Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Hope they sue the employers. What jerks

"Tennessee is an employment-at-will state which basically means an employer can end your employment at any time without reason or cause. Of course there are a lot of different stipulations, civil rights issues that could stop them from doing that,"

they cant do anything by the sounds of it, unless theyre lucky enough to have protesting be one of the stipulations.

good for the boss, i would have fired anyone that would cost me money as well...

anyways, dont see what the problem is... this is just an extended "no mexicans day".

they fucking proved their own point, it is awesome.

7+ Year Old Account
    They were obviously easily replaceable as well

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Not showing up on a scheduled shift without prior permission to take off is more than justifiable as a reason for dismissal.
    Ya cause I'm sure none of you have missed a shift and if you did miss one you would get fired. It's not because the fact they missed work it's because of their political statement.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I mean they literally refused to work. Companies have schedules to maintain.
    The point of protests like this is to illustrate how much of the United States' day-to-day economic engine depends on people not from here. Shutting down visas from unpopular countries is an easy sell that most rational folks won't argue with. Some people are concerned that Steve Bannon and his "black crime" publication are just using this to set precedent for larger, nastier policy.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post

"Tennessee is an employment-at-will state which basically means an employer can end your employment at any time without reason or cause."

Must be a great place to live (and work). LOL

Is it an at-will state? If so, good luck with that lawsuit.

Deleted
    What was the premise of "A day without immigrants"?

As someone that has lived and worked in Tennessee most of my life I can tell you it would just be a waste of time and money because they would lose. The only way they would win is if they could prove some form of civil rights issue or hostile work environment, neither of which this sounds like.

Tennessee is a right to work state, which basically means the employer can do what it wants, when it wants.

Someone also mentioned Unions, which tells me they don't know the area very well. Outside of the auto industry, and some places like Tyson foods, there are no unions really around here. Generally they are despised here by most workers. At least in my town, unions have cost jobs and had lower wages than non-union places. Union is pretty much a dirty word down here.

Most places have some kind of attendance policy though, and most of those include not calling in before your shift can be considered abandoning your job and they can fire you.

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    Must be a great place to live (and work). LOL
    Most states in the US are at-will. You, or the company can end employment at any time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    What was the premise of "A day without immigrants"?
    Apparently it was to show the world what a day without immigrants would be like. For example, I live about an hour from Hazleton, PA (where it's primarily hispanics) and there were entire city blocks shut down, no businessed open, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they were that easily replaceable, then "a day without them" wasn't so bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Apparently it was to show the world what a day without immigrants would be like. For example, I live about an hour from Hazleton, PA (where it's primarily hispanics) and there were entire city blocks shut down, no businessed open, etc.
    That is actually fairly good way of protesting, not sure how popular it is though.

going without 18 employees till the find new and train them, will be more costly in the end.

HAHAHA. Too funny.

Yep, in the real world skipping work CAN and DOES result in job loss.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Most states in the US are at-will. You, or the company can end employment at any time.

But that's horrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    That is actually fairly good way of protesting, not sure how popular it is though.
    It did nothing except hurt their bank account though. Everyone just went elsewhere, lol.

Is it an at-will state? If so, good luck with that lawsuit.

i was fired in an at-will state and went to the labor board and got unemployment and my full severance. did not get my job back though.

even thought it's an at-will state does not mean they have the right to fire you for anything and everything.

i got fired for something that happened in my personal life, outside the company......

the labor department will look at their internal rules, policies and contracts if they exsist and i guarantee that they do not include dismissal on a single instance of missing work, ESPECIALLY since they notified the employee.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    They can't really.

Tennessee is an employment-at-will state which basically means an employer can end your employment at any time without reason or cause.
    Why are American worker rights so fucked up? This is almost cyberpunk dystopian.

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    But that's horrible!
    Eh? If you don't like your place of employment you should be able to leave at any time. If you're employer doesn't like your performance he should be able to fire you at any time. How in the hell is it horrible? It's great for both parties.

I would have torched the location down if someone where to ever treat me with such little respect. Luckely slave labor is illigal where I live, and at the same time my fellow citizen aren't brainwashed idiots.