Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Just gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme ...

Fried chicken!

There are different takes on fried chicken, depending on where you are and how much one stretches the definition. What kind do you like? Do things like chicken nuggets count, or should it be identifiable as fried, dead bird? Are there particular sides that you like? Do you have a preferred portion?

I just had a local take on fried chicken -- lightly dredged in flour, fried, then cut into chunks and sprinkled with a mix of cumin and red pepper. It was rather enjoyable. This was from a small shop across from one of the gates to the apartment complex where I live and fried chicken is all they serve. It's the kind of place that one stops in at on the way back from work to bring something home.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I haven't eaten fried food in years...(ugh! The grease...)

There aren't a lot of non-fast food places that serve fried chicken in my area sadly. The big fried chicken giants where I live being KFC, Popeyes and Bojangles.

There's also this place called Cluck-U-Chicken that has...decent chicken. Their sides are really good though.

KFC is classic. However where I live they don't sell gizzards. There's another chicken place around here called lee's famous recipe. I love their fried chicken gizzards. Dip em in bbq sauce and it's just heaven.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    Chicken Soup with dumblings is tastier.

when I was really little I used to want to eat only the breading and skin. I'd eat the meat mostly just to be polite. We would usually get Popeye's or Lee's Famous Recipe.

I still mostly like fingers/tenders (thin-sliced, battered and fried breast fillets) best. I worked at a club for a while in a kitchen that had a broaster (pressurized deep fryer). It was kind of old and sketchy (the release valve didn't work that well, so we had to use a bacon fork to pull open the valve and let the pressure out). We did chicken quarters and catfish in there, and liver & onions via skillet. I liked cooking the livers, but hated eating them.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    KFC is classic. However where I live they don't sell gizzards. There's another chicken place around here called lee's famous recipe. I love their fried chicken gizzards. Dip em in bbq sauce and it's just heaven.
    When I was in high school, I worked as a fry cook at a family owned chicken place. Cooking gizzards was the nastiest thing, but man were they delicious.

OT I live on the Gulf Coast so there is a lot of family owned or small chain fried chicken places. Cant go wrong with some fried chicken wing and hot sauce on top of some thick fluffy waffles and syrup.

kfc used to be good to me.

then i tried bojangles and popeye's, and i learned the blasphemous error i made ever calling that shit good.

popeye's, bojangles, or home made(if you live in the south, with a mother versed in properly southern frying chicken) fried chicken's the only way to go. and you'd best have sweet iced tea and a biscuit with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a big fan of tender strips as opposed to traditional boned fried chicken (but that's good too). We recently got a Cane's and oh my gosh it's great. Before that I was a big fan of Popeye's. As for more local/homemade my uncle is a great cook and makes the best chicken I've ever tasted but he only makes it once in a blue moon.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

then i tried bojangles and popeye's, and i learned the blasphemous error i made ever calling that shit good.

popeye's, bojangles, or home made(if you live in the south, with a mother versed in properly southern frying chicken) fried chicken's the only way to go. and you'd best have sweet iced tea and a biscuit with it.
    I had popeyes once when I was in San Antonio. Did not care for it. Though I hate spicy foods anyways. KFC has just the right amount of kick for me.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

7+ Year Old Account

omg yes to this whole post. Are you in the South US or East Coast? Bojangles is new to me here where I am at, moved to the East Coast about 2 years ago.

I had popeyes once when I was in San Antonio. Did not care for it. Though I hate spicy foods anyways. KFC has just the right amount of kick for me.
    OH! Also I love frickers

and Quaker Steak and lube.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For people in the Southeast...Publix fried chicken is amazing. Also, Church's obvs.

Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    omg yes to this whole post. Are you in the South US or East Coast? Bojangles is new to me here where I am at, moved to the East Coast about 2 years ago.
    i live in north carolina. got like three bojangles near me in the three nearby towns. i love the chicken supreme, and it's especially good on their wonderful biscuits.

but their legs are great too, and the cajun biscuits.

- - - Updated - - -

well, i love spicy, so i order everything i can in spicy.

last time i had kfc, the meat itself was just gross. might have just been the store though.

i live in north carolina. got like three bojangles near me in the three nearby towns. i love the chicken supreme, and it's especially good on their wonderful biscuits.

- - - Updated - - -

well, i love spicy, so i order everything i can in spicy.

last time i had kfc, the meat itself was just gross. might have just been the store though.
    So KFC to me just like any fast food place the quality of the food will vary from store to store. fortunately the ones around me have pretty good quality standards.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

7+ Year Old Account

OMG! Me too I'm all the way on the Coast though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Static Transit View Post
    For people in the Southeast...Publix fried chicken is amazing. Also, Church's obvs.
    I used to love Church's but after working there and frying up chicken for a year I can't really eat it anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Fried chicken!

There are different takes on fried chicken, depending on where you are and how much one stretches the definition. What kind do you like? Do things like chicken nuggets count, or should it be identifiable as fried, dead bird? Are there particular sides that you like? Do you have a preferred portion?

I just had a local take on fried chicken -- lightly dredged in flour, fried, then cut into chunks and sprinkled with a mix of cumin and red pepper. It was rather enjoyable. This was from a small shop across from one of the gates to the apartment complex where I live and fried chicken is all they serve. It's the kind of place that one stops in at on the way back from work to bring something home.
    Chicken Breasts tenderized evenly
    Salt and pepper dusting on both sides
    Let sit for 15 minutes.

Mix flour, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, and paprika, and garlic powder.

Lightly dredge chicken on all sides in flour mix.
    Lets sit for 10 minutes, then repeat dredging.

Heat up a pan with 1/4" of Olive Oil

Once hot, add Chicken to the pan.

Let the chicken cook for 6 minutes or till nicely browned, then flip the chicken and repeat. Add additional Galric Powder on each side while frying if you desire.

When finished, lay the chicken over a plate which is covered with paper towel to soak up any dripping grease.

Serve with some BBQ sauce, or eat it as is. Serve with a side of your favorite veggies.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

So KFC to me just like any fast food place the quality of the food will vary from store to store. fortunately the ones around me have pretty good quality standards.
    yeah, i've actually had wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches that were amazing, and then other times they were shit and hard. guess it's just a roll the dice thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    OMG! Me too I'm all the way on the Coast though.
    i'm slightly westish. close enough to charlotte that on a clear day, you can see the biggest buildings if you're looking over a nice clear area.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't typically eat a lot of fried chicken, but I just got back from Panama last week and it turns out that's one of their staples. Literally every restaurant I walked into during my 2 weeks there sold some variety of fried chicken.

Verdict? KFC is nasty, but local fried chicken is actually really good.