Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy Resto shaman performance issues (start of heroic NH)

Greetings fellow shaman.
    A bit of a background - I am a veteran shaman player gone rather casual, used to excel at elemental and restoration in then actual content. Since Legion, I've chosen to switch mains, but kept shaman on track, sort of. Today I've been asked to step in as a resto. My results are below, and they are below satisfactory. I don't fancy the idea of whoring hps by using totems asap, trying to fit in 2 or 3 during the fight. I use them when the situation demands it (or so I believe). Anyway,

Looking for your help in looking through my performance here.

my armory link can be found here.

I'd appreciate your tips and comments.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone? I could really use some help. Please advise.

Druids / Palas / Holy Priests are OP as fuck.

So don't worry.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks but a little more insight would be appreciated. It's not like I can justify my raidspot by such claims.

You're 3 healing 14 man heroic. There isn't really enough damage for a shaman to shine. Didn't look too much atm at the logs but just noticed that right away.

Deleted
    Like Brio said your performance will by far depend on how good or bad the other healers are. Shamans shine at keeping the raid alive but are a lot less powerful when noone drops low. That said, I have a few pointers on what I think you could do differently.

1) You should value Critical Strike and Mastery a lot higher.
    I have around 5% more Crit and around 23% more Mastery with the same item level as you. You may also want to get the Karazhan cloak (+10% on critical heals).

2) I personally prefer Ascendance as my last tier talent.
    Again your job is to keep the raid alive so aim for talents and cooldowns that help you do this.

Finally don't be afraid to use some cooldowns. Shamans have some really strong cooldowns for getting the raid back up. Others healers may be able to do the same but it's often at a lot higher mana cost.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheeana View Post
    Like Brio said your performance will by far depend on how good or bad the other healers are. Shamans shine at keeping the raid alive but are a lot less powerful when noone drops low. That said, I have a few pointers on what I think you could do differently.

1) You should value Critical Strike and Mastery a lot higher.
    I have around 5% more Crit and around 23% more Mastery with the same item level as you. You may also want to get the Karazhan cloak (+10% on critical heals).

2) I personally prefer Ascendance as my last tier talent.
    Again your job is to keep the raid alive so aim for talents and cooldowns that help you do this.

Finally don't be afraid to use some cooldowns. Shamans have some really strong cooldowns for getting the raid back up. Others healers may be able to do the same but it's often at a lot higher mana cost.
    First of all, thanks for your comment. I should have also mentioned that this is an alt of mine, moderately kept up-to-date for what little content I do.

1) I do, yet RNG has other thing in store for me. All that I have is 30-40 ilvls higher than the counterpart with crit.
    2) I'll have a look at going back to Ascendance. Thanks!
    3) I am not afraid to use some cooldowns, but I believe them to be used on the occasion. I've seen people popping healing tide during the first 30 seconds into the boss? The hell? Cant reason with this logic.

Anything from the log? any critical mistakes by me?

7+ Year Old Account
    First things first, you shouldn't out heal a druid/hpala combo. Especially in a 14m. Even more-so in a 14m that kills bosses quickly.
    Also, you're dpsing. You should at that point do to the unnecessary healing output you guys have available. It does effect your output though, as you are missing globals that could be spent sniping heals. You also have a dps legendary with a not-as-strong healer legendary. Both of those can make a bit of a difference.

As for your healing, I have a few tips that can vary on different fights.
    Skorpyron: Ancestral Vigor is more effective on progression fights with high-damage hitting boss abilities. Earthen Shield Totem is extremely effective on fights where a lot of damage is happening at once. I would recommend you switching to EST due to the constant tank damage and the mini scorpions. Your cloudburst totem is extremely ineffective on this fight. 63% over healing is too much for any ability. It may be your usage, it may be because there isn't enough healing needed on that fight with your comp. Bottomless Depths probably wouldn't help with your mana much due to the majority of the raid not dipping low enough to proc it. Echo would most likely benefit you the most on that tier.
    Chronomatic Anomaly: Better cd timing on this fight. Less over-healing on them than Skorpyron. You should practice being more aware of other healers using CDs so you can determine the best time to pop your Cloudburst totem. Exorsus Raid Tools is handy for this. You're still putting out over 50% over healing with it. There are weakaura's that show you how much healing is in it, so you can determine when to pop it early or when to let it expire once you combine those two things.
    Trilliax: Much better on CBT this fight. Only 12% over healing. Your healing tide has a fair bit of over healing due to it's overlap with your hpala's wings. It hurts you more than it hurts him, with our mastery. I know you have the legendary boots, but healing rain can be pretty tricky to place on this fight to where it's most effective. Don't expect to really parse on this fight without mechanics being intentionally ignored.
    Krosus: Better usage of CBT and Healing Rain. Ancestral Guidance usage is spot on, as well. Are your healers setting up a CD rotation? Your hpala popped wings during your healing tide again.

General tips: Your artifact is a major source of your output. Trait 34 is a pretty significant hindrance to you. Also, if you prefer to stick to a chain-heal type of build, I would recommend you staying away from Undulation. Unleash life would help you on fights where you have room to heal and Torrent would be more effective on the general fight. Deluge may be worth testing as well, since your other healers take care of the bigger bursts easy enough that AG might not be needed.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom

On the comment of CDs, almost every fight in nighthold dictates the best times to use CDs. Very rarely should you be holding a cd for an oh shit moment in nighthold. So if your healing tide, for example, is set to go down more than 3 minutes into the fight then you can pop it really early to push your numbers higher if you care about that or to save mana of the fight is causing you mana problems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VKP View Post
    3) I am not afraid to use some cooldowns, but I believe them to be used on the occasion. I've seen people popping healing tide during the first 30 seconds into the boss? The hell? Cant reason with this logic.
    The logic behind doing so, aside from getting the highest hps is mainly saving mana. Most fights usually fall into two categories. The first one is a fight where the same damage pattern occurs throughout the whole fight. In fights like this the first cooldown can be used as soon as relevant damage is coming in. The second fight is where you need your cd for a specific ability/phase/transistion etc. If that point is further into the fight than your cooldown feel free to use it. Cooldowns generally give a high amount of health for very low amounts of mana. Thus even if half of it goes directly into overhealing you still saved mana on the fight if you can use your cooldown more often. If you pressing healing tide allows the other healers to save mana / dps in the mean time and you still have it ready again when you need it (which you will often have), then it's a gain for your raid group.
    In often makes sense to let the shaman go first with cds anyway as he gets 25% heal out of heroism which will often be active at the start of the fight.