Page 1 of 3
LastLast

It is time to quit Hearthstone Blizzard

Title says it all really.

Today's play is disgusting for new players or returning ones who simply want a few minutes of iOS/Windows fun...

They really stand no chance in a game that has been a joke for the last 2 years now and it simply gets worse with each expansion. The best time with HS was the first year of course.

After this first year, the typical CCG mechanic came in: a game purely made for whales...

HS also dropped out of the top 100 of revenue stream in iOS, meaning the vast majority of active players are the "whales" type, the rest doesn't bother to buy or play again.

I hope Blizzard will launch a Diablo card game based on some new mechanics, like deck building or other card draw mechanics before HS further drowns into oblivion.

4 years has been enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better late than never, HS is a dead game allready at least for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    But as a f2p you can get a few minutes of fun? or is it only fun for you when you're running the strongest deck that requires some $$ or time played to earn the gold?... like most f2p games.
    You can get to legend with f2p/cheap decks, many people have proved it.

I drop $20 on each expansion, and buy the adventures with gold, and I have a heap of fun in bursts.
    But if you don't like the game, then quit it.

It was always a CCG, since day 1, it's not their fault that you decided you don't like that model.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    HS also dropped out of the top 100 of revenue stream in iOS, meaning the vast majority of active players are the "whales" type, the rest doesn't bother to buy or play again.
    Nice stats.
    If the game was failing for any reason, it's because of the lack of balance updates (which is finally happening).
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Don't worry, I'm sure that "the year of the mammoth" with 3 expansions slated in one year will help alleviate the situation...

Each expac makes it harder for new/returning/f2p players to be competitive.
    Longer time between each expac makes the game boring/stale for current players.

Basically, whatever Blizz chooses to do, there will be some group complaining.

Deleted
    Have you ever considered, that maybe,... just maybe you are just not their target group?

I mean; players unlikely to convert to paying players are not exactly the wet-dream of a company.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post

It was always a CCG, since day 1, it's not their fault that you decided you don't like that model.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice stats.
    If the game was failing for any reason, it's because of the lack of balance updates (which is finally happening).
    Actually the CCG mechanic is surpassed by the LCG mechanic these days in many of these deck builder types.

The Living Card Game stands for expansion packs that have the exact KNOWN (number of ) cards and so packages are no longer random. Since the players are no longer confronted with random draw, players tend to stick longer in buying expansions.

In the past EVERY CC game would die in around 2-3 years because of the "whale" mechanic, while LCG's easely double that period.

Of course the BEST solution is the LCG integrated within a solo card play, like the extremely popular Lord of the Ring LCG (+ 5 years old) and the brand new Arkham Horror LCG. Both of these are solo able too, so you can always go back and replay them even within 10 years or so.

An added advantage is that you can stop buying LCG expansions when it suits you and STILL have fun in solo mode.

Also a game like the Star Wars LCG has an extremely good solo variant made by its players on Boardgamegeek which prolonged the game as well over 5 years already.

All these things Hearthstone - as a CCG - doesn't have so a player really HAS NO CHOICE but to continue buying every 2-3 months the latest "must haves"... which simply means ... an ever thinning crowd using massive amounts of overpowered cards a newbee will never get.

Logical conclusion: the game's revenue and player numbers is nose diving like any other CCG after X years.

Anecdote incoming: Literally 100% of my friends who play Hearthstone, including myself, have all quit in the last year. Most of us did during Old Gods due to them fucking up the entire meta with their new p2w overpowered as fuck cards.

I tried to come back about a month ago and I was so underpowered, and also forced to play like an hour against AI with shitty decks for some reason before I had access to even my library, that I just uninstalled it again.

Hope the millions were worth it, because I don't know a single person who thinks the game is still good or fun. Its also exceptionally fucking boring to watch "professionally," if you can even call that RNG joke of a game a professionally competitive game.

I remember browsing some of the shadier corners of the internet a few years ago, coming across so many Hearthstone ads, and thinking, "Man, this game is really going viral". Not to mention, EVERYBODY and their moms were streaming their beta access on Twitch.

In the end, the aggressive marketing was there for a reason - Hearthstone had an expiry date attached to it, and the milk was already going sour.

I will forever retain those fond memories of waking up in the morning, preparing a nice cup of coffee, then melting my opponents with my Frost Giant Mage deck for a few rounds before heading out for the morning classes. People like to rat on about how Hearthstone was pure RNG, but you could really outplay your opponents by anticipating their deck composition, saving your coin for the right turn, etc.

I don't think that I will ever be able to enjoy a card game to the same degree again. Goodbye, Innkeeper.

I still like it, how much of a playerbase it has I never really look into but I generally always see it as the second most spectated game on Twitch behind LoL so it can't be doing that bad.

Deleted
    "I don't like a video game any more, the company should stop supporting it!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I just get my monthly card back and log out now days

I'll probably come back to it fully again at some point.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Pay to win games are pay to win. More news at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Pay to win games are pay to win. More news at 11.
    You missed the "L" out between the P and the A

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Have you ever considered, that maybe,... just maybe you are just not their target group?

I mean; players unlikely to convert to paying players are not exactly the wet-dream of a company.
    unless youre great arena player and ruin the day for dozens of other people when you play it, who have to buy next arena with cash

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah game was completely ruined and broken by old gods expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    You missed the "L" out between the P and the A
    Right. If you don't play, you can't win.

As someone who quit and came back, I found very little problems with coming back(I have only a handful of the Grand Tourney cards). I dust cards that aren't big in the meta to make the ones that are. Last season, I was able to get to rank 13 using nearly all basic cards in the form of a Murloc Paladin deck. I have a few of the Gadgetzan buff your hand cards to make for a pretty strong rush deck. Even this season, I've managed to hit rank 15 without much hassle. So to say you can't be semi competitive with (mostly) basic cards isn't correct.

If you're aiming for Legendary, its silly to think you shouldn't have invest time and money into it.

My decklist is:
    Grimscale Chum x2 (MSoG)
    Grimscale Oracle x2 (Basic)
    Murloc Tidecaller x2 (Basic)
    Noble Sacrifice x1 (Basic)
    Smuggler's Run x2 (MSoG)
    Vilefin Inquisitor x1(Old God)
    Bilefin Tidehunter x2 (Old God)
    Gluegill Warrior x1 (Basic)
    Equality x2 (Basic)
    Grimestreet Outfitter x2 (MSoG)
    Murloc Tidehunter x2 (Basic)
    Coldlight Oracle x1 (Basic)
    Coldlight Seer x2 (Basic)
    Divine Favor x2 (Basic)
    Murloc Warleader x2 (Basic)
    Consecration x2 (Basic)
    Murloc Knight x2 (Grand Tourney)
    Grimestreet Enforcer (MSoG)
    Anyfin Can Happen x2 (LoE)

Note: Grimestreet Enforcer can probably be replaced by something else, its mostly in the deck to draw a sheep or hard removal from your opponent.

19 Basic
    7 MSoG
    2 LoE
    2 Grand Tourney

2 uncraftable cards, a lot of common and cheap dust cost cards. The hardest deck to face is a Pirate Shaman. It does pretty well against Pirate Warrior and decent success against Pirate Rogue. Struggles against decks that are curve decks, but if played extremely aggressively you can overcome a lot of these issues. I would always suggest playing Coldlight Oracle before playing Divine Favor especially against late game decks because you can make them burn up important cards while filling your hand.

Losing Murloc Knight might crush this deck in the future, but it depends on what are the replacements coming out.
    Last edited by Coldfrostzero; 2017-02-17 at 03:38 PM.

Hearthstone is wildly successful. It isn't going anywhere. They're more likely to drop World of Warcraft before they drop Hearthstone at this point(not that they'll drop either).

Why are all of you reading this forum if the game is so bad and dead, as you say? Just curious.