How many people grew up in abusive households?

I experienced a fair amount of verbal abuse from my mother as a young child. She struggled with alcoholism and hated her job, so she took out a lot of it on me. Can't say I really blame my her though, she wasn't ready to be a mother when she had me and obviously others have grown in much more abusive conditions than I could ever imagine, but I just like to reminisce about my life experiences.

All in all, I would say I went through more neglect than abuse as a child.

Complete neglect and carelessness from my fathers side. Neither was physically abusive atleast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk. It depends on what you classify as abuse. My parents spanked me sometimes, locked my in my room, yelled at me. But they were not at all abusive parents. I loved them both dearly.

10+ Year Old Account
    my biological parents took drugs and drank/smoked when i was in the womb. does that count?
    ended up being born quite early because of it.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2017-02-20 at 04:24 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

All parenting is abuse in one form or another.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

google Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD)

read books like:
    "The Narcissistic Family: Diagnosis and Treatment" by Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman (Author), Robert M. Pressman (Author)
    "The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists: Coping with the One-Way Relationship in Work, Love, and Family" by Eleanor Payson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    my biological parents took drugs and drank/smoked when i was in the womb. does that count?
    If it was your dad, nope.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    If it was your dad, nope.
    it was both of them. i was told they were drug addicts and my mother smoked.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Yes, up to 10 years old.

By MMO-C standards? I'm sure they were.

By normal people standards? Not at all.

Yep. Stepfather was a violent creeper bastard, mum was a control-freak. Was some pretty crapshooty years.

I can barely stand to be in the same room as said stepfather, he was by far the worst. Mum's toned down a peg and we get along fairly well nowadays.

Won't claim a perfect childhood, but no I wasn't abused.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

For those people who are unsure about it: if you'd grown up in an abusive household, you'd know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately I had the misfortune of it. My dad's parents died unexpectedly in a car wreck and it really messed him up mentally. It made him physically/mentally/verbally abusive to us kids and my mom. Things were different back then in the 70's and it was much more brushed under the rug. Today, he'd have been thrown in jail I'm sure, since my school in 2nd grade even called my parents in questioning some seriously massive bruises on me but nothing came of it. And my mom once in a while had to wear the dark sunglasses for a black eye from him.

That said, others have/had worse I know. I had 3 cousins who I later learned had a super-abusive stepdad who physically and sexually abused them horribly. Only 1 of the 3 is still alive, the other 2 died young from alcoholism/drug-abuse dealing with it. And the last one is more of an addict and mentally ill now than the other 2 but hasn't died somehow. I had quite a few friends that grew up in various degrees of abusive households as well.

So long-story short, based on my experience and those I know, if it's just verbal abuse and an occasional spanking or grounding, there are lots of people that have been through that. It can be a lot worse though, so it's something to keep in relative perspective. And regardless, my advice would be to just make a focus of your life to be a better parent than you had, and be successful and overcome what you've been through. It's not an easy path but I've seen many people overcome those things with hard work and focus. It comes down to not letting it ruin or define your life, or worse yet ruin your own kid's lives if you end up being that kind of parent yourself.

Yes but I don't feel comfortable talking about it to strangers over the internet. Let's just say the mere act of thinking about it made me start crying.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mine was pretty brutal. My Father wouldn't lay a hand on my Mother or Sister so if they pissed him off he just channeled his Rage towards me.

Mentally, yes. Physically, only occasionally.

Alcoholic father, beaten-down mother, pretty standard stuff.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    By MMO-C standards? I'm sure they were.

By normal people standards? Not at all.
    I'd love to know what you consider to be the 'mmoc standard' of an abusive household.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talby View Post
    Yes but I don't feel comfortable talking about it to strangers over the internet. Let's just say the mere act of thinking about it made me start crying.
    sorry to hear, buddy.. it can stay with you for a long time