Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

US fails the German anthem at tennis fed cup

Seriously, how can this happen? :P

So much cringe... :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Trump gets into office - USA plays extremely nationalistic german anthem part at sport event.

Coincidence?

Is this part of his new campaign "Make Germany great again" (MGGA)?
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2017-02-13 at 11:41 AM.

Meh, it's kind of your own fault for not changing the song to begin with, it's bound to confuse people every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Meh, it's kind of your own fault for not changing the song to begin with, it's bound to confuse people every once in a while.
    "Confuse"? Did someone just hand him a sheet 2 minutes before the event and told him to "just go with it"? :P

I cannot see how else you can "confuse" the nazi stanza with the actual, official stanza of the current nation of Germany. I wonder, would the Americans mind if we flagged the confederate flag next time you're here?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

I read a report about this in Der Spiegel. Apparently some German athletes actually started crying and wanted to leave... isn't that reaction a little bit over the top though?

Also, the USTA already apologized.

Pretty sure Russia had something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    I read a report about this in Der Spiegel. Apparently some German athletes actually started crying and wanted to leave... isn't that reaction a little bit over the top though?

Um... for some of the tennis players this is the only chance they'll ever get at representing Germany. It's the high mark of their career and they're immensely proud and emotional about it. And then someone fucks it up and they're only in the press as a side note to "the nazi anthem playing".

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed, too.

10+ Year Old Account

I mean if china played american badass instead of the anthem youd never hear the end of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds fine to me

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    "Confuse"? Did someone just hand him a sheet 2 minutes before the event and told him to "just go with it"? :P

I cannot see how else you can "confuse" the nazi stanza with the actual, official stanza of the current nation of Germany. I wonder, would the Americans mind if we flagged the confederate flag next time you're here?
    This is Trump's Earth now!

It's your fault for changing your anthem. Prepare to go to war.

Um... for some of the tennis players this is the only chance they'll ever get at representing Germany. It's the high mark of their career and they're immensely proud and emotional about it. And then someone fucks it up and they're only in the press as a side note to "the nazi anthem playing".

I thought they were there to win. If you make 1st place nobody will care about that anthem misshap a month from now, would they? Unless the media makes alot of fuzz about it ofc.

I thought they were there to win. If you make 1st place nobody will care about that anthem misshap a month from now, would they? Unless the media makes alot of fuzz about it ofc.
    Whoop? US tennis is bigger than German tennis atm. Despite the odd surprise win (note the surprise), US tennis players regularily cream German tennis players in the court. The times of Steffi Graf and Boris Becker are over. We haven't had a single decent tennis player since those two. Especially those Williams' sisters are schooling European tennis players left and right.

So yeah, a bit of respect for the guest nation would be cool. Just 2 minutes on Wikipedia and this mistake could've been avoided. To me it looks like no fucks were given... how many people were involved in the formal proceedings of that ceremony without anyone noticing this blunder?

Ich konnte mir nicht mal das Video zu Ende ansehen. Die Mädels tun mir so leid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Empathy is a difficult thing for some of you folks. How many of you are replicants posing as humans?

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Empathy is a difficult thing for some of you folks. How many of you are replicants posing as humans?
    Look, someone is quick to judge a complete stranger on the internet based on some innocent lines

Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    Sounds fine to me
    I'll bet it does LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look, someone is quick to judge a complete stranger on the internet based on some innocent lines
    Duh welcome to the internet. I get you only have 4 years but you really ought to have picked up a couple things in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    This is Trump's Earth now!

It's your fault for changing your anthem. Prepare to go to war.
    Fun fact, the current EU anthem, Ode to Joy, was actually considered as a replacement for the anthem after WW2. We decided against it, because the anthem we use today is far, far older than the nazi regime. The text is from the poet von Fallersleben in the 19th century and the music was composed by Haydn in the 18th century for the Austrian-German emperor at that time. So yeah, the anthem is almost as old as the US. :P

Fun fact 2: The text of the first stanza as seen in this video was severely misinterpreted by the nazis, which is a shame. They mean it to say "Germany above everyone else in the world", while the original purpose of the poet was to express the contemporary feeling of wanting Germany united instead of the fragmented mess the Holy Roman Empire was. So "Germany above all" literally meant "unite and focus on Germany rather than every tiny state being an independant fuck making this nation a clusterfuck of opinions".
    Last edited by Slant; 2017-02-13 at 12:27 PM.

I mean if china played american badass instead of the anthem youd never hear the end of it.
    There are obscure later verses of the Star Spangled Banner that boast about killing slaves.

Duh welcome to the internet. I get you only have 4 years but you really ought to have picked up a couple things in that time.
    Leave the internet out of it. The poor thing has nothing to do with it