Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Are you a "city person" or a "country person"?

I was born in a city, although on the most outer edge of one and grew up in a village after the age of 10.
    Today I work in a city but live in a village and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I love the peace and quiet surroundings, the social events that villages tend to have and let's not forget having lot's and lot's of space for a big garden.
    Love working in a city, but couldnt imagine myself living there. It's really a working environment for me.

So basically, I am a country person myself. How about you?

I was mostly raised in London and New York. Now I live in Madrid. My grandparents have a ranch in Upstate New York, so I also gardened, took care of animals, slaughtered chickens etc growing up.

My first 3 years out of college I worked in mostly remote locations, it had its charm. Now I'm a quintessential office fiend.

I love big cities. I get bored quickly. I like the restaurants, bars, concerts, art events etc. I much prefer cities (big ones) to villages or towns.

Deleted
    Country. Without any doubt.

7+ Year Old Account
    Up until my mid 30s I was pretty solidly in the "city person" column. The older I get though, the more I move toward the "country person" column.

In point of fact I've been, for the first time ever, looking for a new house that is somewhat out in the sticks, in my case hoping to find something in Sebastapol, CA; further away from SF than I have ever been since I moved out here in 1989. Ten, fifteen years ago this thought would have never crossed my younger mind.

I'm from Wisconsin. Definitely country. Nothing better than the sounds of nature. Also, can't beat the stargazing. The light pollution in cities makes stargazing impossible.

City, unfortunately i live in Miami now. It's not much of a city tbh.

Deleted
    100% county person. Nothing disgusted me more than 5 years in a city. I love to be alone, wandering through forests and actually seeing some animals.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in a city that is big enough (~165k people live here) to have all the conveniences of a bigger city (shops, restaurants, cinema, bars, etc.) but is small enough to not feel lost in the crowd. My house is located such that I can stand in the nearby fields/forests within ~8 minutes or go downtown and have a beer in a bar in ~5.

So if you'd put it as a scale 1-10, country-city, I'd probably rank a 3 or 4.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    I'm from Wisconsin. Definitely country. Nothing better than the sounds of nature. Also, can't beat the stargazing. The light pollution in cities makes stargazing impossible.
    That's pretty much the only thing I wish I could do that I can't around here.

I'm from pretty much what you could call suburbia. I live a half hour from Atlantic city and Philadelphia. I've been to both plenty. But where I'm from the tallest building is either the local Catholic Church's click tower or a twelve story elderly home apartment building, and that's it. Everything else in town in one to the stories tall. The city is surrounded by farm land. And the fact the entire region is or was pine barrens is the reason why.

So as much as I've been to the city and enjoy the always moving nature of them, wide open spaces are always more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystrome View Post
    I live in a city that is big enough (~165k people live here) to have all the conveniences of a bigger city (shops, restaurants, cinema, bars, etc.) but is small enough to not feel lost in the crowd.
    Yeah, I'm sorry to tell you, but no. You would only ever say that if you never lived in a city of 2 million +.

Lived in both city and country. The older i get tge more i just want to leave the city and it's rat race behind. Just want to move down the coast and be a recluse moost days.

i'm adaptable. wherever i am, as long as i have a small room to myself, i'm ok.

i guess i prefer the country though. i do like having yard and some nature smells and sounds.

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I don't like the crime you find in large population centers, I grew up in a small town and crime was unknown other than minor stuff like drunk and disorderly, I don't think it was because people were more law abiding, mostly the low crime was due to people recognizing you on sight, there was zero anonymity.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Yeah, I'm sorry to tell you, but no. You would only ever say that if you never lived in a city of 2 million +.
    Just because you have (obviously) more choice in a metropolis doesn't mean I don't have the things I mentioned. I don't need 21 cinema's in a 10 km radius to consider it a convenience. The 3 we have is plenty. I don't need 200 restaurants either. The 30-ish we have is plenty.

For example, I have both this and this within 10 minutes from where I live.

Also, there aren't any 2M cities anywhere closeby. Largest would be Amsterdam @ around 700k, which I avoid like the plague it is.

7+ Year Old Account
    Wheres the third option; "What do you mean there's a world outside of this room?".

Because thats what i am.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of in between. I live in the country but I take frequent trips to the city (Austin, Houston) because with city life you really don't run out of stuff to do and really you can't match city life as far as diversity but ultimately I think I'll always want to live in the country because I do enjoy my free space and open land that's not occupied by concrete jungles.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm born and raised around the Stockholm area and now live a bit outside it, so a city person. I would like to live out in the country side tho, would be nice.. I hate hearing children screaming outside my window because they are playing.. Sure, cant stop 'em, but they dont need to yell T_T

let's just say I like area's that have plenty of options when it comes to food and entertainment. so I appreciate urban settings more then rural areas. that said my dream place to live is in Colorado around Denver but to the west in the hills leading to the Rockies. basically I'd love to have a few acres of land to do whatever I want with and be able to drive less than 40 mins to get some take out.

Well people who like city living generally don't drive, or if the do its not a population dense city, generally speaking.

Though what people consider "country" living in the city is no where near country living, generally speaking. You need 10 minutes of driving past nothing but cornfields before you're officially out in the country. And theres plenty of people out there who don't consider THAT to be the country.

Small citys / towns.