Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Should Poachers be shot dead?

Should Poachers be shot dead?

So reading this article about a nature park in india it says the rangers have shot and killed at least 20 poachers trying to kill the indian rhino in a year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-38909512

I believe if its the only way to save these animals from complete extinction then a shoot to kill policy is the only real effective deterrent because lets face it is very difficult to arrest someone in the middle of nowhere and most poachers are armed and will shoot back.

Also why hasnt countrys like vietnam and china done a drive which tells them retards that rhino horn DOES NOT CURE ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION!

Yup. /10char
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Yea, because the areas this happens in tend to not have the means to realistically enforce them. In addition poachers are incredibly dangerous, their own safety comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by fsdhjte View Post

Also why hasnt countrys like vietnam and china done a drive which tells them retards that rhino horn DOES NOT CURE ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION!
    Because some people don't want to listen. Same with people over on this side of the planet that still think that Vaccines cause autism and climate change is a hoax.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Yes no mercy, they are already killed on sight in many places by rangers and rightfully so. For example cutting of the horn and leaving a rhinos to slowly die in agony is fucked up.

Many things are also used for bullshit traditional shit that don't work.

If they are trespassing on private property and refuse to leave then yes. But they shouldn't be shot on sight in my opinion.

No other real direct counter-measure unfortunately...so yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    If they are trespassing on private property and refuse to leave then yes. But they shouldn't be shot on sight in my opinion.
    Uh... what?

So "don't get caught or you'll be talked at..." while they're armed with sharp weapons. Yeah that'll work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Uh... what?
    Seems perfectly clear to me. Ask them to leave, if they don't then you can use force to remove them. If they fire at you first, then of course you can fire back. Shooting them on sight results in deaths that might have been avoided otherwise.

They're trespassers. It's standard law to kill anyone invading your territory. On top of that, they're armed and doing something illegal.

Its absolutely fine to shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    So "don't get caught or you'll be talked at..." while they're armed with sharp weapons. Yeah that'll work well.
    A gun is a sharp weapon? I'm sure most poachers would shoot rangers on sight but assuming they didn't, rangers shouldn't shoot them on sight.

I'd rather have jobs + education available for these people so they don't have to look for poaching to provide for their families, while at the same time having CHINA condemn the trade on a much large scale.

...but in the mean time, I really like Rhinos, so sure, shoot to kill. Make it hard on em.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh no...

I like there is some sort of classism going on being the scenes if people think poachers should be shot.

For

1) It's extremely excessive punishment for the actual crime. You're attributing a lot of sentimental value to the animal.

2) What they are doing is/was probably legal in their country. Either way poachers are usually just working class people looking to put food in their bellies. If there wasn't a demand they wouldn't bother shooting the animals. But with limited opportunity and a demand, you throw feelings out of the window

3) Killing a poacher, really? There an insurmountable number of worse crimes that receive far less punishment and stigma.

It's a terrible business, I get that but attack the source of the problem, don't just try to patch up one leak just for another to pop up next to it. What a comment above me said (on my phone otherwise I would @Mention you) the solution is Jobs and education. Not vindictive legislation.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    They're trespassers. It's standard law to kill anyone invading your territory. On top of that, they're armed and doing something illegal.

Its absolutely fine to shoot them.
    Would you shoot someone for trespassing in a US national park? "Your territory" is government owned land. If a reservation is privately owned, that's different.

Seems perfectly clear to me. Ask them to leave, if they don't then you can use force to remove them. If they fire at you first, then of course you can fire back. Shooting them on sight results in deaths that might have been avoided otherwise.
    This is taking place in poorer countries where the poachers are organized criminals who will kill you on sight before you get a word in.

A gun is a sharp weapon? I'm sure most poachers would shoot rangers on sight but assuming they didn't, rangers shouldn't shoot them on sight.
    By sharp I mean deadly. Sharp is a different term when in relation to guns. Either way, bringing words and a wagging finger for the moral high ground will leave you holier than sieve. These poachers are not friendly, and will shoot to stay undetected to poach some more. They don't care, so to preserve the animals, why should the preserve rangers? It doesn't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Uh no...

I like there is some sort of classism going on being the scenes if people think poachers should be shot.

For

1) It's extremely excessive punishment for the actual crime. You're attributing a lot of sentimental value to the animal.
    This is the big reason I agree with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get what you're saying. There seems to be 2 main classes of poachers (or looters, in the case of artifacts). Criminal gangs, which will absolutely kill a game warden on site and should be shot at, and those that just need to sell shit to live. Latter can be taught to do other things.

I imagine the game wardens are trained in identifying who is who.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Uh no...
    Ok, I hope you like more dead rangers AND animals.