Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Judging just by HPS is not a reliable way to conclude anything but,

- 170k HPS is low (even 270k) , especially since in pugs dps ignore tactics and take more damage than they should ( cause "its heroic, I won't die" kind of thoughts ). You should definitely look into class forums / paladin discord to get some help to improve yourself.

- 170k HPS even if it is low but the raid is not dying or struggling to survive is still doable.

- Compare yourself to the other healers as well, if they are doing 500+ HPS and you are stuck at 200-300k you are doing something wrong ( similar ilvl ). Knowing how to maximise the efficiency of yours class is part of your skillset

- Paladins are only good healing in clustered up groups aoe , as far as I know, try to hug melee dps and heal those along with the tanks for better performance.

Being removed from a pug group, could be your fault, your raid leader's inability to understand who causes the issue or any number of random other reasons.

The best thing you can do is to look how to improve yourself, so at least some of the reasons to get removed from a pug will be no more.

Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    if you have too many healers, expect to be low on HPS...Holy Paladins shine on fights where healing is actually needed and also are much better when there are less healers who carry with them "pad" heals.

- - - Updated - - -

It works even BETTER with Aura of Sacrifice, which is by far the most powerful healing CD in the game right now...and it is a clear winner in every fight Nighthold presents. It's even better in Mythic when you have a legendary like Chain of Thrayn, can easily top the raid from sub 20% to full in 1 global.
    I have to admit I haven't tried Aura of Sacrifice but then I wondered a little because with the ring wouldn't be best when Aura Mastery is up? Means I'm saddled to wait if that is the case (if I am under the right assumption here). Sadlt for me, the only decent legendary I got is the ring. I don't have the fancy ones like the Chain of Thrayn or the Obsidian Shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    I have to admit I haven't tried Aura of Sacrifice but then I wondered a little because with the ring wouldn't be best when Aura Mastery is up? Means I'm saddled to wait if that is the case (if I am under the right assumption here). Sadlt for me, the only decent legendary I got is the ring. I don't have the fancy ones like the Chain of Thrayn or the Obsidian Shoulders.
    It's still best becuase of the 5 second heals on Sac aura.. if you time it right it's amazing, just try it. put a bestow on before you cast it, pop wings and do direct heals, if you get lucky with a Power of Silver hand proc, you can do even better. I had a 3 mil holy shock from silver hand proc and aura literally healed everyone to full on Mythic Krosus, from sub 20% ...my aura on that fight did almost 35 million healing. it's the best talent, try it. You'll never go back

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I don't really think it comes to the healer class but rather to the way you heal. If you are in a PuG which is using 1-3 healers more than needed and you are afraid the RL might kick you, forget about healing properly. There are enough healers than going oom is never going to be an issue, just snipe left and right. FoL is a fast cast
    We mostly flash, and I agree on sniping, that's why fewer healers is better, or the right amount the fight needs. Mythic sniping is less of an issue because of the higher damage throughout each fight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    HPS doesn't really matter in high end raiding. What matters is efficient CD management and knowing which targets to prioritize for healing.
    Tell that to a PUG raidleader and you will get kicked lol. Non the less it is true.

HPS itself doesnt show if u are a good or bad healer. However it does show "something" about ur healing.
    If it shows 150k HPS at a heoric boss NH, u sure are doing somthing wrong, cos thats just too low. For normal its ok, cos u do more dmg than healing, cos healing isnt even needed.

Using Skada, u can see ur effective healing output, so it shows total healing - overhealing = true healing done. Yet if it shows 150k, I'd still say theres something not quiet right Maybe check the overhealing and see if u are on top, maybe u are too slow?
    I healed heoric Krosus and I pulled 500k+ as Resto dru and I was chilling it. Cant compare to pally tho.

Dont listn to the people saying that HPS or Meters "dont matter at all", cos thats just not true. If u have 4 healers and each has 400-500k HPS and the last healer is somewhere with 150k HPS, and the group wiped due to a lack of healing... Id kick him, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    If the HPS is enough to survive it's really fine even if you're not the king of your class. If the group is wiping due to lack of healing and you're the weak link then maybe you need to look at your playstyle and adjust. However, dying in the frost phase usually means someone fucked up as there's no sustained damage that really pushes healers in that phase.
    I agree 100%. Ideally you want HPS to be as low as possible due to the raid avoiding damage and mitigating with personal CDs. Another thing I pay close attention to is overhealing %, but that's almost a thing of the past. The only time I found HPS useful was measuring if you'd be able to drop a healer.

Deleted
    If healing is not the reason you're wiping, then HPS is irrelevant. Other Healers will likely know when one of them is underperforming.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    FoL is a fast cast
    doesnt matter when everyone has 3+ hots on them, damage is miniscule and every fol is 70% overheal

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Difference between HPS and DPS, theres no "overdps" outside of someone just not following tactics properly and aoeing too much.

Overhealing for the sake of sniping heals or bigger numbers is just really bad, as each healer class has different mechanics, instant, hot or aoe or just big casts.

People casting FoL over Holy lights just for the sake of being faster/more HPS will drain you if it's a long fight, if there's no immediate danger/burst damage incoming, but being over-cautious on mana is also risky.

Also HPS is deceptive as some mechanics aren't really measurable, like a potential use of Aura of Sacrifice or something.

Pugs are never as organized as players that heal together for many weeks/years and coordinate/position on eachother based on classes/tactics.

Mind you I haven't raided this expansion, my main is a Holy pala as well tho, and I raided mostly 10 man cata and first half of MoP on it.

Absolutely none. You want to know if a healer is good or bad, I suggest you take a deeper look into their logs, how they gear (ie wow, that RSham isn't doing great healing when we have 5 healers and they're slightly undergeared and stacking mastery, so their mastery can never take effect) or, their uptime on abilities/buffs, overhealing, mana usage, raid mechanics, that specific boss fight. More than just "healing done" meters. There's a lot of shitty healers out there that are carried by simply having good gear (healing isn't difficult to do, at all), and if you ever see someone bragging about being good based only on their HPS, they're most likely blissfully ignorant.

It's the equivalent of that idiotic DPS in a M+ dungeon who dies to a 1 shot mechanic and blames the healer and says something like "Der, the tank has more healing done than the healer!" As if all tanks don't have a ton of self-healing in higher ilvl gear.
    Last edited by Malygaa; 2017-02-23 at 06:42 PM.

Deleted
    HPS in larger groups is very much important. There should never be a very large HPS differential between healers. If one healer is clearly above or clearly below the rest, they are sleeping instead of healing.

Healers should be aggressively fighting to heal incoming damage. As a healer, what I want is my fellow healers to help me out bz keeping the raid up when the Marks of Frost explode, not twiddle their thumbs and wait five seconds before starting to cast Chain Heal.

HPS is a flawed healing metric vs DPS.

- Healer A healed a tank for 1.0 million. The tank had 100,000 health left and was out of cooldowns and about to get hit with a boss mechanic.
    - Healer B healed 5 DPS for 300k each who were all at 85%+ health during a phase where no raid damage was going out.

Healer B has greater HPS than Healer A.

But obviously Healer A was more critical to keeping the raid viable.

There are also other support factors such as battle rez, max HP buffs, Spirit Link, dispels, damage added, etc..

As some others have said, a decent gauge is how you are doing relative to the other healers in the raid. If you are way way below them, then you're not pulling your weight and are likely to get kicked. There's always something to heal, for every class. If the tanks aren't taking too much damage, and the raid is only taking slight damage then you will probably be below the raid healing classes, but you shouldn't be more than 3-4% below them. If they're doubling you or beating you by like 10% then you're just flat not pulling your weight. Consider running a slightly different build, or mixing up your spell choices (if that's even a thing for H Pals), etc. There's always ways to get more healing in your meters instead of someone else.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would agree on the consensus that hps is more of a general gauge, compared to dps which is more of a direct correlation to skill.

Even within dps there can be some factors that affect it, like if 1 person is more often responsible for cc, interrupts, or taking care of some other fight mechanic for the raid. Those things help out the group and are necessary but take away from dps a bit.

That leads a lot of people to incorrectly assume hps is the same and a direct reflection of skill, but it's not like that in the same way at all. In a 5-man, keeping the tank up is more important than other party members (not that they aren't important too, but tank takes priority), so a healer than spams the rest of the group more but lets the tank go lower will generally have higher hps but could actually be a worse healer. Likewise in raid groups it's easy to pad numbers with heals on team members that are actually fine on health.

Still, if you've got 4 healers on a 20-person team for example, and some healers are doing more than double other healers...something is wrong. That large of a discrepancy points to a big skill difference and is probably more than just a gear difference. And if there is a big gear difference, the lower healer should be putting more time in between raids on mythics, etc. to catch up. It's incredibly frustrating when you have people that raid that literally only play during raids for easy gear, and don't put any effort or time in to improve their toon in-between raids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by taek View Post
    HPS is a flawed healing metric vs DPS.

- Healer A healed a tank for 1.0 million. The tank had 100,000 health left and was out of cooldowns and about to get hit with a boss mechanic.
    - Healer B healed 5 DPS for 300k each who were all at 85%+ health during a phase where no raid damage was going out.

Healer B has greater HPS than Healer A.

But obviously Healer A was more critical to keeping the raid viable.

There are also other support factors such as battle rez, max HP buffs, Spirit Link, dispels, damage added, etc..
    can you fucking learn how to use words and stop shitting the word viable into every other sentence

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    can you fucking learn how to use words and stop shitting the word viable into every other sentence
    Come on, the shaman forums should be enough proof that most people use the word "viable" too loosely around here.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom