Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Is there a point to celebrity political opinions?

Celebrities have, almost to a the man, come out against Donald Trump. With a few odd exceptions, Trump is the enemy of Hollywood. But do celebrity opinions matter? Are they even genuine? Are they even useful for political campaigns? After all Hillary Clinton's political campaign was a whose who of celebrity high profile names. She had more notable celebrity support than likely any other political figure in the country. Are celebrity opinions still relevant or are movie actors at least no longer seen as important as they used to be? Obama before her also enjoy widespread Hollywood endorsement and the Democrats in general are well liked by Hollywood but the Democratic party has not exactly had good fortunes save for 06', 08', and I suppose Obama surviving 12'.

Bonus Round: A famous politician has offended this celebrity, here is her thoughts:

Poppy is quoted as saying:
    "I'm offended by something a famous politician said. I have chosen to use the internet to express my opinion about it. My beliefs were challenged and I will stand up for myself. I will mock the famous politician that I do not agree with on Twitter. I am doing my part by tweeting angrily at a famous politician. The famous politician will see my tweet and change their behavior. My followers will praise me for my beliefs because they should think the way I think. I'm making a difference, I'm doing my part. I'm part of a movement."
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Well I can think of at least one celebrity who's opinion matters quite a bit now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    How the fuck do you even dare to ask this question after you just voted a celebrity into the White House?
    Do you know who I voted for?
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Well we have a celebrity in office right now...

Alternative view, if you have a platform and you think something is deeply important you're negligent to not use it.

You people just voted a celebrity into the white house and now you question celebrity opinions?

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually do not give a shit what they say, however like every American they can have an opinion.

I took exception to Meryl's Golden Globe speech not because her politocal status, but because of the platform she used, and it made no advances in bringing America together. It was just a bash Trump speech

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    As people, just because they are famous, does not mean they should be silenced or be forced to keep their opinions to themselves. As for "do they matter", I suspect that is going to be in the eye of the beholder.

If you value whatever stance they are "for" and like the person, you will probably value it. If you think their stance is dumb, or don't like the person, you will probably just roll your eyes and move on.
    I agree only with the celebrity in the video I posted in the OP.

But yes, generally I agree. I just wonder if Star power still has relevance anymore. Will politicians depend on celebrity endorsements anymore?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Celebrities have, almost to a the man, come out against Donald Trump. With a few odd exceptions, Trump is the enemy of Hollywood. But do celebrity opinions matter? Are they even genuine? Are they even useful for political campaigns? After all Hillary Clinton's political campaign was a whose who of celebrity high profile names. She had more notable celebrity support than likely any other political figure in the country. Are celebrity opinions still relevant or are movie actors at least no longer seen as important as they used to be? Obama before her also enjoy widespread Hollywood endorsement and the Democrats in general are well liked by Hollywood but the Democratic party has not exactly had good fortunes save for 06', 08', and I suppose Obama surviving 12'.
    Is there a point to your opinions? Or my opinions? Or anyone's opinions? Celebrities have opinions just like everyone else, only difference is they have the means to be heard, agree or disagree but you cant fault them for actually having an opinion.

Poppy is quoted as saying:
    "I'm offended by something a famous politician said. I have chosen to use the internet to express my opinion about it. My beliefs were challenged and I will stand up for myself. I will mock the famous politician that I do not agree with on Twitter. I am doing my part by tweeting angrily at a famous politician. The famous politician will see my tweet and change their behavior. My followers will praise me for my beliefs because they should think the way I think. I'm making a difference, I'm doing my part. I'm part of a movement."
    If I hadn't read the words 'Poppy' and 'politician' there, I would have assumed that quote was from trump himself...

Deleted
    masses are sheep, sheep need others to tell them what to do and what to think so yeah as sad as that is celebrities opinions do matter in grand scheme

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    If I hadn't read the words 'Poppy' and 'politician' there, I would have assumed that quote was from trump himself...
    In distilled form, that quote applies to every celebrity who has ever expressed a political belief on the internet.

The point is to tell you, a non celebrity how you should be thinking about something. Obviously, if they are endorsing a political position as someone famous it is the right opinion to have on the issue. You can then rejoice in knowing your opinion aligns with that of someone sort of famous.
    Last edited by Berndorf; 2017-02-24 at 11:53 PM.

Do you know who I voted for?
    Then, who did you vote for?

There is a reality TV star in the white House...so I guess celebrity opinions matter a lot.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Celebrity political opinions matter as much as everyone else's, which is to say very little. I find it funny when people are outraged that celebrities speak their minds.

Of course, people in our country were stupid enough to elect a celebrity, so there's that. The greatest irony, is that the people whining about celebrities in politics, are the ones who voted for the celebrity in politics. It's a nice little bundle of irony and hypocrisy all in one.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Then, who did you vote for?
    I wrote in "The Shape."

People would rather have their opinion handed to them instead of going through the trouble of making their own. They can just go to their favorite celebrity and think what they think. It's just like lots of news channels, but much less discreet.

Celebrities can't wear a hat without it being reported on, so the ones that have political opinions might as well be open about it.

Since most of celebrities are as one smart person put it bimbos singing about popsicles I really doubt there's point in them talking about some serious stuff which is probably beyond their comprehension.
    Another good example of the pointlessnes of their attempt at politics is the fact that most celebrities supported Killary, and she still lost, which is kinda ironic, apparently hosts of zealous followers celebrities amass don't trust them on political issues, which is a good thing.

I think people blow up celebrity opinions on anything too high. Telling me "michael mcconaughey" supports trump, is like telling me someone from down the street supports trump. Sure, I've seen them a couple of times, but ultimately, it is their opinion and I couldn't care less either way.

Sure is is fun to hear about the round-robin approach of dissing trump at the SAC award, but those people mean nothing to me and their opinions won't change mine.

Though that being said, do feel like there was a lot of "I done see this man on the television box . He's rich and he's a celebrity, I'ma vote for him!" Sooo... maybe celebrity and politics shouldn't mix...