Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohoots View Post
    I mean a woman making 30k and a woman making 250k still only get the same subsidy back so not sure why people are only looking at that complaining... This is something that is needed and keeps the woman who only making 10-40k away from going back to work... If your gonna pay 10k a year in child care now then there is no reason for these women to go back to work its cheaper to just keep them at home and that's what need to be changed.

as to the OP's article claiming 45% of people in America not making enough to pay federal taxes and this having no effect that is the biggest load of bull ive ever read... the cutoff to chose whether to file taxes is like 7k and the standard deduction is only like 6500 before income becomes taxable.... your telling me 1 in every 2 people in America make less than a burger joint employee working only 20 hours a week???????????
    So using your logic, why is it needed for someone making $250K?

Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    The EIC income requirements are a lot stricter than this proposed nonsense.
    How do you know that? There is no bill before the House on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cancun View Post
    How do you know that? There is no bill before the House on this.
    We're talking about the proposal.

I mean a woman making 30k and a woman making 250k still only get the same subsidy back so not sure why people are only looking at that complaining its not like the 250k is getting 5x more back or something... This is something that is needed and keeps the woman who only making 10-40k away from going back to work... If your gonna pay 10k a year in child care now then there is no reason for these women to go back to work its cheaper to just keep them at home and that's what need to be changed.

as to the OP's article claiming 45% of people in America not making enough to pay federal taxes and this having no effect that is the biggest load of bull ive ever read... the cutoff to chose whether to file taxes is like 7k and the standard deduction is only like 6500 before income becomes taxable.... your telling me 1 in every 2 people in America make less than a burger joint employee working only 20 hours a week??????????? are they counting people aged 1-16 into this or something???
    They are playing the game of Income Tax versus Payroll Tax. Since your payroll taxes are deducted from your income tax, most people don't payactual income tax. However, the same deductions apply to both so, it's a nonsense argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    im unable to take this seriously
    Whether the world's greatest gnats, or the world's greats heroes, you're still only mortal!

Deleted
    Yea, it's not like her father, who may or may not have a weird obsession with her, is president or anything.
    I hope she inherited her mothers brains.

We're talking about the proposal.
    The proposal that doesn't say what you said it says? That one?

A bit off topic, but she is always referred to as Ivanka Trump, but her husbands last name is Kushner. I can't find anywhere online if she did not take her husbands last name, or it's more an entertainment industry/media thing to refer to her as Trump. I know her kid's last name is Kushner, and when she converted to Orthodox Judaism she took on the name "Yael".

The proposal that doesn't say what you said it says? That one?
    Oh cool, we're playing the passive aggressive question game. So do tell, what did I "say" that it doesn't say?

*Make sure you answer this with a passive aggressive question.

So using your logic, why is it needed for someone making $250K?
    its not NEEDED but Depends where you live... if you live in somewhere like San Francisco that gets you a mortgage payment on a single income considering your take home is alot less than that and the cost of living is retardly high.. if you live in the Midwest you can buy a 4 bedroom house for cash every year....

Maybe it should have capped at $200k or something but its not that much extra cost to americans when $150k-250k is barely a scratch compared to the $10-50k bracket which is 1000x more people who have to choose whether to go back to work and pay a babysitter $10k a year and if its even worth working at that point after taxes.

its not NEEDED but Depends where you live... if you live in somewhere like San Francisco that gets you a mortgage payment on a single income considering your take home is alot less than that and the cost of living is retardly high.. if you live in the Midwest you can buy a 4 bedroom house for cash every year....

Maybe it should have capped at $200k or something but its not that much extra cost to americans when $150k-250k is barely a scratch compared to the $10-50k bracket which is 1000x more people who have to choose whether to go back to work and pay a babysitter $10k a year and if its even worth working at that point after taxes.
    SO, if you make $200k per year, and have to pay $10k in child care, it's not worth it to work? The fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    That is an incredibly unreasonable threshold. It's almost like she lives in some sort of bubble of wealth and privilege and has never had contact with the real world.
    It's not that unreasonable if you consider a single mother raising a child in cities like New York, San Francisco, etc. $250K living in a city like Des Moines IA would be quite wealthy - in San Francisco not so much.

This is a prime example of why one size fits all federal polices don't work properly.

Oh cool, we're playing the passive aggressive question game. So do tell, what did I "say" that it doesn't say?

*Make sure you answer this with a passive aggressive question.
    Clearly you are not worth trying to have a conversation with.

However, you plainly stated that this tax credit would not work like the EIC, and you have no data or source for that statement. I'm not saying you are wrong; I'm saying we have no way to know if you are wrong or not. In short, you are talking out your....

SO, if you make $200k per year, and have to pay $10k in child care, it's not worth it to work? The fuck?
    Never said that way to twist words...

This most impacts the people making $10-50k a year..... However in some places even making 100k a year on 1 paycheck is barely "ends meat" for a Family.

If you actually looked at the costs OK fine there is a little tossed in here to actually help career people get a little boost... but its far from OMG 1%'ers making bank...

and if you looked at the actual cost breakdown of who is gonna end up with the money it would be like 80% people making under 50k 18% people making 51-150k and maybe 2% people making 150k+ Just given the average wage of people in our country...
    Last edited by Moshots; 2017-02-25 at 04:38 PM.

I actually have no problem with Ivanka coming up with her ideas, you can see from her interviews she's quite an intelligent person(a real beauty as well)
    The idea itself has some noble goal, but the threshold should really be reconsidered, thankfully its just an idea at this point - everything will be brainstormed carefully before implementing

Clearly you are not worth trying to have a conversation with.

However, you plainly stated that this tax credit would not work like the EIC, and you have no data or source for that statement. I'm not saying you are wrong; I'm saying we have no way to know if you are wrong or not. In short, you are talking out your....
    I didn't say it wouldn't "work like the EIC". I said the income requirements for the EIC are different, more strict. That's not really an arguable thing.

So it's not so much me talking out of my ass as it is you not comprehending the written word.

Never said that way to twist words...

This most impacts the people making $10-50k a year..... However in some places even making 100k a year on 1 paycheck is barely "ends meat" for a Family.

If you actually looked at the costs OK fine there is a little tossed in here to actually help career people get a little boost... but its far from OMG 1%'ers making bank...

and if you looked at the actual cost breakdown of who is gonna end up with the money it would be like 80% people making under 50k 18% people making 51-150k and maybe 2% people making 150k+ Just given the average wage of people in our country...
    There was no twisting of your words. You used the prohibitive costs of child care to accentuate why this would be a good thing for low income. When you try to apply the same logic and reasoning for the rest, it doesn't work, right?

Your answer to why this should be available to those making much greater income is basically "it's only 20%", which is not a satisfactory answer.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Ms. Trump's proposal is very similar to the plan proposed by Mr. Trump in September: Child-care expenses for individuals earning less than $250,000 annually (or couples earning less than $500,000 annually) would be deductible from income taxes. Critics of the plan have argued that the threshold is too high and could amount to a subsidy for wealthy Americans at the expense of low-income families who do not make enough money to qualify for tax deductions.
    To me it seems that anyone making LESS than 250k will get the tax deduction...

If everyone below 500k gets the deduction, why is it only for the rich? The Earned Income Credit lets you get a refund for more than you put in. This could work the same way, and it would then be, in effect, a subsidy for the poor.

From the article: "Mr. Trump’s plan last fall included a higher earned income tax credit for low-income families who don’t qualify for a deduction, essentially giving these families a tax credit."

It would seem Trump is open to the idea of tax refunds that exceed what is paid in, so the argument that only the rich benefit, remains to be seen.
    This is what I thought, so a bit confused by the other comments.
    Am I missing something?
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    To me it seems that anyone making LESS than 250k will get the tax deduction...

This is what I thought, so a bit confused by the other comments.
    Am I missing something?
    I can't really answer, without knowing what other comments you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    They still aren't expensive enough to make $250,000 a reasonable threshold.
    So what is reasonable? is $125K reasonable? That is pretty much the same salary as $250K if you compare cost of living between Des Moines IA (my original comparison point chosen off the top of my head) to San Francisco.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic at all. I am just trying to point out that due to one size fits all programs like this it must use numbers that seem extreme to the majority of citizens because of the vastly different areas across the nation.