Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy Pally HPS - Tips? Importance?

So I have been kicked before, or close to being kicked before due to my HPS (pugging it). I am wanting to start a discussion on this because I feel sometimes this way of thinking is unwarranted (or maybe I just suck and need tips). I am a Holy Pally and it seems like a lot of the HPS is eaten up by other classes who have better raid heals.

For example one of these complaints came in a normal NH where there just wasn't much healing to be done (group was killing it). Another in a Heroic Spellblade where I was told I only did 150k before I died (it was actually 170k, and I did 270k the wipe before that). I died kind of early and if you want to kick me for that, that is fine, but should I be popping my CDs early to make sure my HPS is good? I normally save my CDs for healing intensive parts of the fight, and I figured the Frost phase wasn't that. I could be totally wrong, maybe if I popped them I could have saved myself from dieing, but I was trying to hold off.

So I probably just suck, but I am wondering how other people feel about this. I feel like if you are doing the mechanics right and no one is dieing then who gives a crap how much healing you are doing, granted it isn't straining the other healers. For Pallys we could have 30 seconds of intense healing and then 1.5 minutes of not that much, but the intense healing is needed to survive. Thoughts?

It would help if you posted an armory link/log from the fight. With out that then any help would be generic explaining of how the class works. From my own logs I was doing 422k hps on spellblade with non ideal legendaries and weapon that is months behind on traits unlocked.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ytical&fight=5

As a paladin you should have enough cd to rotate them through every healing intense part of the fight. Using avenging wrath one phase, holy avenger the next phase, aura mastery the next phase repeat. It isn't a good way to play paladin to use all of the cds at the same time because it just causes massive over healing.

I've had the same issues on my H Paladin. However this is the first expansion where I don't feel the need to just pop Avenging Wrath on CD and spam the hell out of the tanks. Overhealing kind of matters again.

Still when wipes happen people naturally look at the meters and scapegoat. I'm guilty of this myself. So in a Pug as an Hpal go for Judgement of Light and keep the debuff up, it's padding yet effective healing at the same time when tied in with other incoming heals from various sources. Light of Dawn on CD, make sure you aim it properly if u can. Bestow Faith on CD, Holy Shock on CD. Also I've noticed higher HPS going with Beacon of Faith over Beacon of the Lightbringer in Nighthold, both tanks tend to take a significant amount of damage throughout the fight at all times, and it allows you to spot heal the raid more.

Make sure your using Aura of Mercy and make sure you use it at least once per fight even if you don't need it. Even while your wiping. There is also a way to cheese Aura of Sacrifice.
    (Wings and Holy Avenger and Tyrs pre cast)
    (Bestow Faith or Hammer pre cast)
    (Divine Shield pre cast)
    Judgement of Light
    Aura Mastery
    Holy Shock
    LOD
    FOL
    FOL

Bit over kill though.

Thanks for the info everyone!! I have never really messed with logs, maybe that is one of my problems haha. Maybe I should switch some of my talents around. I also noticed on your logs that you have Holy Light as 4th most heals, I literally never use Holy Light. Do you think that is an issue? I hardly ever have any mana issues. I did use to use it along with Holy Avenger but I have been using a different talent there. Thanks!

With infusion of light up holy light and flash of light have the same cast time. So if you see some one at ~80% hp then use holy light instead. If you don't have mana issues then you should increase your use of flash of light which is a higher hps spell/lower hpm spell. If you're using mostly flash and not having mana issues then the amount of time you're casting spells during a fight is the problem.

Link your armory

This has pretty much the same talents as I had except I was running Sacrifice and changed it to Mercy. I really like Sacrifice but I was trying to get my HPS up, lol.

I'm not allow to post links, it is Brodspal on Black Dragonflight

Deleted
    dont pug as healer

Cocoon is a terrible trinket. Any int stat stick from a world quest is better at lower ilevel. I'm not fond of divine purpose/sanctified wrath. I'd recommend holy avenger and judgement of light. The legendary bracer is just terrible if you have any other options.

-edit

I am reasonably certain that your low hps comes from low active time, meaning the amount of times you're actively casting spells, is the main cause of your problems. I would guess that you're taking too long choosing a low hp target and casting a spell. I know you kind of tried to down play the hps from your original post, but it is really low and means you're doing some thing fundamentally wrong.
    Last edited by hexagram; 2017-02-22 at 07:17 PM.

Yeah I'm going to try switching out those talents to see if that helps. I think my problem is if everyone is close to full health I wait to cast, I mean do you cast something when everyone is 90% or higher? I have been trying to throw in some LoMs on these people but even then it is like someone gets to the heal before me. I have the legendary gloves which I could trade out just don't have a good bracer to replace them atm. I did pull around 370-390k on Normal Guldan last night so surely I'm not that bad, lol, but I was out of mana near the end so that is probably where I need to use Holy Light more, although I wasn't flasked for that fight either. Thanks so much for all your help Hexagram!

I am a hpally that runs with 2 Rdruids and a MW monk for our healing comp and ill just comment on a few things here...(Rngesus-Mannoroth)

1. hpally IS NOT a raid healer, we cant efficienty heal an entire raid, our niche is spot healing and tank healing...which is why taking beacon of faith is a good move (esp. if you have legendary shoulder, which i do)

2. in our raid comp im am either top heals or i break even with one of the resto druids...the reason being is that druids chew thru their mana fast trying to heal the entire raid. if you take holy avenger you will chew thru your mana as well. because i take divine purpose i can manage my mana better and near the end of mana intensive fights i still have about 30% mana while the others are OOM.

3. the only reason why i dont take judgement of light is because its an extra thing i have to watch for and i dont have time for that. but it is a good talent to take because usually SW is too much healing and u dont have enuff AoE to really spread out that healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellmist View Post

2. in our raid comp im am either top heals or i break even with one of the resto druids...the reason being is that druids chew thru their mana fast trying to heal the entire raid. if you take holy avenger you will chew thru your mana as well. because i take divine purpose i can manage my mana better and near the end of mana intensive fights i still have about 30% mana while the others are OOM.

Wouldn't most then argue that you are wasting your potential? Going OOM at the end of fights means that you have maximized your (potential) output, while saving tons of mana to spare means you didn't take a talent that would otherwise give you more output.

Which is why i started with saying im either top heals or i break even...if i were negatively impacting my healing by holding back i wouldnt be top heals

Deleted
    or you're just the least awful of your group's healers

3. the only reason why i dont take judgement of light is because its an extra thing i have to watch for and i dont have time for that. but it is a good talent to take because usually SW is too much healing and u dont have enuff AoE to really spread out that healing.
    Literally pressing it on cooldown on the boss is often more hps than SW(Unless you 2 heal 25 man krosus and want a big dick sacrifice or something). It's also a good way to become accustomed to the talent.

And while it is true we're not a raidhealer in the literal sense like a rejuv spamming druid, we can easily top single people off and provide benefit to the raid that way, or LoD snipe incomming damage. Saying we just have a niche in spot/tankhealing is limiting yourself. It's like saying we dont have a raidcd while we have devo/sac.
    Lilaith, resident flamer for Winterfall, holy moderator in Hammer of Wrath.
    Discord: Lilaith#9028
    Bnet: Lilaith#2476

Quote Originally Posted by Viriel View Post
    Literally pressing it on cooldown on the boss is often more hps than SW(Unless you 2 heal 25 man krosus and want a big dick sacrifice or something). It's also a good way to become accustomed to the talent.

And while it is true we're not a raidhealer in the literal sense like a rejuv spamming druid, we can easily top single people off and provide benefit to the raid that way, or LoD snipe incomming damage. Saying we just have a niche in spot/tankhealing is limiting yourself. It's like saying we dont have a raidcd while we have devo/sac.
    Thats exactly what i meant by saying it...in a literal sense. i said that JoL is the better talent but i dont take it becuase its a maintenance debuff and i dont feel like dealing with it. im also not saying we dont have a raid healing CD but, as i mentioned my raid healing comp, Devo aura is wayyy less impactful than Rdruid tranquility and MW monk revival. just think about it...other than light of dawn and our devo aura raid CD...how else do we heal big group? answer...we dont...we spot heal and tank heal, im not limiting us, thats just the way it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by revize View Post
    Wouldn't most then argue that you are wasting your potential? Going OOM at the end of fights means that you have maximized your (potential) output, while saving tons of mana to spare means you didn't take a talent that would otherwise give you more output.
    if we killed the boss somewhat easily and no one died then i dont look at it as not maximizing my potential...i look at it as me being the safety net if something crazy happened and we needed a big burst of healing that only i could afford to do with my mana. we got the job done and i was available to healing just in case something went bad in the last 10% - 12%.

if we killed the boss somewhat easily and no one died then i dont look at it as not maximizing my potential...i look at it as me being the safety net if something crazy happened and we needed a big burst of healing that only i could afford to do with my mana. we got the job done and i was available to healing just in case something went bad in the last 10% - 12%.
    If on say botanist shit hits the fan in the last 10% youre not gonna save it with your mana. Or are you implying you also "save" your cooldowns in case shit hits the fan?

Looking at your logs you could easily drop a healer, if not 2, and just kill bosses with more dps.
    Lilaith, resident flamer for Winterfall, holy moderator in Hammer of Wrath.
    Discord: Lilaith#9028
    Bnet: Lilaith#2476

Deleted
    Thats exactly what i meant by saying it...in a literal sense. i said that JoL is the better talent but i dont take it becuase its a maintenance debuff and i dont feel like dealing with it.
    so you justify playing suboptimally with accepting that you're bad?
    im also not saying we dont have a raid healing CD but, as i mentioned my raid healing comp, Devo aura is wayyy less impactful than Rdruid tranquility and MW monk revival.
    depends on the fight
    just think about it...other than light of dawn and our devo aura raid CD...how else do we heal big group? answer...we dont...we spot heal and tank heal, im not limiting us, thats just the way it is.
    just think about it...other than wild growth and tranquility...how else do druids heal big group? answer...they dont...they spot heal and tank heal with rejuv

Dont worry about ur HPS too much the more gear the more you will do. My healing is top 3 but im at least 100k less than our holy priest and resto druid. But the amount healed on both tanks is 20mill+ than any other healer which makes us viable and very important for higher end content. Once you get 4 set and what not ur HPS should increase I went from avg 366k to 450+ with 4 set and i have belt legi and pyraz

well i should have guess the conversation would become uncivilized eventually...
    Quote Originally Posted by treeqt View Post
    so you justify playing suboptimally with accepting that you're bad?
    so you're saying that because i dont take 1 talent but my heals are still top, that im bad? just because i play suboptimally doesnt make me bad...if my healing was too low and we were always wiping would be the measuring stick for that, so that question makes no sense.
    depends on the fight
    maybe, but overall tranquility is better than devo aura
    just think about it...other than wild growth and tranquility...how else do druids heal big group? answer...they dont...they spot heal and tank heal with rejuv
    hpallies cant heal more than 1 (2-3 if counting beacons) in a short timespan without using a CD; rdruids raid heal by spreading their HoTs over the entire raid, theres no CD to it and it takes ~10secs to get HoTs on everyone...thats how rdruids raid heal. its pretty obvious if you have played both hpally and rdruid to understand the difference.