Finding a less progressive game to occupy my free time...

Whats up all,

I play WoW at the moment but am finding it fairly pointless as I'm gaining nothing by playing it as I'm a complete 2-3 day a week casual. So I'm scratching my head as to what other games I could try.

LoL, HS are the obvious ones but i sometimes have to afk etc which I can't do in either (no afking in town here!!)

Not sure what else there is to try that isn't going to hugely punish me for being casual?

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars 2. Pretty good community too.

Played that quite a bit, did a little raiding and a lot of pvp, but it's hit and miss with me, I either love the game for a month or hate it for 2.

Also played Diablo3, dark age of Camelot (loved this game) finding my time for playing limited so no point wasting my time on WoW, need to find something a little less "hardcore"

Quote Originally Posted by Yhcti View Post
    Played that quite a bit, did a little raiding and a lot of pvp, but it's hit and miss with me, I either love the game for a month or hate it for 2.

Also played Diablo3, dark age of Camelot (loved this game) finding my time for playing limited so no point wasting my time on WoW, need to find something a little less "hardcore"
    GW2 would have been my suggestion too. It's super casual and they have just released a new season of their living story so that might chew up a few weeks of your time.

Alternatively, off the top of my head, you can look at games like Wildstar (amazing F2P model) who are in the process of implementing a new progression system, The Secret World, Elder Scrolls Online (have just introduced housing)

There are also quite a few survival type sandbox games out or in the workd like Conan (Early Access) and ARK.

It depends what types of games you like. Things like Skyrim might be right up your alley.

Hey, fellow DAOC player!

So try not to laugh at this suggestion - but check out Stardew Valley. Yes. I am recommending one of those silly 'start a farm' games.

I still am not sure how or why I decided to try it - I just wanted something engaging yet relaxing to play. And I fell in love with the game, even though I was convinced that a game like Stardew Valley could never appeal to me.

They have a nice community on reddit, and the official game boards are also a good place.

If you do play, take a moment to marvel at the fact that the game was developed by a single person who, as far as I am concerned, deserves all the kudos and success he's currently experiencing. This little game is a true gem.

You can get the game on Steam for $15, or from www.gog.com if for any reason you don't care for Steam.

Just try it. You won't regret it.

Cheers thanks dark! I'm a big fan of pvp and mmorpg so I've played eq, daoc, rs, wow... Tried elder scrolls online but everyone seemed to ditch it fast so I followed, I like watching the games on twitch when I can't play and seems eso has a poor audience...

But yeah, I think the games I would enjoy are... ESO, maybe star wars online. I quite liked that relic game or whatever it was called... Really can't remember the name now! Just had mobs spawning out of these zones constantly... Also played conquer online. So eso and swo could be fun but the below worries me.

Any of the above worth trying out? Or is the playerbase/progression just not worth it...?

Cheers saravat I'll take a look

- - - Updated - - -

Few others I forgot about that may be worth trying?

Dekaron
    Rift

So in total games I could play and am not sure which is worth playing again due to playerbase, upgrades etc...

Star wars online
    Elder scrolls online
    Guild wars 2
    Dekaron
    Rift

Forgot what else but you get my point. I like my progression games with pvp aspects included. I used to be a jardcore daoc pvper/eve of player, I still jump on every now and then but it's hard to solo on an rr11 reaver these days!!

7+ Year Old Account
    Could always try the open beta that's going on right now for "For Honor" if you like doing some quick PvP matches (1vs1, 2vs2 or 4vs4 with 2 different modes during beta).

Is that what for honor is? Pvp? I had a quick glance at it but didn't look too in-depth. I do love my pvp. Eso, daoc, swo, rift... They were all fun pvp!

Deleted
    I can play most mmos casually, even wow. If you have limited time to play you have limited time to play.
    I only played the new expansion Legion a couple of weeks, and logged in to check patch update. The world quests still had same ilvl as reward, and also they pretty much removed most progress from pvp except prestige for cosmetics so when you have ok ilvl (same as max for world quests) you are good to go.
    I guess if you want to raid it is different, but otherwise I can't see what you would feel there isn't enough time to be competitive in when playing wow casually.
    Perhaps I missed out on something Well, I missed out on completing suramar, but I sure don't miss that place when not playing :P

@Tea yeah I don't care much for raiding, I'm prob just getting bored of wow. Its. shame the playerbase died on games like SWO and eSO as I found them so much fun! I also still love daoc but paying to play it and soloing is just non existent these days...

Does anyone actually play swtor/eso?

ESO, SWToR and GW2 are still very popular mmorpgs but most of the people don't play these 4-8h a day like many played WoW back in the day. This time has passed and currently we have dozens of other games to enjoy, so mmorpgs are one of many you just jump in once/two times per week, happily do smth and logoff to do other IRL stuff or play another great game. This is how it is in most cases (mine too).

Less and less people stick to the one game and this is much healthier approach. Just play what Your mood needs, I do that and it feels great.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2017-02-12 at 05:08 PM.

Old School Runescape/Runescape 3 is good time killers if your into it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Rift is enjoyable - really a great concept. The appeal just didn't last for me, maybe because the DAOC PvP guild that I played with there lost interest and I just didn't enjoy solo play in Rift. But I think if you tried Rift, you'd likely enjoy it for at least awhile.

Since you play/played DAoC, you likely know that one of the original creators of that game has been working on a similar game for a couple of years now (Camelot Unchained). It's still in alpha/beta, but you might see if you can get into beta. They are really interested in their testers' feedback, and even though it's not something you can just log on and play at will, they open it for testing fairly regularly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just started on EVE online myself.... doesn't fit your description of "less progressive", though. But the thing is, once you start playing EVE online, you no longer have free time.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played it in a little while now, but I really enjoyed Final Fantasy XIV. They do a really good job at making you feel like a key character in a larger story as you level through the world. It also lets you unlock every class on a single character, so any time you feel like something different, you just open your menu and switch. You even get to use a few spells from other classes while you're playing one as long as you've already learned them.

I am burned with WoW at the moment. Enjoying some very good rpgs (different styles, some like Diablo 2, some like Baldur's Gate): Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, Divinity: original sin and Pillars of Eternity.

Sorry I guess progressive is in every game, what I mean perhaps is games I don't have to sink 5 hours a day into to get anywhere. I've been watching a bit of eso and it seem a stam dk on that would certainly kill a few hours a week solo pvping. Tried a little path of exile but didn't truly understand what I was doing apart from grinding maps, or is that it? Bit like d3 but more complex.

Swtor I had a quick look into but seems pretty empty when I logged in, didn't see many people darting around and queues were fairly long. I did love the game when I played opening month though!!

So seems swtor, eso are the top 2, Camelot unchained I'm aware of yeah and rs ill pass, sold my 119 on that ages ago and don't intend to go back :P

- - - Updated - - -
    @Slaughty8 I suppose you could be right there! Wow I'm just burned on. Maybe I can get geared on swtor, eso and just play whicheveer I feel at the time. Same with some other suggestions in here.