Brewmaster - dealing damage.

Hi peoples.
    So, this is mostly for people that main a BrM out there. I've recently started playing one as an alt (used to be WW), and despite having DPS trinkets (Memento and Bloodthirsty instict frm mythic Ursoc) I feel like my damage output is TINY compared to what other tanks can achieve in terms of damage, especially on single target, AoE feels okayish with the recent Keg Smash change (still feel like nothing when compared to warrior or paladin's aoe though).

Question being, is it just me or BrM just doesn't have the toolkit to put up with other tanks' damage? Don't you feel like we could use some sort of Avatar, Seraphim, Avenging's Wrath, Battle Cry, Berserking of our own? (Cough Serenity)
    I am trying to maximize damage by changing talents, etc, but maybe I'm just doing something terribly wrong.
    Please share your opinions! Ty

Get Face Palm relics and spec BoC.

Brewmasters can do really competitive damage but contrary to other tanks they're really punishing if you're doing your rotation wrong

You can do more than ok damage with high tolerance but if you want to go high you'll need to use blackout combo(for single target/cleave)
    With blackout combo you'll only want to combo tiger palm and breath of fire (if you don't have the chest), and weave your brews in beetween combos so you don't waste damage/mitigation comboing your brews

Then you'll want to have a priority like breath of fire(comboed)>tiger palm(comboed)>keg smash>blackout strike if you don't have the chest and tiger palm(comboed)>keg smash>breath of fire>blackout strike if you have it

Face palm relics bring a fair bit of dps but they can only be found in Eoa/neltharion's lair and hov, and really rarely in world quests
    The barbed choker reins from karazhan brings a non-negligible dps on single target and a huge one on aoe, since it procs from stagger, it's a must have

In the end it mostly boils down to doing your rotation properly, you're gcd locked so you should press a button pretty much every gcd, and you shouldn't mess up your combos because it's really punishing

Thank you for the great info, Mokuna!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by venomancer View Post
    Hi peoples.
    So, this is mostly for people that main a BrM out there. I've recently started playing one as an alt (used to be WW), and despite having DPS trinkets (Memento and Bloodthirsty instict frm mythic Ursoc) I feel like my damage output is TINY compared to what other tanks can achieve in terms of damage, especially on single target, AoE feels okayish with the recent Keg Smash change (still feel like nothing when compared to warrior or paladin's aoe though).

Question being, is it just me or BrM just doesn't have the toolkit to put up with other tanks' damage? Don't you feel like we could use some sort of Avatar, Seraphim, Avenging's Wrath, Battle Cry, Berserking of our own? (Cough Serenity)
    I am trying to maximize damage by changing talents, etc, but maybe I'm just doing something terribly wrong.
    Please share your opinions! Ty
    I think they are doing good in terms of AoE damage right now, where they suffer is single target (aka most boss fights). Would be nice if they actually gave us a decent DPS trait instead of giving us shit like Dragonfire Brew that's like a 12 DPS increase for single target.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Yeah it would be nice if they gave us traits that boost our single target damage spells. Something like a chance to increase damage on tiger palm or more crits on blackout strike maybe? Or flat damage increase to the core ability of our rotation, aka keg smash...

10+ Year Old Account
    As others have said the single target's pretty acceptable with the aforementioned BoC and TP traits. Next patch it'll be even better when we have more crit and can stack TP to have up to an 80% chance to deal triple damage with Face Palm. You can get pretty frequent TP crits for over 600k with the right build.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprix View Post
    Yeah it would be nice if they gave us traits that boost our single target damage spells. Something like a chance to increase damage on tiger palm or more crits on blackout strike maybe? Or flat damage increase to the core ability of our rotation, aka keg smash...
    We got a +10% damage and removal of target cap on, Keg smash recently, and 10% on breath of fire too.
    The new traits in the weapons in 7.2 are also pretty dps focus for us, buffing blackout strike and giving the chance of every keg smash to replicate itself.

Deleted
    Brewmaster ST is actually really good, i can do 350k ~ DPS on Krosus in around 890ish gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    My question is for 7.2 will the replicated keg smash reduce our brews as well? If that's the case it would be pretty crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for BrM DPS, I comfortably idle over 400k in single target, and you can, too. Unfortunately, it requires Face Palm relics, and each of those comes from exactly one place in the game: Halls of Valor (Storm), Neltharion's Lair (Life), and Eye of Azshara (Iron), so get ready to farm M+ until your brain bleeds (I've done more than 50 HoV and still never seen Empowerment of Thunder). The one silver lining is that Brewmaster weapon ilvl is almost entirely irrelevant to DPS, as all of your ability damage is based on attack power, not weapon damage. This means you can get away with an 860 Face Palm relic, for example, and still gain DPS compared to a 900 Whatever relic.

Whether or not you have the Legendary Chest, your rotation will basically consist of weaving five or six skills in between each Keg Smash. You will only have enough Energy to sustainably cast two Tiger Palms in between each Keg Smash. For maximizing DPS, this boils down to the following:
    Keg Smash, Blackout Strike into Tiger Palm, Breath of Fire, Blackout Strike into Tiger Palm again, wait half a second, Keg Smash, repeat.

With the Legendary Chest, you will always be able to weave Breath of Fire between your Blackout Combo'ed Tiger Palms. Without it, you should just use it as it's available. Combo'ing Breath of Fire is a defensive gain, and a DPS gain against massive AoE (8+ targets), but it's definitely not worth doing for DPS in single target.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    My question is for 7.2 will the replicated keg smash reduce our brews as well? If that's the case it would be pretty crazy.
    It will! It is!
    Last edited by Llarold; 2017-03-02 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Llarold View Post
    The one silver lining is that Brewmaster weapon ilvl is almost entirely irrelevant to DPS, as all of your ability damage is based on attack power, not weapon damage. This means you can get away with an 860 Face Palm relic, for example, and still gain DPS compared to a 900 Whatever relic.
    So if going for ST dmg, an 855(+45) > 885(+53) of a non FP relic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fLaPjAk View Post
    So if going for ST dmg, an 855(+45) > 885(+53) of a non FP relic?
    Seems ridiculous, but yeah. Isn't Brewmaster grand?

Quote Originally Posted by Llarold View Post
    Seems ridiculous, but yeah. Isn't Brewmaster grand?
    Nice, love it.