Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Man's face bitten in Anti-Muslim Virginia attack

Yeah so, like I said before, prepare yourselves for some dark times. Another incident involving a crazed, and fervently insane adherent to anti-immigration rhetoric is being convicted of hate crime. This time, biting the victim's face directly seemed to be the main method of attack, along with shouting anti-muslim racial slurs.

So, the USA is basically becoming Pakistan at this point, but with white nationalist extremists and guns instead of bombs and religious zealotry.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39110304

A US man is facing hate crime charges after he allegedly bit another man's face and used anti-Muslim slurs during a fight at a shopping centre car park.
    Robin McGreer, 35, allegedly approached the victim, verbally harassed him and left him with a "significant face wound" in the 27 November 2016 attack.
    He is charged with bias-related malicious bodily injury in relation to the incident in a Washington DC suburb.
    #SargerasIsComingToSaveUs

Quote Originally Posted by Leyl View Post
    Yeah so, like I said before, prepare yourselves for some dark times. Another incident involving a crazed, and fervently insane adherent to anti-immigration rhetoric is being convicted of hate crime. This time, biting the victim's face directly seemed to be the main method of attack, along with shouting anti-muslim racial slurs.

So, the USA is basically becoming Pakistan at this point, but with white nationalist extremists and guns instead of bombs and religious zealotry.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39110304
    I mean, yeah, but that was three months ago. Not that it isn't terrible, but it's a bit out of date.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    I mean, yeah, but that was three months ago. Not that it isn't terrible, but it's a bit out of date.
    Uhm, nope, this man was arrested Monday. It is not only not out of date, but putting his name with the crime, and processing just now occurred. He was a wanted man until now.

The accused, who was arrested on Monday, allegedly left the scene at the Tysons Corner Center in Virginia before police arrived.
    Fairfax County Police have not identified the 31-year-old victim or his race and religion, citing privacy concerns.
    Hate crime watchdog groups say such bias-related attacks are on the rise in the US.
    Last week two Indian men were shot in a bar in Kansas City by a patron who reportedly shouted "get out of my country" before opening fire on them.

Damn, that's like 20 minutes from where I live. This is a very diverse area and I've never really experienced racism here(I'm brown, Indian American), but to think if it can happen here...

10+ Year Old Account
    I already made this post once today in another thread. The FBI and DHS both put out statements of concern last year over right-wingers, who cause the vast majority of domestic terrorism in the US.

Remember the Trump supporter who gunned down two cops in cold blood over a confederate flag days before the election?

Now I guess they are getting their jollies by shooting innocent US citizens and desecrating Jewish graves. Imagine that.

Now I have to add biting the faces of people they don't like to the list. I am genuinely starting to wonder if right-wingers can sink any lower.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-02-28 at 02:13 AM.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Well obviously we should chastise all of the folks in the US for allowing bad things to happen. For Shame US, For Shame!
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Deleted
    300+ Million americans. Stuff like that happened before and will happen far in the future aswell.

Demographics are chaning. Back when the european immigrants brutally murdered the native americans they fought back aswell and did bad stuff.

Isolated incidents are often done by one crazy individual.

Difference is this was a crime of passion by an individual. For all we know he was on bath salts or got angry at a bar. Terrorists are recruited, influenced, given direction and pre-meditate their murders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    300+ Million americans. Stuff like that happened before and will happen far in the future aswell.

Demographics are chaning. Back when the european immigrants brutally murdered the native americans they fought back aswell and did bad stuff.

Isolated incidents are often done by one crazy individual.
    The problem is that this is not isolated, and not one incident. There is a bit of cognitive dissonance on that front. The reality is that these attackers were verifiably driven to do the things they did by a political ideology: immigrants should be punished for simply being immigrants. Again, proof from the Southern Poverty Law Center, and recent attacks all points to this. These people were programmed, and self-radicalised. They are simply terrorists acting on their own at this point.

I'll go ahead and say it: White Nationalistic Hate Crimes are a form of terrorism. They are, and I think it is time we start calling it that.

The common thread in all of this is the ideology; and it is a very common thread. It isn't manifested and/or random. It is ingrained, dark, malevolent hatred drummed up through a massive collective consciousness.
    Last edited by Leyl; 2017-02-27 at 09:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lot of economic anxiety going around.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    Difference is this was a crime of passion by an individual. For all we know he was on bath salts or got angry at a bar. Terrorists are recruited, influenced, given direction and pre-meditate their murders.
    I'm betting insanity plea.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Lot of economic anxiety going around.
    You mean racism, and xenophobia? Yeah, if that is what you call economic anxiety.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I'm betting insanity plea.
    You can't plea insanity and run from the cops; that's law 101. You did something wrong, you knew it was wrong, and you evaded the police for 90 days stealthily. In addition you screamed racial slurs during the event, and started a shouting match with the person prior to attacking them sooooooo....

10+ Year Old Account
    He attacked a muslim, ALL AMERICANS ARE RACIST NOW!
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    The problem is that this is not isolated, and not one incident. There is a bit of cognitive dissonance on that front. The reality is that these attackers were verifiably driven to do the things they did by a political ideology: immigrants should be punished for simply being immigrants. Again, proof from the Southern Poverty Law Center, and recent attacks all points to this. These people were programmed, and self-radicalised. They are simply terrorists acting on their own at this point.

I'll go ahead and say it: White Nationalistic Hate Crimes are a form of terrorism. They are, and I think it is time we start calling it that.

The common thread in all of this is the ideology; and it is a very common thread. It isn't manifested and/or random. It is ingrained, dark, malevolent hatred drummed up through a massive collective consciousness.
    Well there are millions of muslims in europe and the rape and murdering is going on and on and people are calling those "isolated incidents".

I think we should give all people equal treatment. I know that white people are a minority on this earth, but we should not be racists and accept white people just as much as we do arabs or africans or asian or latinos or everyone.

All people are equal.

Uhm, nope, this man was arrested Monday. It is not only not out of date, but putting his name with the crime, and processing just now occurred. He was a wanted man until now.
    Huh. Fair enough, then. Man, it took them 3 months to track down a facebiter? That's weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there are millions of muslims in europe and the rape and murdering is going on and on and people are calling those "isolated incidents".

I think we should give all people equal treatment. I know that white people are a minority on this earth, but we should not be racists and accept white people just as much as we do arabs or africans or asian or latinos or everyone.

All people are equal.
    Equal treatment means calling a spade a spade; and unfortunately in the USA we call white people "insane" and brown people "terrorists" so - given this is the USA - we should be calling these people terrorists. I'm not looking at the EU, or any place else when I say this at the moment. As far as white people being a planetary minority; sure but that doesn't mean the entire Earth has a non-white bias, bc if you look at western culture - there is an inherent white bias. That's ok though, as there are different biases for different regions. Its just how humans behave; however silly it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    Huh. Fair enough, then. Man, it took them 3 months to track down a facebiter? That's weird.
    He was skilled at evading cops; he may be a career criminal. We don't know.

All people are equal.
    What does this have to do with anything? Where are white people not being accepted? What are you even on about?

This particular crime was very clearly motivated by xenophobia. The current political climate is more nationalist and anti-immigration than it's been since the 1940s, with Muslims as the #1 group irrationally feared among the American populace. Drawing a dotted line between these two thoughts isn't a huge leap, and we need to be vigilant and make sure that we don't facilitate crimes like these by not calling them what they are and not focusing on why exactly they're so wrong.

Deleted
    Equal treatment means calling a spade a spade; and unfortunately in the USA we call white people "insane" and brown people "terrorists" so - given this is the USA - we should be calling these people terrorists. I'm not looking at the EU, or any place else when I say this at the moment. As far as white people being a planetary minority; sure but that doesn't mean the entire Earth has a non-white bias, bc if you look at western culture - there is an inherent white bias. That's ok though, as there are different biases for different regions. Its just how humans behave; however silly it is.

- - - Updated - - -

He was skilled at evading cops; he may be a career criminal. We don't know.

Yeah that is true, but I am not going to call all muslims evil just because 50% of them are terrorists, murdering people, beheading their wives, marrying children under the age of 10.
    I know a few very nice muslims actually who don't take their faith to serious, but are more open minded.

Same thing with white people. just because an extremely small amount have done something bad it doesn't mean white people are supremacists.

It is also pretty racists that the word white supremacists containts the word white.

Yeah that is true, but I am not going to call all muslims evil just because 50% of them are terrorists, murdering people, beheading their wives, marrying children under the age of 10.
    I know a few very nice muslims actually who don't take their faith to serious, but are more open minded.

Same thing with white people. just because an extremely small amount have done something bad it doesn't mean white people are supremacists.

It is also pretty racists that the word white supremacists containts the word white.
    Oh, you're trolling. Okay. That explains that.

Quote Originally Posted by burzian View Post
    Oh, you're trolling. Okay. That explains that.
    Yes, stating that we shouldn't stamp labels on everyone, that shares this nor that characteristic, due the actions of some, is trolling.