Trying to install Windows 10, no success (Bootable flash drive)

Hi there,

So, I've built my first build in 12 years now (fuck, i'm getting old).

NZXT S810
    i7 7700
    Geforce GTX 980TI G1 Gaming
    Samsung EVO 850 500gb
    HyperX Fury 8GB 2133mhz X2
    H110m-K ASUS

Now the thing is,

I'm trying to install Windows 10 Professional x64 which I have downloaded from Microsoft's official website,
    I've downloaded the Media Tool of course, and , surprisingly it doesn't recognize my Disk on Key (SanDisk 16GB Cruzer Glide),
    So, I've googled it up and used Rufus as people recommended, installed the ISO on the Disk on Key, of course I've formatted it and made it bootable before, but when I plug it in, and run it,
    The installation gets stuck at some point (usually on Preparing files ..)

If anyone has any idea what could be done about it,
    I'd appreciate any piece of information and help, a lot!!

Thanks in advance for your time,
    Len.

had same problem after i builded my pc try to either reconnect sata cable or re burn the dvd/recreate bootable usb might be some corrupted files

Do you have a different USB Drive you could try. There could be something about that one that makes it not recognized as bootable. I had similar issues with Cruzer Glides before, went out and picked up a different stick, a PNY something or other, worked just fine. I think at the time when I did a little research I read that they changed something about the Cruzer Glides when Microsoft changed the requirements for bootable drives to make them compliant, then they changed back to the old way. They did this with no model number changes or anything, so 2 of the same Cruzer Glides and one might work and the other might not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Do you have a different USB Drive you could try. There could be something about that one that makes it not recognized as bootable. I had similar issues with Cruzer Glides before, went out and picked up a different stick, a PNY something or other, worked just fine. I think at the time when I did a little research I read that they changed something about the Cruzer Glides when Microsoft changed the requirements for bootable drives to make them compliant, then they changed back to the old way. They did this with no model number changes or anything, so 2 of the same Cruzer Glides and one might work and the other might not.
    Don't have another one, sadly

and I've tried reinstalling like a trillion times.. rebooting and reinstalling the ISO on the key...
    no luck :/

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Don't have another one, sadly

and I've tried reinstalling like a trillion times.. rebooting and reinstalling the ISO on the key...
    no luck :/
    Do you know someone that has one you could borrow? Or a Wal-Mart nearby? They are pretty cheap.

Do you know someone that has one you could borrow? Or a Wal-Mart nearby? They are pretty cheap.
    No one close enough, sadly :<

No walmarts either, I don't live in the U.S.

I went to this 24/7 non stop shops,
    and they had SanDisk Cruzer Blade's but I figured I shouldn't take the risk.. and they want almost double for what it's worth lol

I'm not touching any Sandisk USB's anytime soon ..

No one close enough, sadly :<

No walmarts either, I don't live in the U.S.

I went to this 24/7 non stop shops,
    and they had SanDisk Cruzer Blade's but I figured I shouldn't take the risk.. and they want almost double for what it's worth lol

I'm not touching any Sandisk USB's anytime soon ..
    That really sucks. Best bet at this point then is to order a different one online somewhere and wait for it. I know waiting sucks, but if it is the same issue I had, not much else you can really do about it at this point. Sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    You -should- just be able to use the Microsoft "Win 7 DVD USB Tool" which I believe is what you were using (yes?)

That said, if it didnt detect a drive, it may be the USB drive itself. I have run across, on rare occasion, some drives that just don't.... do it. They seem to have some kind of setup (not formatting) that simply doesn't allow it. The drive itself works fine for data transfer, but cannot be used as a bootable drive. I've seen it on perhaps 5 out of 200 drives used for booting.

Getting another one (different brand/model) may well outright fix it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Here's a question to find out if it is the drive or not, as I went back looking again for the same info I saw when I had this problem. When you plug the drive in to a working machine is it listed as a local disc or a removable disc? If it registers as a local disc, sadly, there is nothing you can do besides get another one. There are some drives out there that are just not recognized as removable media and can not be used as an installation media. Some other brands, like Lexmark, actually have a tool that allows you to change the bit that determines that. SanDisk has no such tool however.

Also, if you google "SanDisk Cruzer Glide not bootable" you'll find tons of people with the same issues. It seems most solved it by just getting another drive.

Here's a question to find out if it is the drive or not, as I went back looking again for the same info I saw when I had this problem. When you plug the drive in to a working machine is it listed as a local disc or a removable disc? If it registers as a local disc, sadly, there is nothing you can do besides get another one. There are some drives out there that are just not recognized as removable media and can not be used as an installation media. Some other brands, like Lexmark, actually have a tool that allows you to change the bit that determines that. SanDisk has no such tool however.

Also, if you google "SanDisk Cruzer Glide not bootable" you'll find tons of people with the same issues. It seems most solved it by just getting another drive.
    tried with the win7 tool, no luck either.
    It shows as removable, and not as a local disk.

Oh well, I'll wait for sunday.

tried with the win7 tool, no luck either.
    It shows as removable, and not as a local disk.

Oh well, I'll wait for sunday.
    Hmm, if it shows as removable, it should work. That's the problem I had and most people I saw that had issues with the same drive had. The disk was showing as a local drive, not a removable one. Weird. Maybe a low-level format would fix the issue?

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    SanDisk Cruzer Glide don't work as bootable drives. Had the same problem.

I got a no name usb from on of the local supermarkets and that worked with out any problems
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: