Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Son I never said total exports. I said some states in particular. Guess what? Senators have a lot of power. States have a lot of power as well. Like it or not, Canada is a powerhouse.
    No, no you are not. I live in one of those powerful border states, Canada is more of a competitor than a partner here. And you seem to forget that while Canada may be the #1 export destination, unlike you, the US has a much more balanced export market.

Oh, and dont call me son, its unlikely you are older than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    You are forgetting that this is all about NAFTA (North American Trade Agreement), signed by USA, Mexico and Canada. If you want to change that agreement because you consider that Mexico has an unfair advantage over you (which remains to be seen), you also have to negociate with Canada.

- - - Updated - - -

And the next Dune movie will be done by a Quebecker...
    No, we don't. We can piss on it, and leave it lying on the ground. You act as if this agreement is the ONLY way trade can happen. We were trading with both Canadia and Mexico prior to NAFTA, and will afterwards as well.

We have a $60b trade deficit with Mexico, guy. It's being seen just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The only thing you can trade for with Mexico is drugs, hookers and burrito's.... j/k

Seriously, what major exports does Mexico have that are of value to Canadians? Most of Mexico's exports are just an extension of North American automotive manufacturing.
    I see no reason to disparage the value of the hard work hookers do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    No, we don't. We can piss on it, and leave it lying on the ground. You act as if this agreement is the ONLY way trade can happen. We were trading with both Canadia and Mexico prior to NAFTA, and will afterwards as well.

We have a $60b trade deficit with Mexico, guy. It's being seen just fine.
    Sorry, "guy", but your clown in chief wants to reopen NAFTA. Not scrap it. So yes, we have a say in this. Now, of course, in the end, you can abandon NAFTA. You'll put tariffs on our goods, and we'll put tariffs on yours. Mexico will do the same. Since the salaries will still be cheaper in Mexico, I don't think it will bring much jobs back in the US. Some companies may even close. The car builders will probably invest in robots rather than hire workers anyway. And you'll buy your cars at a higher price.

As for trade deficit, it's even greater with China (and Japan and Germany) and you don't even have a free trade agreement with them. Hell, you have a trade deficit with most countries in the world. Maybe free trade is not the main source of your problems afterall?

And it's "Canada", not "Canadia". You sound like that dope on "Step by Step."
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Sorry, "guy", but your clown in chief wants to reopen NAFTA. Not scrap it. So yes, we have a say in this. Now, of course, in the end, you can abandon NAFTA. You'll put tariffs on our goods, and we'll put tariffs on yours. Mexico will do the same. Since the salaries will still be cheaper in Mexico, I don't think it will bring much jobs back in the US. Some companies may even close. The car builders will probably invest in robots rather than hire workers anyway. And you'll buy your cars at a higher price.

As for trade deficit, it's even greater with China (and Japan and Germany) and you don't even have a free trade agreement with them. Hell, you have a trade deficit with most countries in the world. Maybe free trade is not the main source of your problems afterall?

And it's "Canada", not "Canadia". You sound like that dope on "Step by Step."
    It's like you don't know how any of this works at all. You DO KNOW we can just say no, right? To the both of you? We don't trade with every nation on this planet, and the ones we do come and go.

Now, obviously that isn't going to happen. But your notion that Canadia has a say in the relationship between the US and Mexico is not shared by your Queen, or your Prime Minister. There would be zero resistance from Canadia if the US were to leave NAFTA, and then want to strike the exact deal on a bilateral status.

I agree that we have free trade problems. The problem is we are trading freely, but only two other nations on the planet are as well. Aside from NAFTA, our goods pay a tariff everywhere they land. What is supposed to happen, is when a tariff is put up, the other side matches it, then the other guy raises his, a trade war ensues, and then they both realize how stupid tariffs are and call them off. However, we just let them be put on us, and the story ends right here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    It's like you don't know how any of this works at all. You DO KNOW we can just say no, right? To the both of you? We don't trade with every nation on this planet, and the ones we do come and go.

Now, obviously that isn't going to happen. But your notion that Canadia has a say in the relationship between the US and Mexico is not shared by your Queen, or your Prime Minister. There would be zero resistance from Canadia if the US were to leave NAFTA, and then want to strike the exact deal on a bilateral status.

I agree that we have free trade problems. The problem is we are trading freely, but only two other nations on the planet are as well. Aside from NAFTA, our goods pay a tariff everywhere they land. What is supposed to happen, is when a tariff is put up, the other side matches it, then the other guy raises his, a trade war ensues, and then they both realize how stupid tariffs are and call them off. However, we just let them be put on us, and the story ends right here.
    Yeah, it seems that YOU don't know how it works... Or what is "free trade".
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Yeah, it seems that YOU don't know how it works... Or what is "free trade".
    There is factually no free trade on this planet. There are only three nations that don't use tariffs, and one doesn't trade with the other two. The idea behind free trade and tariffs, is that they lead to one-upmanship that devolves down in to a trade war, at which point both sides decide they are stupid. We on the other hand, chose to just turn our cheek to it and never fight back. Free trade is like communism, it only works if everyone else does it too.