Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    There's not really much you can do about canned meat that's been soaking in sauce for weeks though other than "add fries and vegetables". If you're buying canned food I don't imagine there's much motivation in the plating and preparation area anyways.
    I'm sure he was just looking for light suggestions on what might improve it a little. You can do wonders to a lot of pre-made/pre-packaged meals with just a touch of something extra.

This canned pork is already dipped in BBQ sauce... we've got our work cut out for us.

The biggest complaint that most people have with canned meats is that everything in the dish turns into one big blob - but that doesn’t have to be the case! You can have great meals with just a little care. Through the years, I’ve learned a few tips to ensure good results:

• Add the meat as late in the cooking process as possible. It’s already cooked, so all you have to do is warm it up.
    • Once you’ve added the meat, stir as little as possible so it won’t turn to mush. This is particularly true of chicken, turkey and beef and is one reason these meats shouldn’t be added until the very end of the cooking time and just warmed through.
    • Ham is the only meat that you need to “crumble” or break apart as you add it to the other ingredients. All other meats should be handled very gently.
    • Don’t overcook other ingredients to the point where they lose their texture and become a “blob” with the meat.
    • Add one-half to one bouillon cube of an appropriate flavor to make up for the fact that you don’t have drippings from browning the meat. Most bouillon cubes have a lot of sodium, so don’t add extra salt.
    • Drain the liquid from the can and use it in the cooking process (ditto for any canned vegetables you use). It’ll add a lot more flavor than plain water.
    • Casserole-type dishes taking long cooking are generally inappropriate for canned meats.

I buy most meats in cans about the size of tuna cans – they’re just right for one meal for two people with average appetities. I use ham, chicken, turkey, tuna, crab, shrimp, corned beef, roast beef, corned beef hash and probably others — I’ve found them not only in the US but also in Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, and on land-based camping trips in South America and Africa. More recently, some meats are available in foil pouches, which cost a bit more but are lighter, take up less space and generally have even better texture!

My experience is that the more remote the locale, the greater variety of canned meats you’re likely to find since the local people are unlikely to have refrigeration. Mexican fishing villages often had a wonderful assortment!

Using these tips, you can turn THIS questionable piece of meat...

...into THIS!

And remember - it's okay not to get it right the first time. Practice makes perfect!

Just checked the price, it's $2.75 a can.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try them out.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland