Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Never saw him saying what you are implying. Maybe a video link for me to check? He is often misunderstood, sometimes on purpose to make him look bad. Not saying you are doing that.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/30/politi...te-in-ballots/

I'm not the best at math but I'm pretty sure 31 ≠ 3 to 5 million. I could be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doing some simple number crunching:

- Michigan's population as of July 2016 is 9,928,300
    - The population of the United States as of July 2016 was an estimated 323,100,000

Therefore the population of Michigan is 3.07% of the entire Untied States.

If we assume that voter fraud is as prevalent in Michigan as throughout the entire United States, then 31 incidents in Michigan would translate to roughly 1008.8 (round up to 1009) incidents nationwide.

Is Michigan, in fact, a typical state in terms of voter fraud? Is it as prevalent there as other states? More? Less?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    He was telling people who had already mailed in ballots to also go and vote. You know, voting twice. Which is illegal. The whole 'they'll void your mail-in ballot' was either a lie or he was too dumb to know it wasn't true.
    It's Trump, so my money is on "he was too dumb".

Anyone know if he's figured out how to turn on the lights in the White House yet?
    Impeach the MF.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    31 out of a supposed 3-5 million... lol
    Yea reminds me of the last big election where i was supposingly registered to vote in Michigan and Kentucky. Kentucky just never got around to removing me from its registry.

He was telling people who had already mailed in ballots to also go and vote. You know, voting twice. Which is illegal. The whole 'they'll void your mail-in ballot' was either a lie or he was too dumb to know it wasn't true.
    I would say that it is an indication that the voting system in the US is broken.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    I would say that it is an indication that the voting system in the US is broken.
    Or maybe they should accept the fact that you only have to vote once because the voting system -gasp- actually works?

Or maybe they should accept the fact that you only have to vote once because the voting system -gasp- actually works?
    If people attempt to vote twice, and are allowed to do so the system isn't working - and improving it would be a good idea.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    If people attempt to vote twice, and are allowed to do so the system isn't working - and improving it would be a good idea.
    The only way to 'fix' it in this case would be to tally up all the mailed in ballots and have the people at the voting booth say, "Sorry, it says here you already voted." which would likely be a pain in the ass. Especially considering you can mail them in and go vote before it arrives, once again voting twice. Which one counts? Imagine there's a box you check that says this one counts, honest! And you do it on both. What happens then? It's just voter fraud, plain and simple. If you don't want to break the law, don't do it.

EDIT: I will go so far as to say the main issue here is trust. If people don't trust that the system works properly, then they're going to rail against it. Trump repeatedly claimed the voting was rigged, over and over in fact. It was one of the rallying points of his election. He's the one who convinced people to make the decision to break the law, whether he intended it or not.
    Last edited by The Stormbringer; 2017-02-15 at 11:06 PM.

The only way to 'fix' it in this case would be to tally up all the mailed in ballots and have the people at the voting booth say, "Sorry, it says here you already voted."
    This is already done, but it's far easier than that. They simply generate a list of registered voters, which is different than the list of those who registered absentee. If you registered absentee, but never voted, some states allow you to vote absentee-in-person, but there are rules and requirements for doing so. The system is designed to prevent fraud already. Anything that slips by is a bureaucratic error. I believe they even said in the article that they just didn't get update registries in time.

- - - Updated - - -

They are not only not allowed to do so, there are processes in place to stop it from accidentally happening as well; like the in-person registry does not contain those registered absentee. Once you register to vote absentee, you must present varying evidence to be allowed to vote absentee-in-person, if your state even allows it. Everything is fine. Some things slip through the cracks. If it's tight, they can always look everything up and check for fraud if there's any real reason for concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    And that's exactly what the people in the OP did. Voted by mail and then went to the polls to get a new ballot and vote again. Except, you know, the voiding part isn't true.
    This speech was in Colorado.

https://ballotpedia.org/Voting_in_Colorado

"void their mail ballot to vote in person"

It's under Absentee and early voting.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Yea reminds me of the last big election where i was supposingly registered to vote in Michigan and Kentucky. Kentucky just never got around to removing me from its registry.
    Kentucky is a republican state. No need to vote there.

10+ Year Old Account
    My god, 31 whole votes.

Talk about irrelevant numbers when you take them in context. I mean that's like 1000 votes out of what, 320 million people?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

31 = 3,000,000?

Here you go. If you are turned off by the source, just watch the video in it. It's just Trump talking.
    Huffington Post is DEFINITELY not a source considering it's about as credible as the Inquirer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Huffington Post is DEFINITELY not a source considering it's about as credible as the Inquirer.
    Or you could read what he wrote and watch the embedded video, which is just Trump talking.

People should be infracted for terrible reading comprehension abilities alone, let alone antagonistic and intentionally obtuse shitposting.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Trump is the source. Then again, that's hardly credible either.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Or you could read what he wrote and watch the embedded video, which is just Trump talking.

People should be infracted for terrible reading comprehension abilities alone, let alone antagonistic and intentionally obtuse shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Trump is the source. Then again, that's hardly credible either.
    Trump is saying to go in, void your mail in ballot, and vote in person. That's voting once and that's the process in Colorado

The confusion comes in with how Colorado works. Everyone is suppose to get a mail in ballot. If you choose to vote via mail, just fill it out and mail it in. If you want to vote in person you can, but you need to bring in your mail in ballot and have it voided in order to vote in person. That's the process.

Instead of Huffpo acting like a proper journalistic publication and investigating how the system works (it took me literally 1-2 minutes), they do what they do what most other biased outlets do and shit on people they don't like.

Sure, yes, you cannot mail a ballot in *AND* then go vote in person. But Trump never said to do that. Trump mentioned skepticism about voting by mail and asked his voters to vote in person if they feel the same way as he does. That would require them to void their mail in ballot that they received, which is what he said to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taneras View Post
    Trump is saying to go in, void your mail in ballot, and vote in person. That's voting once and that's the process in Colorado

The confusion comes in with how Colorado works. Everyone is suppose to get a mail in ballot. If you choose to vote via mail, just fill it out and mail it in. If you want to vote in person you can, but you need to bring in your mail in ballot and have it voided in order to vote in person. That's the process.

Instead of Huffpo acting like a proper journalistic publication and investigating how the system works (it took me literally 1-2 minutes), they do what they do what most other biased outlets do and shit on people they don't like.

Sure, yes, you cannot mail a ballot in *AND* then go vote in person. But Trump never said to do that. Trump mentioned skepticism about voting by mail and asked his voters to vote in person if they feel the same way as he does. That would require them to void their mail in ballot that they received, which is what he said to do.
    Which has approximately zero to do with what I was talking about.

No one is debating whether Huffpo is a worthy source because it's irrelevant when the source was posted for the sole reason that it included the Trump video clip, which, as a primary source, is devoid of bias.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Which has approximately zero to do with what I was talking about.

No one is debating whether Huffpo is a worthy source because it's irrelevant when the source was posted for the sole reason that it included the Trump video clip, which, as a primary source, is devoid of bias.
    Trump doesn't tell people to vote twice in the video featured in that link, where does someone get that idea from if not from the HuffPo (or whatever other publication reported on this) article?

Any reasonable person would assume that its a possibility that you actually can void your mail in ballot. That possibility is shot down by the HuffPo article. The effects of which are seen by at 2 or 3 other posters here who've already made up their mind that Trump was either too dumb to know any better or was actually pushing for voter fraud (and the thousands/tens of thousands of people who read that article) when in reality the only issue is them drinking the koolaid.