Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Current top spec?

Every post seems to try and justify how they are all equal. I just want to know flat out. All variables aside at 880-890 what spec shines the most on majority of nighthold fights

Deleted
    Fire or Arcane depending on Legendaries.

I like Arcane.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by CheryChocie View Post
    Fire or Arcane depending on Legendaries.
    Scortch belt

Shadow
    /chars
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

That's my main spec lol as my avatar shows. But working on an alt.

Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    It's masochism for spriest to roll mage alt, i'm thinking about doing the opposite but it's 25€ faction change plus 100-110 leveling and all level cap shit
    Rogues are fine ©
    Haste will fix it ©

7+ Year Old Account
    Frost

10frosts

Frost for st/low target cleave
    Fire for other things.

Don't get the arcane recommendations.
    Last edited by Woobels; 2017-02-13 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Fire for other things.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...t=90&boss=1871 Spellblade at least.

Frost is definitely highest ST after the hotfixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...t=90&boss=1871 Spellblade at least.

Frost is definitely highest ST after the hotfixes.
    I mean sure, but having a frost spec seems more useful because of Krosus/Elisande/Augur.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Fire for other things.

Because Arc is not much worse than frost on ST fights, and than Fire on AoE fights. So imo it is better to pick a spec that is decent on eveyrthing than great in one thing and horrible in others

Quote Originally Posted by Caath View Post
    Because Arc is not much worse than frost on ST fights, and than Fire on AoE fights. So imo it is better to pick a spec that is decent on eveyrthing than great in one thing and horrible in others
    I mean if you enjoy being mediocre in every aspect compared to frost and fire then sure. Many people prefer not to be.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    I mean if you enjoy being mediocre in every aspect compared to frost and fire then sure. Many people prefer not to be.
    Except that arcane beats both frost and fire in a lot of fights. At 75% on heroic, the only fights fire beats arcane on are guldan, elisandre, tichondrius (barely), and skorpyron. Arcane is ahead of both frost and fire on Chronomatic Anomaly, trilliax, spellblade, and botanist. The only fights it does very badly on are elisandre and guldan, of which both fire and arcane are both very low. The thing is, all three specs are viable. Frost does excel overall on some fights but on something like eyes on guldan arcane and fire mages will do more damage. Just looking at the parses of Guldan and the top frost, fire and arcane parses (of which they are all very close) arcane and fire both do a lot more damage to those adds.

So honestly it kinda depends on what your raid comp needs. If you want priority target dps with 2 target cleave potential frost does very well. If you want a lot of aoe, arcane and fire are both very strong. Arcane does more single target on average than fire as well so thats another plus. The only problem with arcane is that you have to go in melee range to use your aoe but it's very powerful when you can. Frost is great at what it does but the lack of aoe may hurt in some raid compositions.

Also I believe that arcane is the least legendary dependent spec that mages have so that may play into your decision. Frost may end up looking better as more people get the frost legendaries and play the spec but it's still going to lack aoe and arcane delivers in that department very well compared to fire, and as I said, better in a lot of situations.
    Last edited by halfawake; 2017-02-13 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by halfawake View Post
    Except that arcane beats both frost and fire in a lot of fights. At 75% on heroic, the only fights fire beats arcane on are guldan, elisandre, tichondrius (barely), and skorpyron. Arcane is ahead of both frost and fire on Chronomatic Anomaly, trilliax, spellblade, and botanist. The only fights it does very badly on are elisandre and guldan, of which both fire and arcane are both very low. The thing is, all three specs are viable. Frost does excel overall on some fights but on something like eyes on guldan arcane and fire mages will do more damage. Just looking at the parses of Guldan and the top frost, fire and arcane parses (of which they are all very close) arcane and fire both do a lot more damage to those adds.

So honestly it kinda depends on what your raid comp needs. If you want priority target dps with 2 target cleave potential frost does very well. If you want a lot of aoe, arcane and fire are both very strong. Arcane does more single target on average than fire as well so thats another plus. The only problem with arcane is that you have to go in melee range to use your aoe but it's very powerful when you can. Frost is great at what it does but the lack of aoe may hurt in some raid compositions.

Also I believe that arcane is the least legendary dependent spec that mages have so that may play into your decision. Frost may end up looking better as more people get the frost legendaries and play the spec but it's still going to lack aoe and arcane delivers in that department very well compared to fire, and as I said, better in a lot of situations.
    Looking at Mythic stats rather than heroic would show you a very different picture.

Mythic stats aren't entirely accurate yet due to the low amount of parses. Even on mythic if you look at the top 10 on most of the fights you will find all three specs represented. And it's usually the same people, which shows that the low amount of parses make for an uneven picture.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    I play only fire since aracane and frost are unappealing to me also it's like intentionally handicapping yourself if you reroll from spriest to any mage atm, but ok, ignoring that and not counting top-tier guilds with all the tryhards, average fire mage is really good for aoe, it really shines in cleave/aoe fights like Skorpyron, Botanist, Auriel, Tichondrius even does realatevly good on Guldan and Elisande, it's pretty bad for ST fights like Star Agur or Krosus it can fall behind really fast, if you're designated for mechanics, you do no dps at all (i.e. Trillax), also the thing is that if you make just few mistakes you fall behind really fast and it keeps snowballing, if you don't have the right legendaries you are bottom tier dps (I went from lower top10 in my guild to top3 by just getting legendary wrists). He has pretty good utility for the raid (spellsteal, double blink + scorch speed for mobility, ice block for survivability) so you're more likely to be picked for handling mechanics than other classes so with being a spec/class that can fall behind really fast AND having to run a lot it's pretty meh class to play atm. I have my fun, but I just don't have the time to change spec (also don't have any legendaries so there's that)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    It's masochism for spriest to roll mage alt, i'm thinking about doing the opposite but it's 25€ faction change plus 100-110 leveling and all level cap shit
    Switching main from SP to Arcane mage here. SP seems fine, but is a pain to itemize, a pain to analyze, and quite akward in a lot of way.

Mage on the other hand is easier to improve on by a large margin.

I have recently switched from Fire to Arcane. While still playing a little catch up in terms of items, I'm having a blast (no pun intended). Not sure if I should look into Frost though. Would love to discuss ST between Frost and Arcane.

Quote Originally Posted by rkempey View Post
    I have recently switched from Fire to Arcane. While still playing a little catch up in terms of items, I'm having a blast (no pun intended). Not sure if I should look into Frost though. Would love to discuss ST between Frost and Arcane.
    Bracers and belt aren't enough to be competitive st with fire, just put 1st paragon trait on aluneth and now i'm fishing for kilt to bench fire for good and use only on skorpyron
    Rogues are fine ©
    Haste will fix it ©