10+ Year Old Account

Angry Moms' Obesity Linked to Kids' Asthsma and Other Ills

We've known for a long time that if a woman is obese during pregnancy she'll be more likely to experience problems such as gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, and to have unusually large babies. But we're now learning more about the health consequences for the offspring. A recent review of studies in The Lancet/Diabetes Endocrinology found links between maternal obesity and negative effects on a child's health.

As part of a series in that journal, Drs Keith M. Godfrey and Rebecca M. Reynolds, from the University of Southampton and University Hospital Southampton, UK and University of Edinburgh, Scotland, respectively, noted the negative effects on offsprings' cardiometabolic health. They also reviewed studies examining possible links between maternal weight and allergic/asthmatic and neurobehavioral consequences.

Eleven recent international studies showed significant links between maternal pre-pregnancy obesity or excess weight gain/obesity during pregnancy and children's wheezing or asthma. Links to other allergic conditions were not significant.

In addition, the investigators reviewed eight studies of possible connections between maternal overweight/obesity and behavioral disorders in the offspring. Significant associations were found between maternal extreme obesity and excessive pregnancy weight gain and cerebral palsy. And autism spectrum disorder was also associated with these factors — the association ranged from moderate to strong in the different studies.

The authors suggested that such effects might be mediated by maternal factors known to be associated with obesity: excessive nutrients such as fatty acids and glucose; excessive hormones such as insulin and leptin; excessive pro-inflammatory markers such as interleukins and tumor necrosis factor. They postulate that such factors might affect the offspring via an epigenetic route — e.g. DNA methylation.
    http://acsh.org/news/2017/02/15/moms...her-ills-10866

This is really upsetting. Parenting is a serious responsibility. People need to understand that and make the necessary choices to let their children succeed.

Or what? You gonna lock up all women and force feed them what you think they all need to eat if you get the resources to do so that way all their kids will be super kids?
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-02-17 at 02:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Or what? You gonna take the kids outta their homes that don't have what they need and then place them all in an underfunded orphanage that doesn't have what they need too?
    It's about starting small bud. Spread the word. Influence those around you at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's about starting small bud. Spread the word. Influence those around you at the very least.
    the word about what? I have no idea what someone else needs to eat. hell, i still trying to figure out what i dont get diarrhea or allergic reactions to by sampling things. i aint got the money to worry about what might kill someone else, that's for sure

10+ Year Old Account
    the word about what? I have no idea what someone else needs to eat. hell, i still trying to figure out what i dont get diarrhea or allergic reactions to by sampling things. i aint got the money to worry about what might kill someone else, that's for sure
    If your sister,wife, friend etc is planning on having kids, inform them of the risks of obesity. Are you currently doing this?

the word about what?
    Being a land whale is unhealthy. Not sure what there is to defend.

Then again, we live in a nation that celebrates fatties.

If your sister,wife, friend etc is planning on having kids, inform them of the risks of obesity. Are you currently doing this?
    nope. if they cant figure out that being fat gonna make your life a struggle every-time they pick up something heavy, i dont have the patience to try to teach them the science their school couldnt

10+ Year Old Account
    nope. if they cant figure out that being fat gonna make your life a struggle every-time they pick up something heavy, i dont have the patience to try to teach them the science their school couldnt
    Really? So you see action which could hurt the child and you do nothing? What if she was smoking or drinking alcohol?

Why tennisace don't like fat people?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It's like the Evangelical preachers who hate gays but get caught soliciting in men's rooms.

I think tennis low key likes the big'uns.

Really? So you see action which could hurt the child and you do nothing? What if she was smoking or drinking alcohol?
    if she don't care what it does to herself, why would you think she would stop just cuz she pregnant?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if half these people going on about obesity sit down for more than 3 hours a day, because sitting down is now regarded as the new smoking.. Also obesity is both genetic and environmental..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Makes me wonder as well whether or not the OP is a fatist.. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fatist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    I wonder if half these people going on about obesity sit down for more than 3 hours a day, because sitting down is now regarded as the new smoking.. Also obesity is both genetic and environmental..

- - - Updated - - -

Makes me wonder as well whether or not the OP is a fatist.. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fatist

I'm pro healthy living. I don't see the issue.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pro healthy living. I don't see the issue.
    The main problem would be the food companies that produce overly processed foods are always cheaper than real food.. And since real food is always dearer than processed and as such people will buy that instead, that and most processed food is ready made just heat and eat..

In the end it is better to gently guide the person to healthy eating with a better outcome, than it is to force it down their throats and make them more resistant than ever before..
    Last edited by grexly75; 2017-02-17 at 02:59 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Or what? You gonna lock up all women and force feed them what you think they all need to eat if you get the resources to do so that way all their kids will be super kids?
    Don't worry Grand Imperial Dicklicker trudeau will impose fat tax soon as part of his master plan to ruin the middle class and rape the poor (ty carbon tax)

Being fat is bad.

More news at 11.