    Just wanted to put down my thoughts on the series as a long time fan. I'm sure D4 is being worked on, and I'm excited at what the possibilities are.

I've put together some thoughts in a constructed format on what D4 can learn from the series (mostly D1&2 but I do cover a few topics from D3).

Thoughts guys?
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2017-02-05 at 06:00 PM. Reason: removed advertising.

I enjoyed the presentation! Couple of points that I'd like to expand on;

Story progress in Diablo was always a fairly linear and minimal affair, quests included. I think that if the developers were to make another title, they might want to let that aspect of the game go, and focus on cooler gameplay-centric features. Midway through the video, you mentioned a physics-based approach to spellcasting, where spells could be cast on top of each other in order to get various effects out the different abilities available to your class - I think that this is a really awesome idea, and the potential for multiplayer funsies there is enormous.

Secondly, when you say that potions should make a return, I think that the problem runs deeper than that. Diablo 3 completely did away with the idea of inventory management in such a way that the player's backpack became nothing more than an alarm clock that went "Bzzt, time to go back to town!" when he couldn't carry any more gear. Unlike similar ARPGs which use this sort of inventory system, you can't rotate your hard-earned loot and play tetris with it, nor do you have to think about whether all those charms are really worth carrying around. This is definitely something that Blizzard should seriously consider doing a full 180 degree on - bring inventory management back, and expand on it.

Lastly, grinds (such as the pre-Nightmare Bhaal runs that you outlined in a later part of the video) are a good concept in my opinion, with the caveat that they should be used very sparingly. Sometimes it can feel good to slow down and rerun previous content in a more efficient way, as it will feel like a certain mastery over previous hardships was achieved. A transition to the next "difficulty" can be a good time to introduce a little bit of grinding, as this can be a way to emphasize that the next step is so big that it will require a bit more preparation than usual to overcome. The payoff is that once you do get to that next level, it feels awesome!

I probably babbled on for a little too long but, agree or disagree, it was nice to see someone take active interest in a constructive approach to the next Diablo title. I subscribed and I'll be on the lookout for some of your other videos.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly hope they finally drop the isometric format and go more for a super frantic 3rd person hack'n'slash style next time with a semi-open world. Bosses/enemies/environments would be for more disgusting looking, challenging, and intimidating in this viewpoint as well. Go look at bosses in Bayonetta 1&2, Drakengard series, etc for some of the best examples of how more terrifying/interesting Diablo bosses could be.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

-Potions: I like the PoE system, mixes permanent potions with smart play. No need to clog your inventory with them. Also allows D3 leg potions and promotes smart use of them.
    -Attributes: Can be nice if done well, I don't really feel like it has been done well in a game yet. Wouldn't mind seeing something like the D2/TL2 skill tree to improve skills but not nescessarily deny acces to other skills.
    -Art/story: Largely subjective. I'm fine with old Diablo or D3 art. Story probably shouldn't just build on D3 story that has corrupted nephalem or sees the evils come back again.
    -Story telling: D2 gameplay feels more fluid because you can just read/skip but D3 was more interactive. Limiting cutscenes would be fine by me. I feel like this stuff is somewhat subjective aswell.

Personal notes

-RNG =/= longevity. We need some clear direction rather than just endless rifts.
    -More focus on the character itself, don't put all the power in the gear.
    -More freedom with gear, don't lock us into the majority of the items we can equip just to make a build playable.
    -Story mode should be more relevant. Unlock rifts by completing the story for example, unlock bounties by doing the act. Don't just toss something that took a lot of effort to the side after players did it once (per class).
    -Less focus on level cap, the whole journey matters, not just what you do once you rushed to max level.
    -Less difficulties, adjust them as you powercreep, don't just keep piling them on.
    -Account wide stuff is great, don't go too far. Give a character identity rather than it having all paragon etc from a main. Give me a reason to play the alt.
    -Rebirth system is 10/10. Keep it!

That looks better, I think, tried to consolidate my thoughts rather than writing a GD essay.

We don't allow for threads advertising video or social channels. Please stick to the video thread.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.