Germany tells parents to destroy 'illegal' microphone in doll

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/17/tech...page_tech_pool

They are worried about it being used to snoop on families.

Why is 'illegal' in quotation marks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Did you read the article?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Yes. Devices of this kind are illegal in Germany. Therefore, it shouldn't be put in quotation marks.

Yeah. And as Mentar said, the article states that wireless devices with hidden microphones are illegal.

Which is why I'm asking.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Yeah. And as Mentar said, the article states that wireless devices with hidden microphones are illegal.

Which is why I'm asking.
    What I don't get is it's designed like furby's and such where you talk to them and they respond back to you so while the microphone may not be visible it's not exactly hidden either since to hear you it has to have a microphone. And same article say's if you can see the microphone or wires it would be okay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    What I don't get is it's designed like furby's and such where you talk to them and they respond back to you so while the microphone may not be visible it's not exactly hidden either since to hear you it has to have a microphone. And same article say's if you can see the microphone or wires it would be okay.
    The doll -- called My Friend Cayla -- connects to the internet via Bluetooth. The setup allows it to listen and respond to questions like: "What's the tallest animal in the world?" (Answer: Giraffe)

But the German regulator says the doll's design violates privacy rules. They worry that it could be used to snoop on families.
    So not quite like furby.

because its a quote?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsimp View Post
    because its a quote?
    Quotation marks are typically written around a single word to highlight that it's a word or to express doubt about the word's applicability to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    So not quite like furby.
    My point was that both of them respond to you and in order to do that they have to have a microphone it's one of the features of the toys so while you don't see the microphone it's not exactly hidden from you. The exact same toy would be fine if the microphone was visible or had visible wires.

Lol
    More people are actually concerned about the use of quotation marks than the actual article.

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    My point was that both of them respond to you and in order to do that they have to have a microphone it's one of the features of the toys so while you don't see the microphone it's not exactly hidden from you. The exact same toy would be fine if the microphone was visible or had visible wires.
    But not both of them can connect to the internet while having a hidden microphone.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol
    More people are actually concerned about the use of quotation marks than the actual article.
    Well there is nothing about the article that is unclear in any form and nothing unresonable about having a law that forbids wireless hidden microphones and cameras.

The doll is so incredibly ugly, the only reason people bought it is to spy on someone.. they also didn't even manage to hardwire the active microphone to the LED properly, as I understood and on some android devices this thing literally operates like a bug.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lol
    Because one might ask what the quotation marks should be for. It's actually illegal to distribute such devices here. Having a hidden microphone or camera installed on a child's toy which connects to the internet would have given the Stasi some wet dreams. Other than that here's a 1.5 years old video demonstrating how to hack this doll. According to German telecommunications law § 90 the use and distribution of masked spying devices is illegal.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!