Deleted

Writing laziness

Since i used twitter once, i really became very lazy writing walls of texts.

As i believe the core of what i would like to say also could be put into some words.

Do you think less is more? Or do you like to proclaim a complete manifesto in every new post?

Less is more. I abhor long walls of text that serve no purpose other than the author jerking himself off.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post

As i believe the core of what i would like to say also could be put into some words.

Do you think less is more? Or do you like to proclaim a complete manifesto in every new post?
    Arguably, Twitter is a much "purer" form of writing than the long-winded essays we're used to seeing, since until the invention of the printing press writers were forced to boil down most of their thoughts into easily digested bits. While some topics certainly require in depth analysis, more often than not long form writing just tends to be the writer trying to show off their sophistication with little concern for readability.

Being concise is a good thing. Making all points so short that they can fit into 140 words is not a good thing. Some ideas legitimately require some space to unfold; for these ideas, it's still a good idea to have the editorial mindset of keeping it as short as possible to communicate the idea without being so short that it fails to communicate the idea.

Also, Twitter is fucking retarded.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Also, Twitter is fucking retarded.
    It is, as they intenionally filter information based on your interests. Creating filter bubbles.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-02-19 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Less is more. I abhor long walls of text that serve no purpose other than the author jerking himself off.
    Sometimes it's required to write more than 3 sentences, as it explains the subject in the detail that it needs to be fully comprehended. Your inability to read it sounds more like a you problem.

It depends to whom I am writing and what exactly I am writing. However, the general gist is that I write as I speak - in real life I am very blunt and I don't like to blabber on when I could use 5-6 words and be done with it.
    Remember kiddies, hope was the last evil in Pandora's box.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Sometimes it's required to write more than 3 sentences, as it explains the subject in the detail that it needs to be fully comprehended. Your inability to read it sounds more like a you problem.
    I never said that. What I'm saying is that your idea can be summarized in three sentences do it. I do not need to know how "sophisticated" you are at writing.

Deleted
    Some people don't even write at all anymore and simply communicate in emoticons.

Human devolution at work.

Relevant
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

I never said that. What I'm saying is that your idea can be summarized in three sentences do it. I do not need to know how "sophisticated" you are at writing.
    You simplified it too much then...so you defeated your own point.

Moderation is key.
    Being too short can be just as bad as endless rambling.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    You simplified it too much then...so you defeated your own point.
    Nah, it just means I'm not good at writing. The idea could still be conveyed in three sentences. I just was not clear enough for everyone to understand.

Nah, it just means I'm not good at writing. The idea could still be conveyed in three sentences. I just was not clear enough for everyone to understand.
    Yes, but if you cannot convey it in three sentences then it is better if you use a few more rather than risking to be misunderstood.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my professional writing courses (for business and technical environments), we were taught to put the important information at top in as few words as possible. Everything below goes into specifics of your beginning summary if the feels its necessary to get into the specifics of whatever you're writing about.

Why? Most people don't read entire walls of text. They read the top then skim along (typical in an E pattern if no graphics are present) for keywords and phrases to pick up on. See most news articles.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it really depends on your style and personality. There is no one "right" way to write, although there might be some constraints depending on the context - for example, you don't want to write short simple sentences in a scientific paper, and, in turn, you don't want to have sentences the size of a large paragraph in an in-game chat.

That said, if you don't write long texts not because this isn't true to your style, but because of plain laziness, then you better work on fixing it, as it impairs your ability to express yourself properly.

---

Personally, I don't care expressing myself in a short way. If whatever I write is too burdensome for one to read, then they aren't interested in what I have to say anyway, or they are too lazy to put in an effort to understand my point - either way, they are not my target audience. I prefer to explain my point in as detailed a way as possible, often offering examples, or analogies, or metaphors, or multiple ways to look at the same issue. Those who are interested in hearing me out, will hear me out; others are free not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

It is, as they intenionally filter information based on your interests. Creating filter bubbles.
    That is nearly the whole internet these days. I hate typing in inconspicuous stuff into google and getting wow results.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.