Building New Rig

Hello everyone. I am currently building a new pc. My current one is about 7 years old at this point and instead of upgrading parts, I'm going to build new and let my wife game in this one. Here is the pet list from pc pet picker. I'd love to keep it around the 1k to 1200 mark.

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/rNTwr...t-gaming-build
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

What goals do you have? Mostly WoW, FPS, Streaming?

I feel a 2TB drive is HUGE, but then again its all of 60 bucks or whatever. Mostly I like the recs from pcpartpicker, but there are some brands I'd choose over a few, and that is solely personal preference because if I have good experience with a brand and their customer service I stay fairly loyal.

Do you need new peripherals?

Playing wow and dailymoffice work for class planning if I have to

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would go for the i5-7600k and a z270 mobo. you will regret it in the long run not being able to OC
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    I would go for the i5-7600k and a z270 mobo. you will regret it in the long run not being able to OC
    I would agree and toss in a nice aftermarket cooler, I've been really happy with my Noctua and it was easy to install, my CPU is always really cool and super quiet. Also, you aren't talking a huge budget jump either.

If you are long term for sure go overclock, ie keep your PC for 4 to 5+ years. For what you want you'll be able to meet your needs with those parts. You'll notice some great differences between your old PC and this one I imagine as well, especially with the SSD if you old didn't have an SSD.

Outside of a few select cases like WoW though, what real benefit is there to OCing?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9533/i...king-4-8-ghz/8

It has no real affect on gaming at all.

I used to say the same thing. Why not get a CPU that can overclock, it can extend the life of your system, blah blah blah. Looking at the facts though, it doesn't make a lick of difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    I would agree and toss in a nice aftermarket cooler, I've been really happy with my Noctua and it was easy to install, my CPU is always really cool and super quiet. Also, you aren't talking a huge budget jump either.

If you are long term for sure go overclock, ie keep your PC for 4 to 5+ years. For what you want you'll be able to meet your needs with those parts. You'll notice some great differences between your old PC and this one I imagine as well, especially with the SSD if you old didn't have an SSD.
    It's about $40 more just to get the OCable CPU, which also does not come with a Cooler, so add another $20-100 depending on how good of a cooler you want to get. If we go with an average, $60, plus the $40 more for the CPU, that's $100 more, just for the ability to OC and unless you play WoW it won't make a difference at all. On a $1000 build, that's adding 10% to the cost. That's a pretty big budget jump, for no real gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Outside of a few select cases like WoW though, what real benefit is there to OCing?

I used to say the same thing. Why not get a CPU that can overclock, it can extend the life of your system, blah blah blah. Looking at the facts though, it doesn't make a lick of difference.

- - - Updated - - -

It's about $40 more just to get the OCable CPU, which also does not come with a Cooler, so add another $20-100 depending on how good of a cooler you want to get. If we go with an average, $60, plus the $40 more for the CPU, that's $100 more, just for the ability to OC and unless you play WoW it won't make a difference at all. On a $1000 build, that's adding 10% to the cost. That's a pretty big budget jump, for no real gains.
    I don't see $100 as that much, yes it is between 8% and 10% for the High/Low, for extra longevity. And he stated the machine is basically just for WoW and work/school. So at $100 you aren't that far out to be able to keep the CPU up to speed for a few years. He kept the last PC 7 years, so he's definitely a long termer. And he has a budget of between $1000 - $1200. He is only at $1050 at this point he'd still be within budget. Agreed, outside WoW sure, OCing isn't that beneficial, but for WoW it isn't bad and doesn't blow his budget or anything. If it pushed him out of budget I'd be more concerned.

I don't see $100 as that much, yes it is between 8% and 10% for the High/Low, for extra longevity. And he stated the machine is basically just for WoW and work/school. So at $100 you aren't that far out to be able to keep the CPU up to speed for a few years. He kept the last PC 7 years, so he's definitely a long termer. And he has a budget of between $1000 - $1200. He is only at $1050 at this point he'd still be within budget. Agreed, outside WoW sure, OCing isn't that beneficial, but for WoW it isn't bad and doesn't blow his budget or anything. If it pushed him out of budget I'd be more concerned.
    Even for WoW though, if we use the estimate of approximately 1% increase in performance for each .1 ghz OC, it's really not that much. If he wins the silicon lottery and gets a chip that can OC a full 1 gHz, then yeah, he might get 10% more performance in WoW which at that point it would be worth a 10% increase in cost. Have to get really lucky to get that golden CPU that is a great OCer though. It's a gamble.

Years ago when you got much larger gains from OCing, sure, it was worth it. It's one of the reasons why people with 2500ks have not upgraded them yet. With it's OC it's still pretty darn close to equal with todays stock CPUs. It just doesn't really feel worth it anymore though. Sure, it's still in budget, but it's extra money spent for little to no real gain at all.

Who wants to spend more money for the same performance? Even if it is a small amount? How about just giving me the $100 instead? I'll get more out of it. I'll get a babysitter and take my wife out to a nice dinner.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you showing us test with an i7, when we are talking about i5. Now you are doing just the same as Deltrus did in the M2 thread. But i guess it's okay when you do it?????

We can't use that test for shit and we both now that the i5 is a better gaming cpu and get's higher fps in must games and do benefit from OC Because it don't have HT

- - - Updated - - -

Zoldor don't start with him. He lives in he's own little world where every body else is wrong
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Ok so can you all recommend a better Mobo. I will upgrade the processor and get a cooler.

Why are you showing us test with an i7, when we are talking about i5. Now you are doing just the same as Deltrus did in the M2 thread. But i guess it's okay when you do it?????

We can't use that test for shit and we both now that the i5 is a better gaming cpu and get's higher fps in must games and do benefit from OC Because it don't have HT

- - - Updated - - -

Zoldor don't start with him. He lives in he's own little world where every body else is wrong
    Because an i7 and an i5 perform identically in WoW. Just because WoW does not use the HT, does not mean the HT has a negative impact, it's just useless and therefore not worth buying. There is some slight overhead involved in HT and it does have a very minor measurable impact, but your not going to notice the difference outside of benchmarks. See here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/i...-generation/21

As you can see, the difference between the i5 and the i7 in gaming is less than 1FPS. So it's nothing like what Deltrus did, as SATA M.2's perform vastly differently from NVMe M.2 Drives. In applications that do not make use of HT and the larger cache an i7 offers, there is no difference between the two.

As for my own world, what world is that, the one that does not use anecdotal evidence and provides facts and benchmarks to back up the statements that I make? You are the one in your own world where OCing makes a difference in gaming, 8GB is not enough RAM and i7's perform drastically worse in gaming than i5's, with not benchmarks or data to back up these claims that come from your own little world.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vallin View Post
    Ok so can you all recommend a better Mobo. I will upgrade the processor and get a cooler.
    go for one of these.
    ASUS Prime Z270-A
    ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 2
    ASUS Strix Z270H Gaming

Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
    Gigabyte GA-Z270-Gaming K3
    Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI

MSI Z270 Gaming Pro
    MSI Z270 SLI Plus
    MSI Z270 Krait Gaming
    MSI Z270 Tomahawk Arctic

They all support SLI/CFX.