Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I don't typically eat a lot of fried chicken, but I just got back from Panama last week and it turns out that's one of their staples. Literally every restaurant I walked into during my 2 weeks there sold some variety of fried chicken.

Verdict? KFC is nasty, but local fried chicken is actually really good.
    I would like to think Fried Chicken is quite global. But that also makes me want to eat it from each place to see the differences in the way it is prepared.

Fried Chicken World Tour!
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    yeah, i've actually had wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches that were amazing, and then other times they were shit and hard. guess it's just a roll the dice thing.

i'm slightly westish. close enough to charlotte that on a clear day, you can see the biggest buildings if you're looking over a nice clear area.
    Yeaaahhhhhh I'm 30 minutes from the Ocean ^_^

Only time I've been to Charlotte is on a lay-over flight. (I fly in to New Bern)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I would like to think Fried Chicken is quite global. But that also makes me want to eat it from each place to see the differences in the way it is prepared.

Fried Chicken World Tour!
    Sounds like an interesting idea for sure!

However I've been to a few places around the world already, and fried chicken is definitely not very popular in London, Paris, Hamburg or Seoul. Although they really like chicken in Korea, just not fried.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Sounds like an interesting idea for sure!

However I've been to a few places around the world already, and fried chicken is definitely not very popular in London, Paris, Hamburg or Seoul. Although they really like chicken in Korea, just not fried.
    Heh, good to know. Maybe for health reasons? Fried chicken, as far as Im aware, isn't better for you than grilled chicken.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008
    I love their fried chicken gizzards.
    Gizzards and hearts are popular here, but I can't recall any of the fried chicken places doing them.

Up here, we get mainly chicken and duck gizzards (also hearts and livers). For a time I lived further south and it was also easy to get goose organs. Fried isn't that common, but they are often boiled or grilled. There are small shops that specialize in the boiled organs and a few other things that are popular food when drinking, your order is often dressed with a splash of oil that is spicy and numbing (ma la).

Aside from the organs that we eat with some frequency (heart, gizzard, and liver), cleaned and boiled duck intestines are popular. The duck intestines are usually dressed with the same kind of spicy oil, often quite spicy to get you to drink more. Some places have goose intestines, but I don't recall those being served spicy.

Since things like hearts and gizzards are popular snacks when drinking, they are regularly served at the various stuff on skewers places. Once the weather warms up there will be BBQ places all over, and it is popular to hang out there with beer and various skewers of stuff cooked over a smokey grill and usually seasoned with a blend of spices running heavy on chili peppers and salt (yep, they're making good money on beer).
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Gizzards and hearts are popular here, but I can't recall any of the fried chicken places doing them.

Up here, we get mainly chicken and duck gizzards (also hearts and livers). For a time I lived further south and it was also easy to get goose organs. Fried isn't that common, but they are often boiled or grilled. There are small shops that specialize in the boiled organs and a few other things that are popular food when drinking, your order is often dressed with a splash of oil that is spicy and numbing (ma la).

Aside from the organs that we eat with some frequency (heart, gizzard, and liver), cleaned and boiled duck intestines are popular. The duck intestines are usually dressed with the same kind of spicy oil, often quite spicy to get you to drink more. Some places have goose intestines, but I don't recall those being served spicy.

Since things like hearts and gizzards are popular snacks when drinking, they are regularly served at the various stuff on skewers places. Once the weather warms up there will be BBQ places all over, and it is popular to hang out there with beer and various skewers of stuff cooked over a smokey grill and usually seasoned with a blend of spices running heavy on chili peppers and salt (yep, they're making good money on beer).
    Never been a gizzard guy, but I'll definitely go down on some fried chicken livers

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I haven't eaten fried food in years...(ugh! The grease...)
    I had some for dinner on valentine day, an appetizer, I was pretty hungry so I figured hey, a cheese stick or 2 won't hurt. I felt sick by the time the meal was over I remember in my teens loving fried food, now it's just gross.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I had some for dinner on valentine day, an appetizer, I was pretty hungry so I figured hey, a cheese stick or 2 won't hurt. I felt sick by the time the meal was over I remember in my teens loving fried food, now it's just gross.
    I think I might die if I didn't have fried food once in a while. There's just a handful of things I really like. Things like dragon rolls which have fried shrimp on them, mmmmmm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    kfc used to be good to me.

then i tried bojangles and popeye's, and i learned the blasphemous error i made ever calling that shit good.

popeye's, bojangles, or home made(if you live in the south, with a mother versed in properly southern frying chicken) fried chicken's the only way to go. and you'd best have sweet iced tea and a biscuit with it.
    What is a 'biscuit' in this scenario? That sounds really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Southern biscuits. American use of the word "biscuit" is quite different from British use.

Left is an American biscuit, right is a British biscuit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Southern biscuits. American use of the word "biscuit" is quite different from British use.
    <snip>

Left is an American biscuit, right is a British biscuit.
    Are they sweet? Still seems like an odd pairing. I love southern fried chicken but I've never had it with what looks like a scone :P

Are they sweet? Still seems like an odd pairing. I love southern fried chicken but I've never had it with what looks like a scone :P
    Yes we get it. England has different names for food items than people in the united states. Do we really have to go through this every time there's a thread on food?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    The image is unfortunately large, but here is a link to a recipe for buttermilk biscuits. In the US those are a kind of bread, often associated with the American South. You'll have to scroll down a bit to find the biscuits.

The recipe: http://www.doniscasey.com/?page_id=1061

Biscuits with jelly:

Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik
    I love southern fried chicken but I've never had it with what looks like a scone
    They can be a bit like a scone. In some forms they are a little sweet, but not all are. They may be served with butter and jelly, but it is also common to serve them with cream gravy containing sausage or a form of dried meat. They can also be combined with things like eggs, cheese and ham to make a breakfast sandwich.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2017-02-16 at 05:44 PM. Reason: adjusting language for more native speakers than I'm used to
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    They are fluffy and flaky. Made with buttermilk, so yeah, sweet. Scones are drier than biscuits are.

Deleted
    Fried chicken means (to me) actual whole pieces of chicken. I don't count nuggets or similar as fried chicken. My favorit is if its made in the oven, instead of deep fried.
    Covered in spices and grinded cornflakes it is really delicious

they can be sweet, if you want them to be. otherwise they're not.

you can make them with sugar or cinnamon. been years since i've had one with sugar.

I like Churches Fried Chicken. I usually get their spicy leg and breast with a few jalapeno peppers since I love spicy food. I used to have one by me but it closed down. I think it was just used for money laundering since they were open really odd hours (6pm to 8pm, closed on Wednesday) and had their lights on 24 hours a day.

The best fried chicken I had was from S+L which is more like a pub. Their chef won master chef Canada with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Yes we get it. England has different names for food items than people in the united states. Do we really have to go through this every time there's a thread on food?
    I'm selling a Knicker Untwister if you're interested.