Disc Smite Absorb and AoE Damage

As every Disc Priests knows Smite puts a debuff on the target negating a small amount of damage from their next attack which can stack up to 3 times (I believe).

Does anyone know how that interacts with AoE damage abilities? There are some telegraphed charged up abilities like BRH first boss which you can get a 3 stack quite easily. Does the debuff work on all to lower the AoE damage or is it split up per target? For example if you have a 300k debuff (number for simplicity) with a 5 member dungeon team about to be hit with a 1M damage AoE explosion. Does each member get hit for 700k (1M - 300K)? or is it 940K (1M-(300K/5))?

I believe it's 940k, if it was 700k that would be incredibly powerful in raids and we'd have noticed long before now.
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

I tested this about 2months ago. Unless they changed something from then till now, its the latter case i.e the absorbed damage on the tool tip is split per raid member hit.

Quote Originally Posted by apojaja View Post
    I tested this about 2months ago. Unless they changed something from then till now, its the latter case i.e the absorbed damage on the tool tip is split per raid member hit.
    That is what they proclaimed back when this was first introduced, too, if I'm not mistaken.

Deleted
    I remember someone doing the math and organizing a nearly 30 disc priest raid vs ursoc. I believe back then it took like 27 d I sc priest to make ursoc deal 0 damage to the raid with all of them spamming smite. My memory might be a bit hazy though, but based on that it would take alot less priests if the DR wasn't split with aoe abilities. ������

- - - Updated - - -

I remember someone doing the math and organizing a nearly 30 disc priest raid vs ursoc. I believe back then it took like 27 d I sc priest to make ursoc deal 0 damage to the raid with all of them spamming smite. My memory might be a bit hazy though, but based on that it would take alot less priests if the DR wasn't split with aoe abilities.