Which Rest trinkets for what situations?

So, I've gotten pretty lucky with trinkets. I have 875 versions of Aluriel's Mirror, Etraeus' Celestial Map, and Ephemeral Paradox, a 900 Perfectly Preserved Cake, and an 865 Darkmoon Deck: Hellfire.

I've got 23% Crit, 18% haste and 96% mastery with the Map and Paradox equipped.

I'm leaning toward running the Darkmoon Deck and the Cake as my baseline trinkets, subbing in Map or Paradox as the fight needs. Does this sound good? Should I have a different baseline setup?

Thanks for any input.

Aluriel's Mirror is shit (+3-4% healing)

I'd use Etraeus' Celestial Map + Ephemeral Paradox

If you got no mana problems then definitely Etraeus' Celestial Map + 900 Perfectly Preserved Cake

7+ Year Old Account
    If you have mana problems: Ephemeral Paradox combined with Cake > Map/Darkmoon. Map and Darkmoon can vary due to the procs. Map may proc haste more frequently, essentially causing more mana problems.
    No mana problems: Cake + Map

If you're on a farm fight where you can spend time dpsing and don't need to heal that much, Darkmoon + Map or dps trinkets.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korban View Post
    Aluriel's Mirror is shit (+3-4% healing)

I'd use Etraeus' Celestial Map + Ephemeral Paradox

If you got no mana problems then definitely Etraeus' Celestial Map + 900 Perfectly Preserved Cake
    i can confirm that Mirror is not the best item. But i´ve got much options on high lvl items. I´ve it as 910 heroic titanforged, giving +1225 haste. In a +15 mythic i did 484 million healing. 18.22 millions came from nightwell tranquility (3.76%) and 4.09 millions came from the explosion (0.84%). As second trinket i use a 880 Ephemeral Paradox.

Is there a good +crit trinket in NH? i´ve a naglfar but only at 860. I now want to push my crit (now ive ~100% mastery, ~25.5% crit, 9% haste, 2% vers)

I love the Cake. I've got only the 860 version but it's 5-6% of overall healing - that's awesome for a trinket. Velen's Future Sight is stuck between 3-4% on my RShaman, don't know why.

Shaman is the worst class for VFS so I can see why it would seem low.

Quote Originally Posted by BrioWoW View Post
    Shaman is the worst class for VFS so I can see why it would seem low.
    Really? Why so?

Because resto's biggest strength comes from mastery healing low health people. Once you are over healing people you are doing your weakest healing. I'm not saying the trinket is bad just that if it was something you handed out you should give it to your shaman last.

Deleted
    i´ve seen logs with ~10% total healing with cake. It´s really nice! I hope it drops soon titanforged

Yeah VFS still has amazing stats on it... I need to practice more and it will get better. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by naiboo View Post
    i´ve seen logs with ~10% total healing with cake. It´s really nice! I hope it drops soon titanforged
    Then u saw the logs of some really shitty healers...

The proc for heroic is a max of about 25.8k hps. By comparison, a statstick is about a 4.7% increase in hps on the int alone for same ilevel. The math is comparable. If you're a shit healer, the cake is great as you can push a button and get on demand hps. If you're a great healer able to regularly do over ~550k hps, then the cake is an hps loss over a statstick. And on principle, I prefer raw stats over procs. So there would be very few fights where I would actually ever want a trinket like cake. if any.

Note: that's raid setting only. imo, for M+ the cake seems amazing.
    Last edited by Jynus; 2017-02-28 at 07:37 PM.

I really think you're underestimating the power of the Cake. Not only the Mastery bonus is great, the effect is really useful. The shield is like a critical Healing Surge on 5 targets on a pretty low CD. Especially useful when you can predict incoming damage. And I don't think you're a bad healer when the cake has somewhat between 7-10% healing, I think you're great at knowing when and how to use it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jynus View Post
    Then u saw the logs of some really shitty healers...

The proc for heroic is a max of about 25.8k hps. By comparison, a statstick is about a 4.7% increase in hps on the int alone for same ilevel. The math is comparable. If you're a shit healer, the cake is great as you can push a button and get on demand hps. If you're a great healer able to regularly do over ~550k hps, then the cake is an hps loss over a statstick. And on principle, I prefer raw stats over procs. So there would be very few fights where I would actually ever want a trinket like cake. if any.

Note: that's raid setting only. imo, for M+ the cake seems amazing.
    I think it's also fair to point out that cake is free healing, 0 cast time, and not on GCD. It's like saying Prydaz is bad. Does it shift your numbers from heals to absorb? Yes. Does it stop other healers from sniping a small bit of healing? Yes.

You can have the shield up on 6 people during huge damage and potentially prevent a death of at least one of them. Without the shield, the player dies and you have to use a battle rez instead because you chose a stat stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    I really think you're underestimating the power of the Cake. Not only the Mastery bonus is great, the effect is really useful. The shield is like a critical Healing Surge on 5 targets on a pretty low CD. Especially useful when you can predict incoming damage. And I don't think you're a bad healer when the cake has somewhat between 7-10% healing, I think you're great at knowing when and how to use it properly.
    I'm not underestimating anything. the mastery is a wash because any stat stick has it as well. so it comes down to int vs shield. int hps increase can be calculated. So can shield hps. If shield is doing 10% of your healing, then your hps is low. There is no other way to put it, bad hps = high shield overall %.

A good example is the crit/shield trinket from EN. I got a 900 in my mythic chest. Excited I put that bad boy on and let er rip in some LRF and M+. It was doing about 6-8% of my overall healing. Considering the int loss was about 4% hps is seemed a great trinket and I went into my progression raid excited for the hps boost.

In progression, it did 1-2% overall healing. The shields were still just as effective. But I was outputting so much more healing overall shields were a far less proportion of my healing. Based on that I dropped it in favor of stat stick again.

For a mythic raid setting, I see little use for a random 5 person shield every 2 min. I would rather have the same hps increase in stats if avail. For 5man, that's a different story. Cake looks good.

7+ Year Old Account
    A good example is the crit/shield trinket from EN. I got a 900 in my mythic chest. Excited I put that bad boy on and let er rip in some LRF and M+. It was doing about 6-8% of my overall healing. Considering the int loss was about 4% hps is seemed a great trinket and I went into my progression raid excited for the hps boost.

In progression, it did 1-2% overall healing.
    While I admit the cake has it's limits and is stronger in 5mans, using a Vial as an argument against it may not help your case. Vial of Nightmare Fog doesn't scale well at all. As an example, for holy priests (close stat priority with us), an 880 Cake almost doubles the estimated +HPS of an 880 Vial.
    Source: 7.1.5 Holy Priest Guide from the Holy Priest Discord

Retired Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by TigerTiddles View Post
    While I admit the cake has it's limits and is stronger in 5mans, using a Vial as an argument against it may not help your case. Vial of Nightmare Fog doesn't scale well at all. As an example, for holy priests (close stat priority with us), an 880 Cake almost doubles the estimated +HPS of an 880 Vial.
    Source: 7.1.5 Holy Priest Guide from the Holy Priest Discord
    I'm aware, and that's not in any way relevant to my comment. Cake doesn't scale either fyi.

7+ Year Old Account
    Cake doesn't scale either fyi.
    I mean with ilvl, not a stat. Shield increase from heroic to mythic Vial is only 26k. Shield increase from heroic to mythic Cake is 97k. Having a 900 ilvl vial is significantly worse than a 900 ilvl cake, even if you manage to have no over healing on the shields.

By comparison, a statstick is about a 4.7% increase in hps on the int alone for same ilevel.
    Heroic cake can do 4.7% (ignoring the possible over healing from your normal abilities with the intellect gain) in a 5m fight, even higher if you're pulling around 550k (as per your other post).

So there would be very few fights where I would actually ever want a trinket like cake. if any.
    I may only be 3/10M currently, but the first two fights are extremely good for cake. Spellblade has plenty of good opportunities for it from what I can tell on our progression and I can already see where it would be used on cd without risk of over healing on almost every other fight.

Retired Shaman

Deleted
    I'm not underestimating anything. the mastery is a wash because any stat stick has it as well. so it comes down to int vs shield. int hps increase can be calculated. So can shield hps. If shield is doing 10% of your healing, then your hps is low. There is no other way to put it, bad hps = high shield overall %.[...]
    For a mythic raid setting, I see little use for a random 5 person shield every 2 min. [...]
    So let's do the math then. First i have to say that cake hits 6 persons, not 5 even if the tooltip says 5 but it got buffed some time ago.

Let's look at a ilvl ~900 char. I have 48489 int currently with 899 gear, so let's go with that as a comparison.
    An ilvl 900 stat stick would give about 2000 int. That would be around a 2000/48489 =4.12% increase in int. Let's say 2nd stats are the same on both trinkets. A 900 lvl cake does 773k *6= 4.638 mio or 38.65k hps. This means I would have to have 938k hps baseline meaning with neither the 2000 int nor the cake usage. Thus I would need 938k*1.0412= 976k hps including the int to be better with a stat stick. There are currently only 11 logs overall who did more than that value.

Now of course that comparison cannot account for several factors:
    • The cake's value is dependant on fight length. ( eg. if the fight is 6:10 you get a usage more than a fight with 5:59. This can significantly alter your output in either a bad or a very good way)
    • The cake is dependant on dmg pattern. ( You won't use it directly on pull and you can't just use it blindly on cd on most fights)
    • The cake is dependant on positioning. (You need to hit 6 people)
    • The cake is burst healing every 2 minutes and does nothing in between. (Which can be a problem, but can also be extra good)
    Thus the cake usually ends about doing around the same hps as a stat stick, being either somewhat worse depending on the factors above, or somewhat better.
    If we keep in mind that you need far more luck getting a itemlvl 900 statstick with mastery/crit than you need getting a 900 cake, the cake will usually be the best (non legendary) output trinket alongside the map for the average mythic raiding shaman. If you are insanly good (I'm talking top 50 shaman worldwide) you may get more output out of a statstick either way.

For comparison an itemlvl 870 char should have around 37k int with an 870 statstick giving 1560 int and the cake doing 586k*6. With those numbers the result is you would need 691k hps.

The less healing you do (be it because of lacking skill, overhealing an encounter, your teammates all having prydaz or whatever else reason), the better the cake assuming you still manage to use it somehwat on cd.

In small groups this trinket is just ridiculous if you need the healing and do not dps most of the time anyway (e.g. mythic+)