Thread: Demo DPS Help

Demo DPS Help

Hello Everyone,

Just posting to see if someone can see an error I'm making here with Demo either in build, rotation or gearing. I'm pretty sure I have a clear grasp of the rotation and class, but I feel like I'm hitting a wall and I'm rated in a pretty low percentile in warcraftlogs. If anyone could take a look at my most recent log which would probably have the majority of errors since we were learning new mechanics, I'd appreciate the feedback:

warcraftlogs.com/reports/Yjfkv9LF1DTGRhPx#type=damage-done&source=12

us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dalaran/Imbohl/advanced

Thanks in advance!

Are we talking about Guldan or in General?

First think i would suggest: More use of Demonwrath, everytime you move, more than 2 targets etc.

Also if you play with Pharamere´s use it more often, in a 11 min. Fight you used it only 5 times. i would rather not use it on Guldan any stat stick Haste or Metronom, which u own, will perfom better in my opinion.

Another think to keep in mind is ur usage of Time Dilation. Use it on Cooldown if there is no Firedmg incoming in form of Hellfire or Empowered Eye of Guldan or try to time it in a way so u have it ready to Cleave Eye of Guldan with Demonwrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Seuchentiffy View Post
    Are we talking about Guldan or in General?

First think i would suggest: More use of Demonwrath, everytime you move, more than 2 targets etc.

Also if you play with Pharamere´s use it more often, in a 11 min. Fight you used it only 5 times. i would rather not use it on Guldan any stat stick Haste or Metronom, which u own, will perfom better in my opinion.

Another think to keep in mind is ur usage of Time Dilation. Use it on Cooldown if there is no Firedmg incoming in form of Hellfire or Empowered Eye of Guldan or try to time it in a way so u have it ready to Cleave Eye of Guldan with Demonwrath.
    Thanks! I was more thinking overall, here's my overall and a log from that night's Botanist kill. All of this is good advice though, and I just got an 895 Metronome I'll probably replace Pharamere's for since for whatever reason Pharamere's was such a pain to macro, hated actually going off even when it was in range for some reason. I'll definitely use more Time Dialation going forward, was definitely overly cautious that night.

OVERALL:
    warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/13865065/latest#

Botanist:
    warcraftlogs.com/reports/Yjfkv9LF1DTGRhPx#fight=1&type=damage-done&source=12

Quote Originally Posted by Morov View Post
    Thanks! I was more thinking overall, here's my overall and a log from that night's Botanist kill. All of this is good advice though, and I just got an 895 Metronome I'll probably replace Pharamere's for since for whatever reason Pharamere's was such a pain to macro, hated actually going off even when it was in range for some reason. I'll definitely use more Time Dialation going forward, was definitely overly cautious that night.

OVERALL:
    warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/13865065/latest#

Botanist:
    warcraftlogs.com/reports/Yjfkv9LF1DTGRhPx#fight=1&type=damage-done&source=12
    Talking about Overall i can only suggest that you look at your Raid and were the Dmg is needed and choose ur talents and gameplay trough this.

Skorpyron for example as a Demolock, well lets just say if the Adds die quickly there is not much use in AOE just try to cleave from the Big Add or from the Boss via Wrath and HoG and focus more on Boss Dmg.

Overall i would say try to optimise ur movement via portal or gateway, choose ur talents according to the Bosses.
    Aluriel and Botanist are good examples for that if the adds life long enough try to play with Darkglare and impending doom espicially on Botanist its a good way to Cleave, just try to time your Darkglare usage to lets say the lasher Spwn´s. Dot everything up Pop it = Win.

U could even use Darkglae on Elisandre, with all the movement involved in that fight and often 3 Adds up it´s a good choice.

Awesome, yeah I need to play around with Darkglare more. I generally just stick to demon even when I modify my build to aoe. I'll go back and workshop your suggestions, Seuchentiffy, thanks for the feedback!

I had a chance to look through your logs and a couple of things jumped out at me. I'm certainly not a warlock expert, but we have similar ilevels and I am consistently in the blue-purple range when it comes to damage for ilevel. (I'll link a couple logs below).

First, I think you are not casting DE nearly enough. On almost all the logs I looked at about 20% or so of demon summons are not followed by DE. That is costing you a massive amount of damage. There are several times where you Grimoire:Felguard and don't cast DE at all, reducing the damage it will do by 50% or more. Same thing with doomguard. As a general rule following any demon summon you should be instantly casting DE, not waiting, not casting demonbolt etc... The only real exception to this is if you can back to back cast demons (ie call dreadstalkers into immediately casting a full hand of gul'dan). On botanist, compared to my log, we took him down 50 seconds faster, yet you cast DE 1/3 less. This is probably your largest issue.

If you have trouble keeping track of DE, or your demons in general, download Not's WA for demo (linked in his post). It is almost mandatory for playing the spec correctly and tracking your demons/buffs.

Second issue I see at times is wasted shards. In the botanist fight you "wasted" 31 shards. You can see this by going to resources, and changing to shards. Each shard represents an imp through HoG, which will pump out 200-300k over its lifespan. So there is another 5-10 million dmg lost on that fight. The other fights were better in regards to shard management, so maybe this was a one off. If you do not have the add on "doom shards" I would get that also.

Third is buffs/consumables. It seems like you are not using a flask/food and consistently pre-potting/potting during the fight. Missing the flask is 1.3 k intellect. which translates to roughly 13k dps. Good food buff can add several thousand dps. You are probably missing 20-30k dps by not flasking and potting. Which is a super easy way to add damage.

Fourth is talent choices. Except for pure single target impending doom is a better talent compared to improved dreadstalkers. Basically every fight but Krosus should be ID. And even on ST it is not much of a loss. You are losing a ton of cleave damage on Spellblade, Botanist, Gul'dan and Elisande.

These are just some of the bigger things I noticed. You can also try experimenting with different builds (like darkglare), but they are more "complex" than the generic Demo build and I would work on mastering the basic play style first.

Quote Originally Posted by Morggie View Post
    I had a chance to look through your logs and a couple of things jumped out at me. I'm certainly not a warlock expert, but we have similar ilevels and I am consistently in the blue-purple range when it comes to damage for ilevel. (I'll link a couple logs below).

First, I think you are not casting DE nearly enough. On almost all the logs I looked at about 20% or so of demon summons are not followed by DE. That is costing you a massive amount of damage. There are several times where you Grimoire:Felguard and don't cast DE at all, reducing the damage it will do by 50% or more. Same thing with doomguard. As a general rule following any demon summon you should be instantly casting DE, not waiting, not casting demonbolt etc... The only real exception to this is if you can back to back cast demons (ie call dreadstalkers into immediately casting a full hand of gul'dan). On botanist, compared to my log, we took him down 50 seconds faster, yet you cast DE 1/3 less. This is probably your largest issue.

If you have trouble keeping track of DE, or your demons in general, download Not's WA for demo (linked in his post). It is almost mandatory for playing the spec correctly and tracking your demons/buffs.

Second issue I see at times is wasted shards. In the botanist fight you "wasted" 31 shards. You can see this by going to resources, and changing to shards. Each shard represents an imp through HoG, which will pump out 200-300k over its lifespan. So there is another 5-10 million dmg lost on that fight. The other fights were better in regards to shard management, so maybe this was a one off. If you do not have the add on "doom shards" I would get that also.

Third is buffs/consumables. It seems like you are not using a flask/food and consistently pre-potting/potting during the fight. Missing the flask is 1.3 k intellect. which translates to roughly 13k dps. Good food buff can add several thousand dps. You are probably missing 20-30k dps by not flasking and potting. Which is a super easy way to add damage.

Fourth is talent choices. Except for pure single target impending doom is a better talent compared to improved dreadstalkers. Basically every fight but Krosus should be ID. And even on ST it is not much of a loss. You are losing a ton of cleave damage on Spellblade, Botanist, Gul'dan and Elisande.

These are just some of the bigger things I noticed. You can also try experimenting with different builds (like darkglare), but they are more "complex" than the generic Demo build and I would work on mastering the basic play style first.
    Thanks for this Morggie! I'll keep this in mind, shake up my spec with ID (I haven't touched it since they fixed it) and grab Doom Shard. Agreed Not's WA is required, I had been holding off on DE if I was able to have more demons on the board within a cast or two of the previous summon. I'll make sure to close that gap now, the Doomguard and Felguard slipping through were definitely errors, not sure how that managed to happen.

And thanks for tipping me off to the shard counter in logs, I was actually worried I've been wasting shards in some fights and I just got 2pc tier, so switching to ID this becomes more important than ever to make sure I'm not wasting anything.

Appreciate the feedback!