Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Switch and Xbox One versions "under consideration"

Switch limitations is going to be the new meme. As for Xbox One I imagine not many will bother with it if they have to pay the live sub on top of the FF14 sub since PS4 only requires the FF14 sub. And if cross play doesn't happen then nobody will touch the XBO version. Microsoft need to stop being arrogant shits and allow cross play with the PS4 and PC versions. It's one game at the end of the day. An Xbox One version of this will not survive if cross play doesn't happen.

Tbh I have no idea on the Switch specs but aren't they less than the PS4? So wouldn't we genuinely end up with it being a burden in the future? As long as the Switch doesn't become a burden like the PS3 did then I guess introducing it isn't an issue. As for Xbox One if they don't allow cross play then don't even bother. That's just asking for a DOA version.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-02-19 at 03:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, Xbone version has been under consideration for ages. The reason why it's still not being done is because Microsoft is ass backwards. At first it's because Microsoft didn't want cross platform play. Afterwards they changed that policy so that games can have cross platform play but, it must have the option to play with only XBL players. Which in FFXIV that's A. Impossible and B. No.

As for Switch, if it's the Tegra X1, then it should be better than the PS3 but it'll definitely be the weaker of the systems provided there's no software problems. At that point though it just depends on how much SE wants to push the graphic / computing requirements of the game. The PS3 biggest limitation wasn't really computing capability, but RAM. Having to cram a lot of stuff into 256MB is pretty limiting.

Never going to happen. The Switch won't keep up hardware wise and the xbone version wont happen because MS refuses to allow cross platform play.

While playing on the switch would be kinda cool to play without needing my TV/PC I certainly wouldn't want to do it as a) apparently the tablet has bad battery life and b) would the Nintendo Switch even support a wireless/USB keyboard? (I don't really know anything about the console as I have no desire to buy one)

Knowing what Nintendo is like I suspect the switch would have PS3 equivalent graphics which would make the game look bleh. I'd like to see Xbone get compatibility even if to encourage new players into the game but i'll stick with my PC version personally

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    While playing on the switch would be kinda cool to play without needing my TV/PC I certainly wouldn't want to do it as a) apparently the tablet has bad battery life and b) would the Nintendo Switch even support a wireless/USB keyboard? (I don't really know anything about the console as I have no desire to buy one)

Knowing what Nintendo is like I suspect the switch would have PS3 equivalent graphics which would make the game look bleh. I'd like to see Xbone get compatibility even if to encourage new players into the game but i'll stick with my PC version personally
    The problem is while the FF14 team want it on Xbox One. Microsoft are being arrogant about it and want an Xbox One version only. They won't allow cross play with PS4/PC which would just be a version that couldn't last. They need to stop this and just say "Look we will allow cross play with PS4/PC players". But no they have their heads so far up their own arses that they choose to only allow a version of the game that would be dead on arrival.

I hope it doesn't happen.

I won't pretend to understand the technical side of things but I imagine it would take a lot more time to get everything tested and ready for a new patch/expansion if there's another platform to deal with. With PS3 support being dropped I'm hoping that frees up a bit of time/resources that can then be allocated elsewhere.

Switch: Won't happen, You can already see pop-in on Zelda: BOTW at close range. The amount of pop-in and other issues The Switch will have it just isn't worth it. The game would have to run at 480p on your tv. It would be the PS3 port all over again if not worse. The PS3 version is already getting dropped, I don't see Square Enix making a Switch version, Just to repeat the same issues.

XboxOne: Microsoft not allowing full Cross-Platform will be the reason its not on it. Microsoft wants to have a on/off switch on who you connect with. So those who don't want to group with PS4/PC can. This will NEVER happen in a MMO and it would be a massive pain in the ass. So that mean's Square Enix would have to make a XboxOne only version. I'm not Square Enix so I can't claim that will or won't be worth it. But likely it won't be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    The PS3 biggest limitation wasn't really computing capability, but RAM. Having to cram a lot of stuff into 256MB is pretty limiting.
    I though the PS3 was 512mb and it was the Xbox 360 that was 256MB. I could be wrong tho.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-02-20 at 03:37 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I though the PS3 was 512mb and it was the Xbox 360 that was 256MB. I could be wrong tho.
    Nah, other way. It's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Nah, other way. It's weird.
    That is kinda weird lol. Xbox 360 had more ram but PS3 had the better CPU (in power, but pain to develop for)
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-02-20 at 04:55 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    They should just stick with Dragon Quest X on the Switch and leave it at that and if it does happen I don't want the PC/PS4 versions held back because of it. I was already happy with the PS3 version being dropped and seeing all of the cool looking shit we're getting with Stormblood now.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Switch: Won't happen, You can already see pop-in on Zelda: BOTW at close range. The amount of pop-in and other issues The Switch will have it just isn't worth it. The game would have to run at 480p on your tv. It would be the PS3 port all over again if not worse. The PS3 version is already getting dropped, I don't see Square Enix making a Switch version, Just to repeat the same issues.

XboxOne: Microsoft not allowing full Cross-Platform will be the reason its not on it. Microsoft wants to have a on/off switch on who you connect with. So those who don't want to group with PS4/PC can. This will NEVER happen in a MMO and it would be a massive pain in the ass. So that mean's Square Enix would have to make a XboxOne only version. I'm not Square Enix so I can't claim that will or won't be worth it. But likely it won't be.

- - - Updated - - -

PS3 does have 512. But the other 256 is for background tasks and system stuff if I recall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    PS3 does have 512. But the other 256 is for background tasks and system stuff if I recall.
    Yeah, just checked it again. 256MB for systems and 256MB for game. In a sense 512 total but 256 usable for games. They're even two different types of RAM so... yeah.

To have a Switch version coming on the heels of PS3 support ending would be a prime example of one step forward, one step back.

Others have covered the whole spat between MS and SE over a XB1 version. Really disappointed in MS on that one...that being said, are there any other sub-based MMOs on XB1? I can't think of any, but I don't keep a tab on console games for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    To have a Switch version coming on the heels of PS3 support ending would be a prime example of one step forward, one step back.

Others have covered the whole spat between MS and SE over a XB1 version. Really disappointed in MS on that one...that being said, are there any other sub-based MMOs on XB1? I can't think of any, but I don't keep a tab on console games for the most part.
    at this point the xbones basically the forza box with my friends, its constant shift in leadership has not lead to wise choices.

I think halo wars 2 is the xbones only big release this year for example, not the hardware persistent games go to which is a shame after the 360 was a monster for online but ms has shit the bed hard this gen.

Deleted
    the Switch is gonna flop so hard. Nintendo should really stop trying to make their own consol and just make games for ps/xbox instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deebe View Post
    the Switch is gonna flop so hard. Nintendo should really stop trying to make their own consol and just make games for ps/xbox instead.
    How about you give it a chance and see the amazing things it can bring to gaming instead of blind Nintendo hate.

That said honestly no never xbone Sony maybe but frankly I see Nintendo going belly up before third party Dev

Honestly, I've been seeing a lot of interest and excitement for the Switch from the same crowd that loved the Wii - the atypical gamer and family types are loving the look of what it offers. I think Nintendo is comfortable carving a niche and not competing with Sony & Microsoft directly. So long as they can maintain profitability with that niche, they should be a-okay and I'm quite happy with them doing so.

But no way is FFXIV on Switch in my opinion.

I'd rather see them partner with Square for a spiritual Super Mario RPG successor with Super Smash Bros RPG. Mix in Final Fantasy character appearances ala Kingdom Hearts and you can do a full line of Final Fantasy amiibos as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Honestly, I've been seeing a lot of interest and excitement for the Switch from the same crowd that loved the Wii - the atypical gamer and family types are loving the look of what it offers. I think Nintendo is comfortable carving a niche and not competing with Sony & Microsoft directly. So long as they can maintain profitability with that niche, they should be a-okay and I'm quite happy with them doing so.

But no way is FFXIV on Switch in my opinion.

I'd rather see them partner with Square for a spiritual Super Mario RPG successor with Super Smash Bros RPG. Mix in Final Fantasy character appearances ala Kingdom Hearts and you can do a full line of Final Fantasy amiibos as well.
    Yeah that would be kickass. As for the Switch thing is people need to stop expecting powerhouses and look at what it can DO! I mean in all honesty PC and consoles really are becoming too similar and I feel the switch offers a future for consoles albeit the first of it's kind. I mean I dunno about you guys but I have always wanted to take my console games with me or not have to pause when nature calls abd the switch offers all of that.

Is it weaker? Sure but the portability and potential is imo off the charts. And frankly if Sony makes one you KNOW it will be a powerhouse. But Nintendo will be the pioneer to ecpirement. THAT is why I want it to succeed and feel it must because I can see an entirely new era of gaming coming from it.

Plus we are starting to reach the point where a graphics cap is starting to seem possible what with vr and 4k. Short of a holideck Microsoft lens or a neural interface this may be how consoles and gaming can compete.

Also yes I would love to see ffxiv on it but I doubt it will happen

The Switch is exciting but not for that price, at least for me. Here in the land of Kanata its 400$ just for the console then another 90$ for a game that isn't trash...

Either way its going to be exciting because soon they'll ditch the 3DS completely for software development which means things like Bravely Default coming to the Switch. Also if it does really well we might see the resurgence of the stuff that was happening on the original NDS like Elite Beat Agents and Ghost Trick.