Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Call of Duty will "return to its roots" after Infinite Warfare sales disappoint

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...les-disappoint

Don't expect another space-set Call of Duty for a long time - Activision has at last admitted what was clear all along - fans did not like last year's Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare.

Game sales were down year-on-year and revenue was down too - despite the allure of Modern Warfare Remastered if you stumped up the cash for Infinite Warfare's pricier editions.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare's space setting "didn't resonate" with fans, Activision exec Eric Hirshberg admitted to investors this evening during a just-finished financial call. The result? "It wasn't success we planned."

Step up Sledgehammer Games, which is next up to the plate with its Call of Duty game due for Christmas 2017. It will see the series go "back to its roots" after all that zero-G stuff.
    Still, Hirshberg stressed the importance of allowing Activision's teams to invest in a vision and build it - and Infinite Warfare was certainly not a bad game. It was just the wrong game at the wrong time - and, from the off, fans were never sold on its concept.

Two other interesting things of note - first, Hirshberg mentioned this year's Call of Duty was greenlit two years ago, as is the norm. Whatever the setting is (rumours persist it will be historical), this project did not begin as a knee-jerk reaction to the space-based failure of Infinite Warfare.

Second, this year Activision will prop up its lower-than-expected DLC sales for Infinite Warfare by providing new content for 2015's Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, as many players are still happily playing that.
    Thank fucken god, There is new a 2% chance ill buy it. SO tired of the futuristic shooter bullshit.

Call of Duty you are not Titanfall, Please stop trying to be Titanfall.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I mean well they lied about pre orders doing "just fine" if in the end it ended in disappointment

They could of just sold modern warfare on it's stand alone instead and it might have done better

and I mean, if one of the most disliked youtube videos of all time isn't a GIANT FUCKING RED FLAG before the game even launches then I don't know what the hell activision is smoking these days
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I mean well they lied about pre orders doing "just fine" if in the end it ended in disappointment

They could of just sold modern warfare on it's stand alone instead and it might have done better
    Even tho it sold 50% less then BO3, It still sold a fuck ton of copy's. So they mite not have lied about Pre-Orders being fine, Its still a massive drop in sells.

Its almost like people are tired of future shooters and even more so ones that cost $60+$50(Season Pass) and is fucken p2w.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Future Shooters aren't a bad idea. Activision and their greedyness is annoying.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Future Shooters aren't a bad idea. Activision and their greedyness is annoying.
    Future shooters aren't a bad idea, I agree 100%.

Call of Duty being half of what Titanfall is, is a bad idea.

IMO Advanced Warfare (The sledgehammer game) was a much better call of duty then the last two.

Deleted
    But do you not get fed up with shooters in WW2? I can't stomach them any more.

It couldn't be that yearly franchises get stale after they're milked for long enough.

Also this just in: The AAA industry chases trends until audiences get sick of them, then change direction to follow whatever new trend is taking off right now.

I look forward to futuristic shooters being the hip cool fresh new idea again in five years.

Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    We haven't had an actual good WW2 shooter in almost a decade...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    We haven't had an actual good WW2 shooter in almost a decade...
    And good riddance, IMO. I always found them snooze worthy next to Halo etc.

Edit; I appreciate that's not a widely held opinion
    Last edited by mmocd88858e1a5; 2017-02-10 at 01:03 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The fact the MW remaster was only available through a bundle with IW always soured my view of IW anyway. Since it seemed very much like a contingency plan for IW being shithouse by not making MWRE purchaseable seperately.

The things I would give just for a basic CoD game again, no stupid jump boosts or crazy gadgets, just normal guns, with normal attachments. Maybe set in Vietnam since we haven't had a good Vietnam shooter since BFBC2.

Or MW2 with Server Browser.

Going back did extremely well for Battlefield with the ww1 setting, hoping maby a vietnam game.

Can't help but to feel that Call of Duty has been a step behind it's competition for a while now. Let's see if this breaks the chain.

MW1&2/BLOPS1&2

Never forget. Genuinely had a lot of fun with those. Everything afterwards was just... boring/bad.

When a game feature the bad guy shooting one of his own men 10 minutes in, you know this going to sucks hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    And I was just going to say, "by going back to their roots, do they mean going back to WWII?"

To be honest, the only CoD I owned and enjoyed was CoD 4 MW.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Maybe set in Vietnam since we haven't had a good Vietnam shooter since BFBC2.
    Black Ops.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Etselion View Post
    Black Ops.
    you missed the "good" part.

The problem with Call of Duty is they are faced with a dilemma. Do they try and revolutionise the game and risk alienating players or stick with the tried and true formula and lose players due to franchise fatigue. I'm not sure the franchise will ever be as dominant as it was during its prime.

My personal issues with the game is that some iterations feel like a step backwards in terms of how smooth the game plays and how the game looks.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    The problem with Call of Duty is they are faced with a dilemma. Do they try and revolutionise the game and risk alienating players or stick with the tried and true formula and lose players due to franchise fatigue. I'm not sure the franchise will ever be as dominant as it was during its prime.

My personal issues with the game is that some iterations feel like a step backwards in terms of how smooth the game plays and how the game looks.
    There is a good chance they may pull of a nintendo. A remake of a old game. Its profitiable and it cost way less than making a new game from scrath.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If by roots they mean Modern Warfare - I'll buy it. If they mean WW2 - nope, ain't buying no WW2 themed game, never gonna happen. WW2 theme sucks Hitler's ball.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side