Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    What exactly is "North American Mexican food"?

A bit redundant isn't it? Kind of like saying "European German food" or "African Ethiopian food".
    Uh, isn't that to distinguish it from Central and South American food?

Why don't you eliminate the confusion and give the USA a proper name already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I eat it all the time. If i could afford to I would eat it every day. I need to find a nice Mexican woman who can cook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Uh, isn't that to distinguish it from Central and South American food?

The confusion is that Mexico is in North America, its the second most populated North American country. Therefore "North American Mexican food" and "Mexican food" are the same thing.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Real Mexican food is just like every other food, depending on where you get it, it can be good or bad. In Texas we get a lot of variety and I could point to about 10 places in Fort Worth that would be great and about 10 places that would be downright shitty. I have been to Mexico several times, usually to Chihuahua--which most people don't realize is a city and a state, and can tell you that you can get authentic Mexican food in Texas easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce
    The one we have works just fine. There are states. Although they have banded together and a federal government fills functions somewhat similar to the EU (note that name ... wait for it), the original colonies all had their own histories and even today they have considerable rights. Yep, those states are united. There is South America, Central America, and North America. Where are these particular united states? Right, in the Americas, as opposed to Europe for example. European Union. United States of America.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    The one we have works just fine. There are states. Although they have banded together and a federal government fills functions somewhat similar to the EU (note that name ... wait for it), the original colonies all had their own histories and even today they have considerable rights. Yep, those states are united. There is South America, Central America, and North America. Where are these particular united states? Right, in the Americas, as opposed to Europe for example. European Union. United States of America.
    Wait, I think I need French for this. Appellation d'origine contrôlée. That thing!

If we say "American" anything, it's assumed it's from the United States of America. To be humble, I'm sure neither Canada nor Mexico nor the islands of the Caribbean want our beer, wine, or cheese heritage associated with them.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I had food when in Mexico if that counts, they said it was :3

Also relevant is that just like the USA, the EU doesn't span the entirety of the continent it's named for, but whenever people refer to "Europe" as a political entity it's implied that they're referring to the EU countries and not, say, Russia.

Deleted
    Nope, there's no restaurants around here serving it that I know of. Just have the home made swedishized mexican stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkonen View Post
    Nope, there's no restaurants around here serving it that I know of. Just have the home made swedishized mexican stuff.
    Take your pick of: cilantro, oregano, lime juice, cumin, coriander seed, chili peppers, onion, garlic, paprika, corn, beans, pork fat, cheese+... aaaand you just learned US Mexican cuisine 101.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2017-02-15 at 08:39 AM.

I've never been to Mexico or a Mexican restaurant, so no i haven't. Probably never will tbh, Cuban food is better anyways.

No, I've never been to Trump tower.

But the European Union consists of a bunch of independent countries that all have names. So is the UK. My country is a bunch of states, but the country is called Australia, not the United States of South East Asia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    But the European Union consists of a bunch of independent countries that all have names. So is the UK. My country is a bunch of states, but the country is called Australia, not the United States of South East Asia.
    Wait, isn't Australia a continent?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and not at all bland, it was incredible.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

I can't say for certain if I ever truly had authentic Mexican cuisine. I have had many American variations including the most delicious New Mexican food. God bless green chili. Once you had that, it is hard to go back to red.

Quote Originally Posted by supermage View Post
    I can't say for certain if I ever truly had authentic Mexican cuisine. I have had many American variations including the most delicious New Mexican food. God bless green chili. Once you had that, it is hard to go back to red.
    You could start a war with that.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    You could start a war with that.
    This is true. Before one starts. Let me clarify I love all chili.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Norwegian Mexican food or "Tex Mex" uses a shit-ton of seasoning. This did indeed make my first experiences with real mexican food seem sort of bland. Lots of beans, we don't use beans.

Used to work in a Mexican restaurant and the chef insisted I try everything we sell. It was probably more Tex-Mex, though the chef claimed we're the genuine thing. At any rate, I liked the stuff. Too bad avocados are prohibitively expensive here or I'd be doing my own guacamole.

The cilantro quesadillas were a class in how simple can be great.