Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

New PTR 13/3, thanks Blizzard!

Finally removed the annoyance of starting a fight with 12 souls, wiping and then have to start with 0. Now we always start with 0! Problem solved.

Oh and if we have the buff up when an encounter starts, we lose it. I believe affliction is now fixed.

Source: Front page, pasting here too.

Souls are now reset to 0 at the start of an encounter. The buff is also canceled at the start of an encounter.
    Reason: Souls are a resource, and we have a rules about resetting your resources/stacks of a buff before an encounter, so that every attempt is standardized. Having souls the first time you fight a raid boss feels good, but it makes every other attempt after that feel worse by comparison.

Would be ok, if the reset every resource of every other class too.
    Rage
    Insanity
    everything else that counts...

If by "encounter" they also include 5-man encounters, then this will be annoying as fuck tbh. But at least it wont be as annoying when you are at 12 souls, ready to pull and someone says "sec just gonna go to the bathroom"...

7+ Year Old Account
    No encounters should just be raid bosses if i rememeber correctly, and also isnt rage, insanity, etc, reset on a boss pull aswell?
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    No encounters should just be raid bosses if i rememeber correctly, and also isnt rage, insanity, etc, reset on a boss pull aswell?
    Then I guess its ok, depending on how good the new trait is at gaining us soul. Would still prefer starting at 3 or so, if they want to standardize it. I believe my spriest starts at like 25 insanity, but not 100% sure. I dont think it drops to 0 though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feuerbart View Post
    Would be ok, if the reset every resource of every other class too.
    Rage
    Insanity
    everything else that counts...
    "Bar" resources resets to 30% atm I think. Insanity atleast goes to max 30 when a raid combat is entered. Same with Astral power. I think Souls slipped under the radar initially

Its a super good change, as you maybe can buff Aff slightly, and therefore increases its progression performance relative to the farm performance. (large difference atm)

I also raid with 2 Aff locks which gets salty if a pull is delayed on farm

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noaim View Post
    Then I guess its ok, depending on how good the new trait is at gaining us soul. Would still prefer starting at 3 or so, if they want to standardize it. I believe my spriest starts at like 25 insanity, but not 100% sure. I dont think it drops to 0 though.
    yes but that is a rescource, you start with 3 soul shards (or 2? i know its 3 for demo)
    the souls thing is a proc, it would be like if shadow preists could start combat with that haste buff they get from void form

Because the countless people saying they should give us a set number to start all encounters, like they gave us shards, are just foolish plebs I guess. These people are fucking brain dead. Affliction will now be horrible to play. Also, you see them say anything about buffing our baseline to make up for this fucking nonsense? Nahhhh, we too gud!

- - - Updated - - -

yes but that is a rescource, you start with 3 soul shards (or 2? i know its 3 for demo)
    the souls thing is a proc, it would be like if shadow preists could start combat with that haste buff they get from void form
    Not even close to the same thing. First, it isn't a proc. We also get souls from killing things (procs are random by definition). Second, it is our fucking artifact power. Who else cannot use their artifact power at the start of an encounter? Seriously, who else?

Ha-ha-HA!

I think that MANA should reset to 30% (or even 0% because class fantasy) so we'll start every encounter with a few GCDs of Life Tap!
    Soul Shards, Mana, Reap Souls. The only spec in the game with 3 resources, be proud of it!
    Ha-ha-HA!

at least affli felt good during AP/leggy farm runs.. and its gone!
    BETA CLUB

But what other class relies 100% upon rng or encounter design (lots of adds in our case) to generate their resource? If you for example compare it to energy, do any energy using class gain their energy based upon rng, so that they might go 30-40 secs gaining 0 energy?

The change is ok, but then our soul generation have to be standardized too. You cant just say "you will start at 0 resource because of standardization, but your rate of gaining that resource is rng-based, compared to everyone else who has a standardized generation too".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orwell7 View Post
    Ha-ha-HA!

I think that MANA should reset to 30% (or even 0% because class fantasy) so we'll start every encounter with a few GCDs of Life Tap!
    Soul Shards, Mana, Reap Souls. The only spec in the game with 3 resources, be proud of it!
    Ha-ha-HA!
    if you consider reap souls a resource.
    no your not
    Demo tech has 3 resources
    soulshards
    mana
    demons, as demon count acts for 2 abilities.

reap souls is not a resource, it is a ability.

no your not
    soulshards
    mana

Well, that is your definition. What Blizzard thinks has more impact though, and they say "Reason: Souls are a resource".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BannedForViews View Post
    Because the countless people saying they should give us a set number to start all encounters, like they gave us shards, are just foolish plebs I guess. These people are fucking brain dead. Affliction will now be horrible to play. Also, you see them say anything about buffing our baseline to make up for this fucking nonsense? Nahhhh, we too gud!

- - - Updated - - -

Not even close to the same thing. First, it isn't a proc. We also get souls from killing things (procs are random by definition). Second, it is our fucking artifact power. Who else cannot use their artifact power at the start of an encounter? Seriously, who else?
    Demo cant, Unholy cant, Shadow cant, Survival hunters,Mistweavers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noaim View Post
    Well, that is your definition. What Blizzard thinks has more impact though, and they say "Reason: Souls are a resource".
    ok then as i said, by that logic demons for demonology are also a resource, and they should start with 4 imps and a dreadstalker then.

no your not
    soulshards
    mana

Yeah demo has 2 resources + demons that have a resource "layer" on them - not resources in a classical way, as you always use them as they are available. You cannot "bank" imps, you cannot generate more dreadstalkers, and you cannot "use them" freely, you have a strict order that cannot be changed under any circumstances.
    Guess a little explanation won't hurt: while you can bank 3-5 soul shards and a few stacks of reap to use with 3-5 UA for burn phases, you cannot freely convert soul shards into more than 2 dreadstalkers, you cannot summon another felguard, and you can't have more imps than your haste permits (and, therefore, you have to use TKC at the right moment, as demons as a resource cannot be banked)

So I guess that counts as 2.5 resources :P

Deleted
    ok then as i said, by that logic demons for demonology are also a resource, and they should start with 4 imps and a dreadstalker then.
    Careful what you wish for. Lots of aff locks wished for a minimum "resource" (= no. of souls) at the start and now ended up with that minimum equal to maximum of 0

If you wish that same for demo, you might just run into the next PTR note of "all existing demons of Demonology warlocks will disappear at the start of an encounter. So will the artifact buff from dying/expiring imps."

However: I do agree with Blizzard that it is MUCH easier to balance when every fight starts with 0. This way, they can still make reap somewhat meaningful, despite the fact that with the new trait and the leggy cloak, you could theoretically have 100% uptime.

All in all it's a meaningless change done for consistency between classes.

On progress bosses it doesn't matter cos you don't have souls. On farm bosses it doesn't matter cos farm doesn't matter

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    Careful what you wish for. Lots of aff locks wished for a minimum "resource" (= no. of souls) at the start and now ended up with that minimum equal to maximum of 0

If you wish that same for demo, you might just run into the next PTR note of "all existing demons of Demonology warlocks will disappear at the start of an encounter. So will the artifact buff from dying/expiring imps."

However: I do agree with Blizzard that it is MUCH easier to balance when every fight starts with 0. This way, they can still make reap somewhat meaningful, despite the fact that with the new trait and the leggy cloak, you could theoretically have 100% uptime.
    No one even gets imps and such at the start of a fight, because they literally only last 12 seconds so its near impossible to get imps out, get ready and pull before they dont even get a cast off

Deleted
    For those who are playing on ptr:
    1) Does the new drain artifact trait compensate this nerf? If boodlust is used on pull, how long do you usually have to drain to get at least one soul?
    2)Does this nerf apply to 5 man content too? This would rreally be an issue, cause starting a boss without souls sucks on a 5 min raid boss, but on a 2 min boss it really f eels terrible.

Deleted
    Seems stupid to compare it to shadowpriest's insanity.. There is a pretty good chance you can go through the whole BL buff (45 seconds) without ANY soul.. I wish this was really uncommon but it isn't. I've had countless of tries on Krosus mythic and the amount of times I had 0 or maybe 1 soul during BL was absolutely not to be neglected. This is a significant loss of dps since you only get bl once per fight. Shadow priests can easily build up insanity (no rng factor here) and go into voidform during BL at pull. So really it's not comparable.. They should have just given us a standard of 3 souls on the opener which would at least give us a bit of burst on the fights we use BL at the opener.