Why am glad Trump & Brexit won.

Too many thread whining about how it all sucks, oh believe me i agree. However one thing can and will probably come out of this. Voter turn out, people will hopefully wake the fuck up? We had referendums with 90%+ turn out even in the 90s and now even elections are around 50%. The west needs to learn this lesson, democratic laisser-faire has the result it has. When only the lunatics takes part in the democracy, the elected will cater to them.

Deleted
    Should do what the Aussies do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    We still have high turnouts, so meh

Do you really want more uninformed voters voting for catchy slogans instead of policy?

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Should do what the Aussies do.
    What Aussies is do commonplace around the world. Most nations in South America will ask for a justification as to why you did not vote and depending on it, proceed to give a fine or community service.

Turnout remains far too high for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    Do you really want more uninformed voters voting for catchy slogans instead of policy?
    I just want more people to be active politically, even if that is only to vote.

The state of Lousiana, where New Orleans is, saw like a 40-50% turn out for most elections. Then this one year voter turn out went up to 85%. What happened? It was the governor's election, one candidate was a convicted felon convicted of corruption, the other candidate was a known racist and a member of the KKK. The candidates made it exciting so a lot of people who wouldn't vote otherwise wanted to say that they were a part of it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    I just want more people to be active politically, even if that is only to vote.
    Then expect a continual stream of charismatic populists until apathy returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    We still have high turnouts, so meh
    Brexit was low for a referendum of this magnitude, only around 70%. Referendum always have pretty high turn out usually because its social defining votes. Even in countries with higher voter turn outs, its still much lower than it ever was since WW2.

7+ Year Old Account
    Careful what you wish for.

Most people have no idea about economics and are frankly uninformed and stupid in general.

They already vote, they usually are lunatics too. Informed people are too often cynic and comes out with the idea that their vote dont matter. Which if its a single person, is true. But when 30% of your population and more abides to the same idea, well here are the results.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    Careful what you wish for.

Most people have no idea about economics and are frankly uninformed and stupid in general.
    Most people that still vote already have that problem, its irrelevant. People dont stop voting because they know nothing, most stop because they think their voice wouldnt matter.

I would said that's a bad thing, but it cannot be worse considering we've been through Obama, Trump and the possibility of Bernie.

The opposite would happen. The 30-50% that does not vote, does not fall for that trick, thats why they dont vote. That trick is already in play and it does not make them vote already. People need their demonstration that their vote matter. So yes more votes needs shit results for people to wake up.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-02-20 at 09:46 PM.