Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Can one be passionless?

I have a good job, enough money a woman and plenty of friends. So im not depressed ot anything. However I lack a passion in my life.

I do enjoy things. But not with a passion. My job.. it's OK I guess. It fits my education. I don't have to do a lot of stuff I don't want to do. But that's it. But I wouldnt know what job would make me happy. I guess none. I do sports, but only for the sake of staying in shape and for the social contacts. I also lack hobbies. I did plenty of things over the years but nothing sticks. I enjoy gaming but after a few hours I start to question if I can't spend my time better.

Can someone just be passionless?

Deleted
    So you really have nothing that keeps you alive(Figuratively)? that shit must suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know you said that you're not depressed... But there are a lot of myths and miscommunication regarding depression.
    It doesn't just have to be crying and unhappiness. One of the largest symptoms of depression is a lack of general enjoyment. Someone who is depressed may not show signs of, or even feel unhappy; but the warning signs should come from a sense of malcontent or dissatisfaction. The things in life that should, and used to make you happy, no longer do. It is a sense of boredom with the world and everything that used to be fun for you.

I know I haven't communicated it very well, but if you are finding that you no longer enjoy things that used to make you happy, and know that you should be enjoying them; you should probably consider going to a doctor to check that you don't have a chemical imbalance.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I feel like the silver surfer most days...drifting thru the cosmos with no emotions. But my family is what makes me come to ground.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    I have a good job, enough money a woman and plenty of friends. So im not depressed ot anything. However I lack a passion in my life.

I do enjoy things. But not with a passion. My job.. it's OK I guess. It fits my education. I don't have to do a lot of stuff I don't want to do. But that's it. But I wouldnt know what job would make me happy. I guess none. I do sports, but only for the sake of staying in shape and for the social contacts. I also lack hobbies. I did plenty of things over the years but nothing sticks. I enjoy gaming but after a few hours I start to question if I can't spend my time better.

You should try heroin.
    That thing kinda slowly grows on you until you start being very passionate about it.

Feels great too. For the first few months at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's great to see threads like this, because it tells me that someone just started watching Dexter. And I love that show.

Seriously though, if you find yourself saying "I have a lot in common with this guy", while watching that show -- it's not because you're deep, or an introvert. Or "complicated".

It's because you're an asshole.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    It's great to see threads like this, because it tells me that someone just started watching Dexter. And I love that show.

Seriously though, if you find yourself saying "I have a lot in common with this guy", while watching that show -- it's not because you're deep, or an introvert. Or "complicated".

why even say that? I don't get it man.

Is there anything wrong in being an asshole?
    And Dexter was in no way passionless. The guy had a major passion.

I've always assume most people don't have a passion in life. If you do, you're lucky I think.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PassingBy View Post
    Is there anything wrong in being an asshole?
    And Dexter was in no way passionless. The guy had a major passion.
    Uhh yes.
    /10 char

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I get the same feeling often. There is nothing in my life I really "want". The one thing I do want I will never have so it's just an existence for the sake of existing.

- - - Updated - - -

I've not seen Dexter so I don't get what point you are trying to make that has relevance to the OP.

- - - Updated - - -

Uhh yes.
    /10 char
    The first step is admittance.

i feel ya, i've more or less just lost interest in everything, but i also have no money.....so atleast you have that going for ya.

Deleted
    “If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy and inspires your hopes.” (Andrew Carnegie)

Turns out this free-wheeling, hipster liberal mindset isn't the way to be happy

Be an old school man

Deleted

Not quite sure if this is a response because of a complete lack of reading comprehension or a completely failed attempt to be very vaguely insultive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think maybe you just haven't experimented with enough hobbies or such perhaps? Passion comes from many things both healthy and unhealthy. As we go through life we become passionate about different things and we grow in one way or another if we invest some time in them.

Similarly you can burn out on things you used to be passionate about, like video games. If you haven't found anything that strikes your fancy in a while and are having a general glum feeling attached to it, then as another poster recommended I would highly suggest to talk to a therapist or life coach. There is absolutely no shame in it and honestly having hobbies or even small everyday life events that bring you joy is something people shouldn't overlook.

For me it can be anything like the next good book from one of my favourite authors, public speaking at medical conferences, hanging with my nieces and nephews, exploring movies I've never seen with my significant other, traveling when time allows, or just very slowly learning the piano. As cliche as it sounds "it's the little things" .

Hope you find something mate .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Yes, that person is called a depressed person.
    Depression is not necessarily linked to money, friends or a woman. And that type of thinking probably is contributing to your depression.

Deleted
    Passion & dreams are overrated. Live a simple life, enjoy the company of people you like, a good job and something to do with your spare time and you've got it all figured out.

I hate my job with a passion....but really i am coasting at the moment hating my job but don't do anything to fix it as i am waiting to go on holiday in mau for two months (will do something when i get back as this is stable and i have a lot of holidays saved up).

However I am highly passionate about my hobbies and enjoy the time I spend doing them immensely. It is what gets me through the day and week. I don't want to make any of these three things my job thoigh as I beleive it will ruin my passion for them and suck my soul down further when i no longer have them as an escape.

The only thing i really want un my life at the moment is a career i enjoy (not sure what this is) and wouldn't mind finding a woman to spend life with but to be honest my hobbies are what I live for and i am content with that.

You sound like you need to read one of the more recent comic strips of The Oatmeal.

It was one that talked about "happiness." And then it tried to explain, quite well through aliens, that when we employ our concept of happiness in an environment as unbiased as we can imagine, through models of which we have no prejudice, then its easier to see that questions about happiness are inherently detrimental when one tries to approach such questions with answers, simply because of the nature of the question.

The comic then concludes that there is another word and idea we've known about but rarely search for today, labeled "Contentment." Then it makes a request of readers to measure their life by the value of contentment, rather than the base ideal of happiness.

Ultimately, it seems you shouldn't ask yourself if you're happy. You should only ask yourself if you're content, and you sound like you are from your OP, and at that point you probably shouldn't worry about it. Enjoy.

EDIT: After reading that comic, its shocking to see how many people in this thread jumped into "Depression this, depression that" and diagnosed you.

lol like anyone here is a fucking doctor or shit

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure people can be passionless. I'm passionless as shit.
    Then again, I don't have cash, women or anything tbh, but I don't consider myself depressed however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.