Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ...
    Jealousy is strong in this thread.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    I'm sure she's donated more money to causes than your entire family will over their entire lifetime when combining the current, past and next generation all together. So instead of starting dumb petitions, maybe come up with plans on how to solve the situation, that would be time well spent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    https://www.change.org/p/j-k-rowling...spare-bedrooms

So, J.K. Rowling is all for accepting refugees - this petition is about suggesting her to stop talking and starting to act
    Cool. As long as we can have pro lifers start adopting.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Cool. As long as we can have pro lifers start adopting.
    I hate to say it but this is a decently apt reference for this issue. It's inappropriate to expect her to take in refugees the same as it is to expect people to take in babies. If they are willing too, that's great, but making it a reason in a political discussion borders on satire of common sense.

I do take issue with people like JK Rowling getting on a soapbox and saying we should accept refugees. Mainly because at the end of the day they will be housed in neighborhoods far away from her and their issues will not affect her in any way. Basically past making donations to directly help refugees, she has zero stake in the game. She won't be losing public housing that could go to other actual citizens and she won't be effected by the possible crime and change to the local area brought by the refugees.
    So clearly this is all a publicity stunt for her. But the insistence that she "put people up in her home" is asinine as well.

Really anyone that isn't going to be directly affected by refugees should keep their mouths shut on the issue. If they want to help, donate, volunteer, sponsor a family, cool. But 200 refugees aren't going to be moving into her pool house. They are going to be moving into the community rec center where the people of that community likely don't have much so that the lost of the rec center is felt community wide.

I think the connection being made here is the fact that some rich person who is very safe and secure in her own little world is advocating in favor of an issue that won't really affect her. The refugees take up services, they add even more competition in an already scarce job market, and in this case they have a religion which has had a pretty bad track record recently. J.K. Rowling doesn't have to worry about a job or a place to live or even the violence that could come, I'm sure her mansion is well equipped for security, and if not she can just hop on a jet and move somewhere more safe if hell does break loose.

It's the same with all politicians as well, a bunch of rich fat cats making decision on topics that they have no stake in. People are tired of rich people who have no basis in reality trying to tell others how to live.