Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Has anyone mastered eating with chopsticks?

Currently trying to learn how to use chopsticks but food mostly ends up on the plate again, on the table or on the floor. Not in my mouth.

So, any tips for how I can learn how to use chopsticks easy and fast?

The thing that helped me the most was holding them closer to the bottom (less chopstick sticking out on the end the food is) and just taking my time. Grabbing/moving each bite slowly and surely and making sure I had a good grip before moving.

As I got better, I could move my hand up a bit more and have more chopstick exposed at the bottom. The less stick there is on the food-end, the more control you'll have and the easier it'll be to hold things. Inch up as you get more comfortable.

The way I learned was to hold on pretty much like a pencil, then put in the other one which is held in place with the base of my thumb. Also, looking at it as the one held by my thumb does nothing and all the action is in the other one helped. I see people trying to move both sticks together to grab stuff as they learn and they have tons of trouble. I'm no expert, but the thumb-side one should be still and the other one pushes against it to grip.

But yeah, the thing that helped me the most was moving my hand down and inching up as I got better, and just taking my time. Nobody's going to care if you look like a dummy while learning, so just go super slow.

The next step was rice. Or noodles. That was a pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a pinching maneouver essentially. One stick will stay rested along your thumb and your index finger will close down. For some foods its easier than others. If youre eating a bowl of rice and its with friends or not very formal feel free to bring the bowl closer to your face and use the sticks as a shovel.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

No and I've never bothered trying, because we have goddamn forks here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkthugal View Post
    No and I've never bothered trying, because we have goddamn forks here.
    Well, we have forks in sweden too but I want to learn to eat with chopsticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkonen View Post
    Currently trying to learn how to use chopsticks but food mostly ends up on the plate again, on the table or on the floor. Not in my mouth.

In reply to the topic name: The entire continent of Asia (and anywhere else that use them :P )

In reply to your question, get the "training" chopsticks that are tied together with a rubber band and something squish between, so you can concentrate on the grabbing and not the "holding" part.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty easy once you know how to hold them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have large hands, so I prefer the 2 finger position instead of the 3. Can also use them left-handed, which earns some mad kudos from my asian friends.

Just keep practicing and you'll gradually get better at it. After getting used to them, I actually find chopsticks preferable to a fork when eating rice or noodle dishes.

Deleted
    It's all about practice really. No one can tell you how to learn it faster.
    Step1: Know how to do it in theory
    Step2: Practice
    Step3: Master it.

For some its difficult and for others easy. Practice matters!

When I was very young, yes. I recalled going through a stupid phase in only using sticks but that didn't work well with breakfast cereal.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    When I was very young, yes. I recalled going through a stupid phase in only using sticks but that didn't work well with breakfast cereal.
    You gave up waaaay to early.

Im asian so its in my genes

Ya'll got nothing on my lightsaber chopsticks.

And no, I can't use them for shit, much less master.

I live in Japan so been using mostly chopsticks for a long time. Does take time getting used to them but it's all about that, time. Many of my friends tried to teach me how to hold them properly when I still couldn't use them, but everyone's got a different technique and what works for them so that wasn't very helpful. Just keep trying and find a way that works best for you and you'll learn!

@Comfort Zone I got similar ones, although in violet. Very fond of them but am afraid to use them!

Quote Originally Posted by Scyth View Post
    <a href="http://www.mmo-champion.com/member.php?u=1054802" target="_blank">Comfort Zone</a> I got similar ones, although in violet. Very fond of them but am afraid to use them!
    Be brave; use the force!

It's pretty easy but forks/knife are superior.

a lot of the time your best approach is to just hold them steady and 'scoop' whatever you're trying to eat; if you're trying to 'pinch' such as rice or noodles you're going to have a bad time

I find the 'two finger' position above easier to use as well; hold the lower stick between your middle/ring finger and the heel of your palm and basically don't move it at all; this leaves your thumb and first finger (usually folks' most dextrous) to control the top stick, which you use to pin stuff against the lower one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikkonen View Post

Sharpen the ends and stab your food....