Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't gross at all, It is one of my favourite foods. Its a mind over matter situation.

Fresh Salmon Nigiri is the bestest.

how gross is sushi?
    More a statement than a question.

You can get cooked sushi, or california rolls, if the rawness bothers you.

I fucking love Sushi. Been eating it for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I have a couple of things wrapped in cold rice and some sort of sauce on top it.. been sitting in front of me for 2 hours. I can't bring myself to eat it even though i'm starved.

Am I building up this whole raw meat thing in my head?
    Don't eat sushi that sat out.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I couldn't get past the cold rice. I'm such a food coward

It's fine. That wasn't sushi.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Sushi is wonderful, never personally been a fan of sashimi, but I'm definitely a rolls guy. Tuna by far being the best fish for sushi imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Life lesson: if you don't know whether or not you like sushi, 1) don't let it sit out so the rice gets brittle over 2 hours in the air, and 2) get a california roll or another one that uses imitation crab, as not all sushi has to have raw meat and thus starting there is silly.

Even in the west cold rice even make nice dessert. Rice pudding? Its just a grain after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should we tell them what tako is?
    Just preface all my posts with "Well, I didn't read the thread, but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    You don't need to see any identification.
    This isn't the user you're looking for.
    Move along.
    Fixed a bug allowing Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations
    Minor text fixes

never tried it.. it does look pretty interesting but i'm not too sure about that whole raw thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alopex View Post
    Should we tell them what tako is?
    If we're going in that direction we might as well go straight to unatama don

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Don't eat sushi that sat out.
    Agree.
    Also don't eat sushi from a gas station.

I could put up a picture of a mass produced freeze dried hamburger and say hamburgers are gross.

It all depends on the quality

If I wanted to make home made sushi and I can get sashimi at the store, I'm not aware of how I can clean it without cooking it.

There's a mixture used for the rice, but what I'm wondering is, what do Sushi Chef do with Sashimi besides literally peel it from freshly caught fish? The local grocery store is a middle man I'd like to use at least one condom against.

Do they prepare a special, invisible sauce they pickle the sushi in also? Or am I supposed to just lay the sashimi right on top of the rice bed, pulled right out of the plastic wrap carton?

I'll never eat that shit again.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

When I eat it I'm reminded of an ex girlfriend that was a little on the ripe side...

Really depends on the person. A lot of people can't get over the "Raw" meat thing. But it's not really raw. They have to do a kind of "cold" cooking - which kills any bacteria/parasites/etc just like cooking in a hot pan/oven would do. They also use specific cuts of fish, and a lot of sushi in the western world is cooked or smoked, then simply chilled. Chances are if you're not in Asia or getting food from an Asian district, it's going to be cooked/smoked meat.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Don't get sushi if its not fresh right at the restaurant. Get it from a Japanese restaurant or a restaurant that SPECIALIZES in sushi; otherwise, it's probably not good. Fresh raw fish tastes wonderful. If it smells or tastes fishy it's not fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    If I wanted to make home made sushi and I can get sashimi at the store, I'm not aware of how I can clean it without cooking it.

There's a mixture used for the rice, but what I'm wondering is, what do Sushi Chef do with Sashimi besides literally peel it from freshly caught fish? The local grocery store is a middle man I'd like to use at least one condom against.

Do they prepare a special, invisible sauce they pickle the sushi in also? Or am I supposed to just lay the sashimi right on top of the rice bed, pulled right out of the plastic wrap carton?
    You clean it by doing what's called a "cold" cooking. Freezing and storing seafood at -4°F or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at -31°F or below until solid and storing at -31°F or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -31°F or below until solid and storing at -4°F or below for 24 hours’ is sufficient to kill parasites and bacteria.

The best way to do it is to keep it at -4°F for seven days, it comes out the best. But if you need it quickly, you can do the 15 hours method, assuming you have access to such cold temperatures.

Failure to do this can result in parasites/bacteria/food poisoning.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis